Indie Hip Hop labels

Tor

Anyone care to drop a few names of successful independent hip hop labels? (ie actually making $$)

any style really , as it's hard to keep up with that sort of thing being here in australia and all...

any takers?

~Tor

i can think of a lot of small labels but I'm not sure if they're indie or not. Swishahouse based out of Houston is making a lot of money and I'm pretty sure they're independent.

Peace.

Big OOMP Records is independent an has refused offers by the majors to sign label deals.
Lil Jon/ B.M.E. was independent before (mid July of last year)and they were already making money.
Noontime (Off and on again)
Swishahouse has been moving mix cds, and some projects on their own.

All the labels I named are from the south... To be honest I don't know if the independent game is as big in the West or in the New York area. Especially since 50 came to the majors and the media found out that he was moving units himself before being signed an they were acting like this was unheard of.

But all the "successful" independent labels where I'm from are being bought up by Universal or some other misc label to be dropped a year later because Universal or ______ records doesn't know how to promote them.

Last edited by a moderator:
KomplexBeats said:
i can think of a lot of small labels but I'm not sure if they're indie or not. Swishahouse based out of Houston is making a lot of money and I'm pretty sure they're independent.

Peace.
it's funny because Swishahouse is not what you would call a hip hop label

in fact they never put out a real album that i can think of, they have made all there money offa "slowed down mix cd's"

but i guess i can say they are successful because alot of people born in the 1980's+ in Houston eat that shhit up...they have sold lots of albums

the slowed down game was hot down here in the mid 90's because of Dj Screw, everbody and they mama jumped on the band wagon after screw died and now there are 100 slowed down clicks putting out mixed cd's capitalizing on the popularity

as far as independent scene down here, there are probably 2000+ independent labels in houston, everyone has a family member or know someone with a label, haha

there have been alot of succesful labels though, it all started with RAP-A-LOT records, then came labels like BIGTYME records, SUAVEHOUSE, BEATBOX, WRECKSHOP, JAM DOWN/RELIANT so on and so forth, RAP-A-LOT although they been out tthe mix is the only one though with real longevity...most of the others a broke as fucc cuz of mismanagement and the Distribution had got messed up last year and left alot of labels hangin

Last edited:
Back