Internal harddrive dying? VST's and samples in external?

liem

I recently got some vst's in my setup but they take a decent amount of GB. I have an internal C drive of 128 GB and a 2nd internal hard drive with 2tb. I'm just concerned that when i put VST's and samples in my 2tb internal hard drive that it might die or something wrong will happen in the future. Is it possible to backup these VST's and samples successfully on an external hard drive? Usually VST's install directly into the computer so i'm not too sure if backing it up will do any good.

what brand of drive for the 2tb?

I've had one die on me recently, and it was a pain and a half - but, fortunately, I'm big on keeping some drives solely for backup, and have a reasonably regular backup/mirroring program in place - I use a network storage array and a program called SyncBackPro, well worth the license for the peace of mind it brings.

What you need to make sure of is that you have backups of all of your installers - they are the key to repopulating a system drive/samples drive, not the individual files that are actually installed.......

you might also consider creatinga text file in notepad or similar that contains all of the registration details for each piece of software you have installed and are ever likely to have to reinstall. Add each new program as you install it. That way if you do have a tragedy and your system drive crashes and burns, you can easily copy and paste the user registration details

Last edited:
What you need to make sure of is that you have backups of all of your installers - they are the key to repopulating a system drive/samples drive, not the individual files that are actually installed.......

you might also consider creatinga text file in notepad or similar that contains all of the registration details for each piece of software you have installed and are ever likely to have to reinstall. Add each new program as you install it. That way if you do have a tragedy and your system drive crashes and burns, you can easily copy and paste the user registration details

This is exactly how I have mine setup. Word for word.

My external is a 500GB one. It's a few years old now and almost maxed out.. so i'm going to grab another one soon just to duplicate it before it fails on me. I would anticipate all hard drives to eventually fail lol.... just so u can prepare for the worse. (Hope i'm not jinxing myself here... i need to hurry n grab my backup for the backup.

what brand of drive for the 2tb?

I've had one die on me recently, and it was a pain and a half - but, fortunately, I'm big on keeping some drives solely for backup, and have a reasonably regular backup/mirroring program in place - I use a network storage array and a program called SyncBackPro, well worth the license for the peace of mind it brings.

The brand is Baracuda SeaGate. Has been working exceptionally well but last thing I want is the pain of reinstalling every piece of software because most of my VST's are on that internal hard drive. So lets say in a couple of years I buy another internal hard drive, will the process of placing all my VST's and samples from that old hard drive into the new one I bought be seamlessly easy? Or do I have to reinstall everything again? If that makes sense...?

according to Googles analysis of their storage drives (they have the largest server farm and therefore largest range and array of hard drives any where in the world) and mean-time-to-failure per model and brand, maxtor and seagate are more likely to go than Western Digital and Sony, fujutisu and others.

I have had a 500gb maxtor die and 2tb WD die in the last 3 years - but have managed to survive due to a stringent backup plan.......

Do you think its better to just buy another internal hard drive and transfer all the files into their? Or buy an external? Is there really a difference?
according to Googles analysis of their storage drives (they have the largest server farm and therefore largest range and array of hard drives any where in the world) and mean-time-to-failure per model and brand, maxtor and seagate are more likely to go than Western Digital and Sony, fujutisu and others.

I have had a 500gb maxtor die and 2tb WD die in the last 3 years - but have managed to survive due to a stringent backup plan.......

Back