Increase your output like crazy...

soso def!

I have a technique that I use sometimes when I (literally) "get stuck in the loop" when Im making beats, or when I find myself having only done like 4 beats in two weeks. I call it: THE 20 minute drill:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE TECHNIQUE

here's what you can do:

1. Open up your DAW and pick your instruments and samples first. Pick'em wisely so that you dont feel like going back to switch them.

2. Choose a tempo that you are comfortable with. (Basically make sure that all pre-settings are set so that you are ready to go).

3. Take your mobile and set an alarm: I prefer 20 minutes, but you might prefer 15 minutes, or 30 minutes. but you'll figure that out what your preference is once you done it a couple of times.

4. Ready, set, go!

5. Stop, when the time is up!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BENEFITS

This technique has several benefits:

• If you do this like 5 times in a row, you obviously end up with like 5 new loops, made in only like 1 and a half hr.
  • Furthermore, it is a great way to train your instinct to make quick decisions. A skill that you'll need the higher you climb the ladder.
  • You learn to pick your instruments wisely and instinctively. And if it sounds wack you can always go back and figure out why. This way you can learn from your mistakes, too.
  • The speed forces you to act quickly. And by doing so, anything that you might lack in skill our technique will be revealed. that again is a great source for you to identify the key areas you might wanna practice next. (check this post, on how to do that)
  • If you have liek perfecionist tendencies it will also help you to get more comfortable with producing sth that is not perfect and learning that it's ok to do so. you dont gotta release what's wack, nah meen?! Pro's do wack music, too, but no one ever hears it.
  • It's cool to deal with producer's block because you jsut dont give a damn. You just do what you gotta do. that stuff is more like working out than anything else.

One more thing:

It might happen that not all the beats you produce this way are "hot". but I promise that 1 out of 4 will definitely have potential to become a song. it's always like that. about 2 out of 10 or maybe bout 4 out of 20 songs, beats, lyrics, are hot. the rest is more like...standard..average..dunno why...but it usually comes close to that.

however, the other beats, the rest that is not that "hot", is like I said, perfect in order for to identify the areas where yu are still lacking skill, and what you could improve in future by focusing on that particular area. And that is exactly how this technique can help make waaay better beats in future. this is much more effective than just tweaking on a bass drum forever and finshing one good beat in a week...

Let me know if it helps. it definitely works for me.

Last edited:
Back