If weed where legalized, would rap ever be the same?

Brendan Bonura

Young Dienasty
Lets face it, most of the mainstream artists these days ALWAYS talk about smoking one, but what would happen if weed where legalized? they be talking about getting high, and pick up their illegal product, but if weed where legalized, anybody could get high, and anybody could buy it, so it really wouldn't be a relevant topic in rap anymore...

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Rap would be for the large part, the same. Most people don't make a career off of discussing weed (*cough* WIZ). They reference it once or twice a song, but nothing major. And I don't think it's a big deal cause it's illegal, it's cause it's just a culturally historic & relevant topic that I'd argue over a third of the human population partakes in regardless of legality lol, so I just think more people overall would be smoking it. I think on the whole, rap would be mostly unaffected. Just my opinion though.

I think it would. . .

You have to think Daunte, the whole reason mainstream rappers Rap about money, cars, clothes, weed, and hoes is because the average person is just. . . .average.

So when they have bars like "I smoke the best kush," most of these cats are implying that "my weed is better than yours."

Hell most of the songs out are rappers comparing themselves to someone lower than them. So if they legalized weed and people weren't scared of being arrested, the playing field is leveled. lol I'm smoking the same weed you are smokin nigga. . .now what?

Maybe I'm thinking way out of the box but that you can through the same situation on rappers talking about cars. . .if foreign cars were accessible to everyone no matter your financial standing. . .what else would they rap about?

"Oh nigga i got that 4 door spaceship on 6's" <-GTFOH.

Last edited:
Lets face it, most of the mainstream artists these days ALWAYS talk about smoking one, but what would happen if weed where legalized? they be talking about getting high, and pick up their illegal product, but if weed where legalized, anybody could get high, and anybody could buy it, so it really wouldn't be a relevant topic in rap anymore...

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Anybody can get weed, money, liquor, pills, women and guns now. All of these things can be obtained Legally and easily if you know how to situate yourself to get them. Rappers even rap about having cannibus cards and going to other countries where they can smoke in public. Most you'd lose is a bar or 2 out of an album. I don't get it. Even if legalized, everyone won't buy $500 zips like they don't all drink Ace.

Last edited:
True lol....Im not big into weed. I don't use drugs and hardly drink. I like being sober lol...I like knowing what I'm doing. I have smoked a few blunts in my life and it was cool. But I don't see what all the hype is about....

When did any rapper ever rap about USING crack?

And weed isn't the only drug referenced in hip hop. Lately I've heard more about Molly than anything. Maybe some of you guys don't pick up on slang and miss all the references to other drugs in hip hop? But never crack use to my knowledge, coke, yeah, but crack was always sold, never used from what I listen to.

Thread like these show me the "hip hop fans" of the internet don't even understand the culture behind what they're hearing. Y'all sound like my dad who doesn't listen to hip hop. "All the talk about is..."

Last edited:
what is "Molly"??????

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Lamens answer, if ecstacy was cocaine, molly would be crack. It's chemically engineered more potent ecs...but since ecs is chemically engineered to begin with...I guess it's in the same family as Meth...just hasn't been around long enough for it's users to figure out.

Not saying it will have the same side effects, just saying meth is made from chemically enhancing chemical drugs...Molly is done the same way. I wouldn't touch that crap.

Alcohol is legal and people still rap about it. Weed isn't exclusive even if it is illegal. Anybody can get good bud if they know where to look.

goin back to my g's initial question.. Mos Def touched the subject best...

"Yo Mos, what's gettin ready to happen with Hip-Hop?"
(Where do you think Hip-Hop is goin?)
I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop?
Whatever's happening with us"
If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside
comin down to visit the townspeople
We (are) Hip-Hop

"Fear Not Of Man"
[Mos Def]

Peace.

Last edited:
yea it would be pretty much the same.. except the mystikal tracks still smokin LMAO! but nah, its like when they rap about liquors, its that feel good shit, everybody wants that feel good shit LOL

i for damn sure aint movin to crack. i'll just be dat lame ni66a smoking blunts.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Lamens answer, if ecstacy was cocaine, molly would be crack. It's chemically engineered more potent ecs...but since ecs is chemically engineered to begin with...I guess it's in the same family as Meth...just hasn't been around long enough for it's users to figure out.

Not saying it will have the same side effects, just saying meth is made from chemically enhancing chemical drugs...Molly is done the same way. I wouldn't touch that crap.

no its not. molly is pure mdma better than street x because there some with dope, coke, and all kinda shit that aint mdma. i'd rather do mollies than that shit.(i only smoke weed and sip lean from time to time no x no mollies no alc)

goin back to my g's initial question.. Mos Def touched the subject best...

"Yo Mos, what's gettin ready to happen with Hip-Hop?"
(Where do you think Hip-Hop is goin?)
I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop?
Whatever's happening with us"
If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside
comin down to visit the townspeople
We (are) Hip-Hop

"Fear Not Of Man"
[Mos Def]

Peace.
Respect homie!

Back