I would like to learn how to scratch but...

Replete made the gif himself ;) he did this for ninjatune actually ! there are plenty of peopel like him around here, talented and full of connections :)

That's Xentertainment,

If I was ever to be branded, it would have to be definately the NT logo. As to copywrite infringement well it's not likely, as my mate Matt Black as well you know is the king of the musical magpies. Your more of a walking advert for all things Xen and that can be nothing but a guuurdd thing.

Big up ya Stealth,

Replete

P.S 5p have you seen the hilarious groupie graph, done by
P-Love on ninjatune.net, it mentions people with ninja tats, plus has a xcellent pic of the reknowned 'Foam Ninja'.

[Edited by Replete on 02-14-2001 at 01:42 PM]

but yeah anyways......

seriously whoever is up to do an actual working video is doing the world a favor....i live out in the boonies, in freaking maine. trying to get into any decent djing is pretty tough when you are literally the only one around. i cant even say i am actually because i dont know jack about it, and theres nobody to teach. trial and error is rediculously slow..
......and every tutorial ive found sucks, for real. one decent free tutorial, on its own site, would be a profit-maker just from selling banner ads on the page, seriously! you could make some cash PLUS be a nice guy.

i fully support this, true!

Back onto the Ninja thing... ;)

I think i could be included in most of those catagories on the groupie graph (apart from the women/girlfriends one - Bein' a bloke an' all)!

Only living in the zomerzet means no-one knows what Ninja Tune is and no one is prepared to make any sort of trip to anywhere further than Bristol, so never have i been to a Ninja gig.. :( * Sniff, Sniff * Maybe one day someone will take pity on a poor soul...

5p

you can download a bittorrent for clips from Qberts How to Cut and Paste. Its not the full dvd, just clips for about 15 of the basic scratches, its good tho, walks you thru chirps and all the rest. Its not legal to download it tho. If you dont know what bit torrent is, google it and find out. its like P2P but better

five.pence said:
Back onto the Ninja thing... ;)

I think i could be included in most of those catagories on the groupie graph (apart from the women/girlfriends one - Bein' a bloke an' all)!

Only living in the zomerzet means no-one knows what Ninja Tune is and no one is prepared to make any sort of trip to anywhere further than Bristol, so never have i been to a Ninja gig.. :( * Sniff, Sniff * Maybe one day someone will take pity on a poor soul...

5p
I live in somerset, and I feel your pain. I wish I had some mates into scratchin, mixin or even just good hiphop, so I could jam with them, rather than all alone :( sob sob.
ah well back up to uni in leicester next week, slight inprovement.

man people used to learn to scratch just from listening to music and ur telling me u cant work it out even with a tutorial?? no offence man but if u look on the net and read up on scratches u can piece together what they mean no problems.

check these between the load u will know whats what

http://www.flaredycats.com/scratchtutorial.html
http://www.asisphonics.net/theever.html
http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/player/player-allen-heath.asp?id=7742

i think sometimes people try to get in to the names of scratches and stuff to soon opposed to working it out themselves. i wish i had taken more time in the beginning to figure it out myslef, i think id be better now if i had done.

johnh85 said:

I live in somerset, and I feel your pain. I wish I had some mates into scratchin, mixin or even just good hiphop, so I could jam with them, rather than all alone :( sob sob.
ah well back up to uni in leicester next week, slight inprovement.

Same here, in Australia. There isn;t too many in to GOOD QUALITY hiphop, weather it be Australian or otherwise. Let alone turntablism...like no one where i live. Although i am slowly getting my mate into it...he also seems to be the only one other than myself that really digs NinjaTune and all that Experimental Organic or what ever you call it. Its so anoying! No one to get exited and talk with when a new album comes out...or a Ninja show or whatever! :(

scratching = hand movement + on / off

thats essentially all it is...

theres way way WAYYYYYYY too much emphasis on technique...

back in the day, people learnt by trial and error...

whats happened to that?

where have all the different styles gone in peoples cuts?

the problem with tutorials are that people are learning from one source, with visual and audible aids...which people simply copy....

but thats bu!lsh!t man.....there are so many "nuences" and subtlties in this, people SHOULD be trying out there own stuff - down to the very last thing - position of ya decks, hands, body, how ya hold ya fader, rhythms...all that good sh!t!

i can see how people new to scratching would get frustrated, but trust me...

learn through on your own as much as you can...jam with as many people as you can - even 'newbies' can surprise ya with some interesting sh!t...

its a long slog to get good at this, whatever road you take...

i know some of you will probably have a beef about "learning through sharing knowledge...blah fuccen blah"...but ive prob been cuttin longer than youse anyway....so whatever!! lol

"scratching = hand movement + on / off"

THATS IT. its not difficult!

haha

piece.

...or....

just watch tutorial videos.

im not really ars3d if im honest.

:D pz

:) true.

I've been learning/teaching myself on and off in isolation since around 2000.

I'd heard something Q-bert had done and just thought, I want to do that.

I think theres a lot to be said for making your own mistakes... it'll probably take you longer to perfect but you'll have a much more interesting style at the end of it - just because it's not on the q-bert dvd doesn't mean its wrong.

Anyway at the end of last year I decided that I really enjoyed scratching and decided to make a bigger commitment and shell out on a high spec set-up and try and put more time in.

I got the q-bert dvd too and it's great but I think I benefited from doing my own thing for a while too.

It's weird - I didn't know transforming was called transforming... but it didn't change the fact that I was transforming... if you get my drift.

Anyway if you do really want the q-bert tutorials... then at least pay for them.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...4/104-3152844-1137565?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Back