Inspiration

Insomniacs Unite

His Royal Dopeness
For my first thread, I wish to ask several questions about something I personally struggle with. Becoming inspired, or inspiration in general.

1. How would you describe inspiration?

2. What inspires you personally?

3. What do you do when you cant seem to find any inspiration?

I have a lot of difficulty finding inspiration, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Good question. If you want to be inspired go watch Eric Thomas on youtube or check out mateusz m videos. Inspiration works different for everyone but these videos i think will work

I believe inspiration is a bit of a buzz word. Artists who only get something done if they are "inspired", don't really get much done, because they may wait forever to feel inspired. Among writers, there's a often cited quote that sums that up: "I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at nine o’clock every morning." This applies to many professional artists.

Personally, I rarely have moments where I sit around and suddenly get struck by inspiration. More often, I sit down and start doing something, anything. Play random notes, or do "freewriting", and usually after a bit some idea pops up and I explore them further (and often throw away the results, then try something new, but frequently I learn something nonetheless).

I also feel that inspiration is a direct result of exposure to (a lot of) the art you want to recreate. As a writer, you'd read a ton (and read it like a writer, not like a consumer), and as a composer or producer you listen to a lot of other people's music across different genres (and likewise, you need to listen like a producer: analyze what you hear, "hear through the sounds" and recognize the structure, the beats, and ask curious questions like "I wonder how he did that" and then actively figure out the answers).

Most "art" is just the result of hard work. Every so often, someone does something really outstanding ("real art"), something for the ages. But the majority of music, writing, graphical art is all the result of deliberate and focused practice, hard work, persistence, and experience.

(This may be a controversial opinion.)

I think the biggest inspiration is you.

One of my biggest inspirations is me or stuff that resonates me and stuff that I like

There's nothing greater than your own creative flow.

Last edited:
I get inspired by going on a run. Seriously, having a clear mind is all it takes to refocus on the fact that music is worth pursuing for the simple pleasure of creating it.

1. Inspiration is anything that motivates you.

2. I'm inspired by seeing people who hustle achieve great stuff, I can't stand people who are lazy and OK with being "normal".

I think of people who died too early, and what they would give for another day, and it bothers me to see how people take today for granted.

Not saying I get the most out of every day all day, but I really don't have much respect for people who don't have ambition.

3. I get inspired by a lot of things.

I love that I have direction and I'm pursuing my dreams because that makes me special, cause most people are OK with working their 40 a week and living check to check.

Working out sometimes helps with inspiration.

Sex is good too :cheers:

I don't get out much so sometimes when I need inspiration and just gotta get out the house seeing my friends around town is awesome.

Music, movies, videos, reading books sometimes help inspire me, also autobiographies of successful people.

Back