If u pay an industry rapper for a verse, are u stuck with what you get if it's wack?

I know a lot of industry artists may not pay "cash" for verses a lot of times, but what about those who do pay for verse. Let's say you pay someone like Lil Wayne $50,000 for a verse and you can tell he gave NO effort or he decided he wanted to sing on it or some crap that don't even go with your song. Whatever the case may be, as a customer, you're not satisfied. I've always wondered this. Do you really tell Wayne, even in a nice way, "This verse ain't good. Can I get another?" Anyone know???

I am not sure it is that useful nowadays to pay for verses when you are up and coming anyway.
So either way, I would tend to say it is a loss. Even if the verse is brilliant.
Unless the artist you get the verse from promotes your stuff.

A feature from a major artist like Lil Wayne, Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z, 2Chainz, or Kendrick Lamar is WORTHLESS NOWADAYS????

Why would you want to buy a wack verse? shit doesn't make sense bruh.... tbh if you have to pay these cats for a verse then its probably going to come out slaw anyway

I know a lot of industry artists may not pay "cash" for verses a lot of times, but what about those who do pay for verse. Let's say you pay someone like Lil Wayne $50,000 for a verse and you can tell he gave NO effort or he decided he wanted to sing on it or some crap that don't even go with your song. Whatever the case may be, as a customer, you're not satisfied. I've always wondered this. Do you really tell Wayne, even in a nice way, "This verse ain't good. Can I get another?" Anyone know???

That's why you dont pay all off the cash up front. Prodigy from Mobb Deep once charged Tru Life for a verse then turned around and used the verse again in another song. Tru Life found out and sent his goons to the studio. Since Prodigy wasnt there they made Prodigy's boys strip naked and fired a shotgun in the studio. My pops is good friends with J Prince from Rap a Lot and he always said that there are times in the music industry where the threat of violence keeps everyone in line. Either that or expensive lawyers. Me personally I prefer a little of them both.
To answer your question, I'd only pay half up front and I'd express what I was expecting up front. If the lyrics weren't up to par, I'd try to see if the artist could redo it. If they refuse, then I'd either eat it as a loss or call up Pookie and them.

That's why you dont pay all off the cash up front. Prodigy from Mobb Deep once charged Tru Life for a verse then turned around and used the verse again in another song. Tru Life found out and sent his goons to the studio. Since Prodigy wasnt there they made Prodigy's boys strip naked and fired a shotgun in the studio. My pops is good friends with J Prince from Rap a Lot and he always said that there are times in the music industry where the threat of violence keeps everyone in line. Either that or expensive lawyers. Me personally I prefer a little of them both.
To answer your question, I'd only pay half up front and I'd express what I was expecting up front. If the lyrics weren't up to par, I'd try to see if the artist could redo it. If they refuse, then I'd either eat it as a loss or call up Pookie and them.
yep artist i work with had a situation like that with dizzy wright it got worked out tho

you keep it.. you have no other choice.. it really happens all the time and you can tell.... but it is what it is...

you keep it.. you have no other choice.. it really happens all the time and you can tell.... but it is what it is...
What he said

Even underground cats who claim to be lyrically equipped for all beats come out sloppy as **** when they get paid to do something in some cases but it is what it is, at the end of the day the listener doesn't pay attention, I got mad dudes who don't make music saying my older beats are sick but then I got actual producers and emcees telling me that those same beats need better drums, better bass etc

On the other hand... If you're on a song with Lil Wayne and you had the better verse than him all the more cred to you! lol

lol you better put a refund clause in that contract. lol. Or you could just eat the loss and not use it. I mean if it's really that bad it's always an option.

Honestly if your not on lil wayne's level I wouldn't pay for a lil wayne verse anyway. Or Kendrick or Jay-Z. And quite honestly if your an unkown they may not take your money. Lil Wayne wipes his ass with $50,000 to $100,000 so for him at this point verses are marketing and promotion and if he knows your depending on HIM for it then he's wasting his time. So most artists especially Jay's caliber will turn you down or their label wont clear it. But honestly you don't want big artists on your records if your on a level where they don't respect you. As an up and comer it won't end well either way.Worst case scenario you pay $50,000 for a verse but have no money for promo and end up with a song that NOBODY hears. And odds are an artists will probably repeat lines in a more high profile song. Best Case scenario is you get overshadowed to the point that people think that the song is the Major Artist's song like Lil Wayne on Duffle Bag Boy. OR T-Pain on that 2 Pistols song. Or even Migos on Versace remix. That's the quickest way to end up a one hit wonder. I'd say for up and comers, organic collabs with people you get along with and who are poppin in your region is the best route. When you get to a point where people in your City or State know you but you need national radio is when you may stretch to get that big artists. And even then I'd have to reach for someone that someone on my team knew personally and could get an honest piece of work from.

Why is this topic even being discussed? I very much doubt there is anybody here that has $5000.00 to spend on some verse, let alone $50,000.00! Y'all must be some bored mf's to even be discussing this. The whole subject is preposterous! LOL!

Why is this topic even being discussed? I very much doubt there is anybody here that has $5000.00 to spend on some verse, let alone $50,000.00! Y'all must be some bored mf's to even be discussing this. The whole subject is preposterous! LOL!
hence the "what if"

u must be fun at parties

Why??

I can't imagine whay anyone would buy a verse from some clown. If you can't write it then why are you trying to do it? Makes no sense to me.

First of all, why would you doubt ANYONE here has $5k or $50k for a verse? 2nd, I don't consider the subject/question "PREPOSTEROUS". I think it's a legitimate question about the inner-working of the music industry. The rap game today is FULL of features and I'm sure there are some unsatisfied customers from time to time. I was curious to know what artists or labels do in that case. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
Back