I turned my Open Labs Miko into a "supercomputer"

Brownie points for being the first black guy to become one of the biggest geeks evar!

Thanks but I f'ed up big time in 1995, I came up with a concept where people come together to share videos with each other(put a website up and technology behind it), did not apply for patent or copyright....it later became very very very similar to something we now know as "Youtube"...we live and we learn I guess!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

After spending the last hour researching through Nvidia and about 10 other sites I finally understand what the hell it is you're talking about..lol I've been asleep at the wheel for a few years on computers, I've been concentrating on satellite communications.

I see all the applications that CUDA can enhance greatly over current computing systems. However, are there any audio applications that can take advantage of CUDA processing or is that stuff still in the future?

On a sidenote I was helping a co-worker with troubleshooting a server problem a couple weeks ago and saw a Tesla inside of it. I was wondering what the hell it was in there for but, it was a passing thought I never pursued. (it was the power supply anyway) Now I know that it was a GPU enhanced server.(light bulb) I had the stuff around me everyday and didn't even realize it. Who said you can't learn something BSing on the internet at work..lol.

This stuff is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be and I might look into investing in one or two. It won't be 4 Teraflops or nothing but, I can see the opportunity to make some side money in video enhancement or conversion with this.

Good post.

If I were to pick one point to pick out my thread as the most important:

"Let's force OEM's to put this technology into play for us music producers!"
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Thanks but I f'ed up big time in 1995, I came up with a concept where people come together to share videos with each other(put a website up and technology behind it), did not apply for patent or copyright....it later became very very very similar to something we now know as "Youtube"...we live and we learn I guess!
In '95?! Come on, everyone was on 28.8K modems back then. And if it makes you feel better, I'm sure there were many other people around the world who got the same idea as you.

Did you play any GameSpy games then by any chance (Quake, TF, Q2, Kingpin, SiN, Half-Life)? Those were the times..

I will get some pics up for you guys, but believe me when I say its going to look real raw because I am still doing configurations, and I am on road

In 1995 there were network connections available beyond that 28 modem crap. I was one of the first beta testers for the early comcast high speed networks back then. I think at the time there were very few of us worldwide, I can't remember the exact number or even the technology they had us on. I can recall that around 1997 Microsoft gave Comcast (Roberts family) around a $Billy to expand things and move into the future...now here we all are.

p.s.
Any real ole heads here remember that when the "internet" first went public the only thing around was some bullsh*t bulletin boards with the "mainframe" geeks and maybe a few universities on it!

I remember turbo gopher and all that jazz back in the early 90s when I was in highschool. We had a network connection to Northwestern University. All we could really do is email, and occasionally find some pics off nasa. It was super basic.

Damn that's nice homie. I wanted to get a 76 key NeKo, and have PCAudioLabs try to freak it, by replacing the motherboard and put two i7's or Xeon's in it with 8GBs of ram. Just a dream right now.

In 1995 there were network connections available beyond that 28 modem crap. I was one of the first beta testers for the early comcast high speed networks back then.

In 1992, while in the Marines I watched the internet being build and turned over for commercial use... Back them, outside of the DOD and Colleges no one knew that the internet backbone even existed...

In 1992, while in the Marines I watched the internet being build and turned over for commercial use... Back them, outside of the DOD and Colleges no one knew that the internet backbone even existed...

I remember that dirtymike. In 1993, I joined the Army and after Basic, AIT, RIP and Ranger School, I was sent to Somalia (it was August 2003) and I remember right before we left Ft. Bragg, we went in to the INTEL Shack and they were showing us the Internet and telling how they were going to keep "real time" progress reports and Sit Rep's through it. We were like yeah right!

Needless to say, it went over like a fart in church!

Those were the day's! Back then, I never dreamed of what the internet would eventually become.

ONE

im no where close to you guys on computers but all i got to say is i built a few computers but i never thought a ol miko could do all you have yours doing. i was looking at it like damn i can put 1/2 a mill worth of plugs and like a 1/4 mill worth of vst's and never have to worry about leaving it home but now i see it can be used for way more then they advertise. to me ninogigi should write to ol and tell them what you did and offer your services as a consultant for them and make some specialized miko/niko for the people with money or who really need it.

For me, what this really comes down to is "bang for the buck," in which case this entire thread is an epic failure.

Perhaps if I were a paid professional in the industry and I had an actual *NEED* for this, much less the money to afford it, I might consider that option. But I doubt it. I could think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend that money on. All I gotta say is that if you spent the money for a Neko/Miko, I hope to god that you actually know how to make some decent music instead of being one of the many dumbasses that guy the newest, most expensive gear assuming that it will make their music better.. which it won't.

One thing I don't understand is why the **** you bought that Miko when you have a dope i7 setup in front of you. I mean that **** kills every OL Niko or Miko out there.

But I don't know maybe you just have too much money

Last edited:
In the words of Kanye West "I'm real happy for you Ninogigi, but The I7 Has One of the BEST CPU's of All Time".

You're right Musicbird. IMO, the Ol Keyboards aren't up to par with their parts compared to the prices they are charging ppl. Any computer techie will tell there's nothing special, besides the minor tweak firebox drivers that adds up to $5000.

In the words of Kanye West "I'm real happy for you Ninogigi, but The I7 Has One of the BEST CPU's of All Time".

You're right Musicbird. IMO, the Ol Keyboards aren't up to par with their parts compared to the prices they are charging ppl. Any computer techie will tell there's nothing special, besides the minor tweak firebox drivers that adds up to $5000.

man for $5000 I can build 2 (yes two) i7 workstations with top notch soundcards/converters and even some software synths

Last edited:
Back