I Met A Fellow Artist In The Mall Yesterday

I can't hate on that, because I'm doing the mixtape hustle too. It's hard to go to an area and sell to people who haven't heard of you. It's a mini risk to buy a cd from an artist you don't know, but at least you know the money is supporting the artist and not landing into corporate hands.

when i read this thread title i was like "what's so special about this, you can meet a 'fellow artist' just about anywhere these days.."

Important lesson for the day..........Do music for the love of music.......the money will come later..........

Cats be trying to fly before they can walk

Make your **** is hot before even trying to sell it

Rando the guy looks like he could beat up your ass, so be careful!

this is done all day round here....
dc/md..... my pizza delivery dude... lol, whos my dawg now.
first time met him he brought the pizza to the door, was like also would u like to buy a copy of my album for only 3 bux.... i was like cool, no problem............
then network with him cause thats what its all about.......
told him i produce brought him in the house let him hear somethings.......

come to find out this dude was Open Mic Champ for our local radio station 93.9 wkys for 6 weeks str8...........................no one beat him (he beat himself)
he got knocked off like some months back because he didnt show up to the big finally.......... radio stations talked big junk about him

I dunno. At least the dude was putting some work in, getting his music out there. The music might not be great but I can respect the dude.

I'd rather work with him than some guy sitting in his bedroom talking about what he is going to do than actually doing it. (not directed at anyone here).

Last edited:
fatdogs12 said:
Sell 2 an hour at 7 bucks that's not bad being your own boss with not too much effort required.
even less effort if you just sell blank CDs.....lol its not like theyd know till they got home and played it anyway haha.
jk

noblewordz said:
I dunno. At least the dude was putting some work in, getting his music out there. The music might not be great but I can respect the dude.

I'd rather work with him than some guy sitting in his bedroom talking about what he is going to do than actually doing it. (not directed at anyone here).
hes not even that bad he sounds like just another pper Id hear on the radio :confused:
i know what you mean tho ive been talking about making an album for 2+ years :cry:

Last edited:
Cyko said:
LMAO too funny

I think they had just watched Hustle and Flow where that girl sings "It's hard out here for a pimp"

I think I threw it away but the dude was hella cool on FP. I haven't seen him around here in a minute but he probably just has a different name.

The cover looked really nice.... that's why I bought it.

I'm telling you, with myspace and everything... it's try before you buy nowadays...

I think I told you guys about the dude at GC that said he makes crazy beats... and then I told him I use LIVE and REASON... he shot me down and told me to get up on that HIP HOP EJAY "That's the bizness right thurr, playa!" I held in my laughter. He wrote down his myspace page, it had been deleted by the time I got around to checking it out. Watch out for people that make music... their claims and boasts often times exceed their actual skill level...

That's tha bizness, playa... lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
biggrome said:
I think I told you guys about the dude at GC that said he makes crazy beats... and then I told him I use LIVE and REASON... he shot me down and told me to get up on that HIP HOP EJAY "That's the bizness right thurr, playa!" I held in my laughter. He wrote down his myspace page, it had been deleted by the time I got around to checking it out. Watch out for people that make music... their claims and boosts often times exceed their actual skill level...

LFMAO!!

Like two weeks ago, i told this "rapper" that i produced, and he told me he wanted to colab with me sometime, so i asked him if he had any of his music with him to listen to. he told me "yeah, i always got my music on my cuz" and then he just started beat boxing!!! Then he told me, thats the drum pattern, but i got this crazy idea for some hot azz strings, and the piano will go like this. . . (more terrible beat boxing), yo its going to be hot man. I just dont got no equipment but id luv to work with you sometime.

I took his number, went back home, and passed out in laughter.

Last edited:
fatdogs12 said:
If it's try before you buy just walk around with an mp3 player.

That works too.

... you can just get .mp3's of good artists off of free download mixtapes and say they're on the CD... they won't know what they're buying...

Hell, say you're the guy on the mixtape...

I'm not easily hustled... some dude sold me a TV that had a fuzzy picture one time... and I'm still pissed, lol.

He only wanted $25 for it but still...

Last edited by a moderator:
dee2good said:
LFMAO!!

Like two weeks ago, i told this "rapper" that i produced, and he told me he wanted to colab with me sometime, so i asked him if he had any of his music with him to listen to. he told me "yeah, i always got my music on my cuz" and then he just started beat boxing!!! Then he told me, thats the drum pattern, but i got this crazy idea for some hot azz strings, and the piano will go like this. . . (more terrible beat boxing), yo its going to be hot man. I just dont got no equipment but id luv to work with you sometime.

I hope you made that up. :rolleyes:

I bought a cat's CD in the mall not too long ago. For $5 or less, i'll support them usually. He was willing to spit for me on the spot just to move his product so for that alone, i supported. He was hungry.

The mixtape was OK, nothing great, but not necessarily a coaster.

dee2good said:
LFMAO!!

this sh!t^^ is to damn funny right here...:cry:

aktr2000 said:

come to find out this dude was Open Mic Champ for our local radio station 93.9 wkys for 6 weeks str8...........................no one beat him (he beat himself)
he got knocked off like some months back because he didnt show up to the big finally.......... radio stations talked big junk about him

Was he a white kid..cause i remeber this white kid doin it big on the freestyle stuff they were doin on the station...if it was him..was was in the Army..had a nice flow and rode the beat nicely..

I know I have purchaced some and got some for free..its to kind of Artist that hustle their CD..those that is part of a upcoming label and got their production on point (bought this guy R&B CD from Chicago who was in DC for the Million Men More March..i post the artist later dont remeber right now..gotta find the cd...and those that put a few tracks together to impress their friend to say they put out a CD..and checkout their myspace or soundclick...but i dont knock what they doin cause they trying to be heard...I will always talked down the price if i have heard of you or heard you perform..i know a few would just give anyway their CD..just so they can have another listener and maybe a future fan... I know my daughter bought the CD in Baltimore...not goin to put the group out there...but it suck A$$ big time..beats where all loops.. all almost on the same tempo and style..but she didnt want so i took it and listen to some of the artist..some have potential on the right track..so i might hit them up one do...if they are still together..

we artist do this they say me they trying to make a name for themselves...even Balance sent me a free mixtape from cali..so it works for some and some its a work in progress..

Back