I'm new, would learning an instrument help me in making progressive house style music

U

Uffizi

I am new to this kinda stuff but really want to get into making music, i specifically want to start of by making deadmau5 style music. I am using Fl Studio 11 and was just wondering if there is any tips or videos that you guys could link me to help me get started.

Also I have a piano at my house and was thinking would it help with making chords and stuff if I learnt how to play the piano because I have never played a musical instrument and don't know much about music theory at the moment.

Cheers lads.

the fastest way to learn and understand music whether theory or just music is to play an instrument; all other paths take far longer and are littered with the corpses of those who tried, despaired and failed

so, yes learn piano or keyboard

learn about scales, about chords, about chord progressions, about rhythm, about melodic design

ask limited specific questions (1 idea per question post, at least to begin with) about any thing here at fp, several folks will be able to help you

Last edited:
I'm gonna agree but also slightly disagree depending on what your long term goal is. Since you mention deadmau, i'm assuming you also want to dj. I've played guitar and drums in several bands for over 10 years but only recently starting to learn dj'ing as a challenge to myself. While they are related, they are also very, VERY different. It's like the mixer, the turntables, the CDJs are instruments by themselves so I would only add that you also practice DJ'ing to give you that sense of what goes into a good mix.

Here's a very detailed example. If you only played instruments, you might play a drum beat and then lay down a bassline/guitar part, whatever and jam out. But did you know that DJ's usually need some leeway time of a constant downbeat to help mix the new track into? If you never knew that DJs had that need, you might think that a simple kick would be boring as **** in the beginning or ending (I did) but as a DJ, that is soooo important. In fact, knowing song structures for different genres is so important because if you're dj'ing and you have 1000's of songs and suddenly there's this one song that has odd time signatures, little to no intro or outtro, you might not play it because it's too much trouble compared to other songs.

anyways, hope this helps.

It helps, don't have to use mouse as much and simple melodies can be done in realtime.
Scales are useful since they give all the notes that don't sound off together and sheet music helps you keep track of your ideas.
Music that relies on synthesizers more or melodies more would benefit from music theory.
Stuff like sampling won't require it, but it still helps.

Back