Indie Dance / Nu Disco Newbie

RidersofRohan

I've been trying to get into production for awhile now. I have a pretty good setup as I have studio monitors due to DJing and a friend gave me a microKorg for free! I am very proficient with Ableton live because I use it to DJ and have started learning music theory. I am a HUGE fan of Indie Dance/ Nu Disco and would love to learn more about making THAT sort of sound.

Stuff like:
Jump Jump Dance Dance - Show me the night (Grum Remix),
Chromeo - Bonafied Lovin (RAC Remix),
Yuksek - On A Train (The Magician Remix).
[Sorry, I wanted to post links but I haven't posted enough yet!]

Does anyone have any suggestions on tutorials? Books on these sort of things? Hints and Tips? Or even a description on the sort of things this genre likes to use? Types of drum racks used, common songwriting techniques etc?

Note: I've checked out Sonic Academy's tutorials on disco and stuff and have found them pretty unsatisfying.

Thanks for your time guys!

I look forward to being pretty involved in these forums.

From what I've heard in your examples, the style seem to use a lot of 80's inspired bass sound as well as different pads/leads from synthpop, plus oldschool house elements of course. Then I can also hear some of the early 90's sound here and there.
So check production tutorials for synthpop, and oldschool'ish house, etc.

More importantly, sit down and analyze the music you want to create, and shred the songs apart to hear what's really going on, that's one of the best ways to learn.

Also, don't get too stuck on that you must produce this style, just do your thing and see where it leads you, that will give your music a much more unique signature and sound. :)

Good luck!

Thanks so much! That is exactly the sort of input I was looking for!

I don't intend to restrict myself in the long term, I just want to learn with stuff that I enjoy. I will use this as an entry point and see what happens :)

Back