ill vocals

im havin mad probs with my mrs-1608 i got the vocals good but then.... sadly the mixdown is completely different from what i hear when im playin it

you should record everything as close to the utilty gain as posible. Utility gain is the "u" on the nob of your preamp

J2thaP said:
you should record everything as close to the utilty gain as posible. Utility gain is the "u" on the nob of your preamp

hmmm...don't know b'cause it depends on how loud the artist is speaking!

If they speak too quietly, then you'll have to increase the gain; if they speak to loudly (i.e. potentially peaking 0dB), then you'll have to decrease the gain.

The aim is to get the best signal-to-noise ratio by recording as near as possible to 0dB without clipping!

Mikey Beats said:
A dub or overdub is what you would generally record after the main vocal part and sits on top of that vocal recording to add more weight to it. I've never heard of it being implemented by a plug-in or effect but according to witnesscats18, it's possible.

im sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me. im kinda new to this recording stuff so if you could, could you try to make it more understandable. like i don't understand what you mean when u said "sits on top of the main vocals...to add more weight"; so does that mean that you make like two copies of your main vocals and set them on top of each other like on audition multitrack or something? so when you do overdubb how do you do it personally..i think i could understand it better that way..
thanks

the problem isnt the recording cuz when i listen to it,it sounds good but when i burn it to cd and play it somewhere else it sounds like crap

an example of an overdub is say... after you've recorded the main verse, you'd record another verse aside from the original. What you would do is have one verse all processed how you want (compression, EQ) and then the overdub would have a lower volume. What it does is you have the solid main vocal but then a fuller chorus effect by having the other recording playing but not as loud as the main one. You want it in the back so you have the clarity of the main vocal but the fullness of the chorus effect.

If it sounds good when your playing it and it sounds good to you on whatever system your on and then it sounds like **** somewhere else, that is a mixing issue. Do you have monitors? A monitor is one of those studio speakers not any pc speaker you'd get at best buy or something.

the problem you're having is your tweaking everything so it sounds good to you which is perfectly normal. But if your using regular speakers when your doing this, those speakers are "colored" meaning they emphasis certain frequencies or they dont express certain freqeuncies that accurately. You'll be making everything sound good with a bad reference because the bass may not be accurate on your speakers so you'll increase it so YOU can hear it fine. In reality, you just brought the bass up so now the whole mix is flooded. Just an example.

But yeah, thats a mixing issue.

Mikey Beats said:

hmmm...don't know b'cause it depends on how loud the artist is speaking!

If they speak too quietly, then you'll have to increase the gain; if they speak to loudly (i.e. potentially peaking 0dB), then you'll have to decrease the gain.

The aim is to get the best signal-to-noise ratio by recording as near as possible to 0dB without clipping!
to get the best SOUND not loudness use a setting as close to the "U"tility gain as you can. You can always make them louder if they are to loud tell them to step back off the mic.

DefOne4Lyfe said:
an example of an overdub is say... after you've recorded the main verse, you'd record another verse aside from the original. What you would do is have one verse all processed how you want (compression, EQ) and then the overdub would have a lower volume. What it does is you have the solid main vocal but then a fuller chorus effect by having the other recording playing but not as loud as the main one. You want it in the back so you have the clarity of the main vocal but the fullness of the chorus effect.

If it sounds good when your playing it and it sounds good to you on whatever system your on and then it sounds like **** somewhere else, that is a mixing issue. Do you have monitors? A monitor is one of those studio speakers not any pc speaker you'd get at best buy or something.

the problem you're having is your tweaking everything so it sounds good to you which is perfectly normal. But if your using regular speakers when your doing this, those speakers are "colored" meaning they emphasis certain frequencies or they dont express certain freqeuncies that accurately. You'll be making everything sound good with a bad reference because the bass may not be accurate on your speakers so you'll increase it so YOU can hear it fine. In reality, you just brought the bass up so now the whole mix is flooded. Just an example.

But yeah, thats a mixing issue.

that makes alot more sense. how much difference in volume should the two tracks be? i think it would help me understand fully what overdubbing is if i heard it on a song, so could u think of a song where they did use dubbing? thanks

ndnsoulja said:

that makes alot more sense. how much difference in volume should the two tracks be? i think it would help me understand fully what overdubbing is if i heard it on a song, so could u think of a song where they did use dubbing? thanks

Practically every Hip Hop song uses over dubbing. E.g. Track 18 on Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP' entitled Criminal.....(subtlety is the key)

And if my memory serves me correct, I believe the verses in Ms Jade's 'Girl Interrupted' album don't utilise overdubs. Compare the difference!

Both in my opinion work well. It depends what you're going for.

J2thaP said:

to get the best SOUND not loudness use a setting as close to the "U"tility gain as you can. You can always make them louder if they are to loud tell them to step back off the mic.

If this is the case, then what is the point of even having the gain knob?? Wouldn't all pre-amps just be set to unity gain as standard if what you're saying is true?? I mean, u could be right; I could have this all wrong. Please enlighten me :confused:

But as the recording engineer, it is YOUR responsibilty (not the artist's) to ensure that the recording doesn't peak above 0dB!

You can't just tell the artist to step further away from the mic' and hence produce a distant sounding recording. What if you had a really loud artist? :sing: Would you have them sing/rap from the other end of the room just to ensure the pre-amp is set near to the unity gain??? You would loose a lot of the energy of the direct sound and capture the unwanted reflections!

What if you were recording a very expressive Jimi Hendrix one Saturday afternoon? Would you tell him to record from the other end of the room just to ensure the pre-amp is set near to the unity gain??? You would loose a lot of the energy of the direct sound and.......I think you see where I'm going with this. :D

Mikey Beats said:

If this is the case, then what is the point of even having the gain knob?? Wouldn't all pre-amps just be set to unity gain as standard if what you're saying is true?? I mean, u could be right; I could have this all wrong. Please enlighten me :confused:

But as the recording engineer, it is YOUR responsibilty (not the artist's) to ensure that the recording doesn't peak above 0dB!

You can't just tell the artist to step further away from the mic' and hence produce a distant sounding recording. What if you had a really loud artist? :sing: Would you have them sing/rap from the other end of the room just to ensure the pre-amp is set near to the unity gain??? You would loose a lot of the energy of the direct sound and capture the unwanted reflections!

What if you were recording a very expressive Jimi Hendrix one Saturday afternoon? Would you tell him to record from the other end of the room just to ensure the pre-amp is set near to the unity gain??? You would loose a lot of the energy of the direct sound and.......I think you see where I'm going with this. :D

I personaly have not had a problem at all with using the preAmp around the utility gain. 1st the utility gain is the sweet spot of your equipment. and this is something someone with 25yrs of "recording" experince suggested to me, not something i just made up. there is no "rule" on how to do anything... do what you feel is right. but i bet if you have all your setting around the utility gain, give or take a few dB then you should have plenty of headroom for that "direct" sound your looking for.

J2thaP said:

I personaly have not had a problem at all with using the preAmp around the utility gain. 1st the utility gain is the sweet spot of your equipment. and this is something someone with 25yrs of "recording" experince suggested to me, not something i just made up. there is no "rule" on how to do anything... do what you feel is right. but i bet if you have all your setting around the utility gain, give or take a few dB then you should have plenty of headroom for that "direct" sound your looking for.

Fair enough I guess...glad we got that cleared up :)

Back