I don't know what to do...

joeythemighty

I've been producing on and off for about a year now and I started producing because I wanted to make music that I liked. When I start a song I get around the first minute of the track finished and I like the way it sounds but then my mind just goes completely blank, I have no idea what to add to it next. I've tried starting other projects and taking breaks but in the end the results are always the same, I end up making an intro I like with no idea what to do next. This is the most frustrating thing ever! I need help... :[

I suggest learning what the instruments and synths are that are used in the type of music you like and being able to identify them when you hear them in a song, then implementing them in your tracks. This will give you a better understanding of where you might wanna go with your track, imitation is not only a form of flattery but it is a valuable learning tool and process, afterall, it's how we learn to talk

Last edited:
I understand your frustration as I had this problem for quite some time. The solution to this problem, for me at least, was to learn music theory. However tedious it may seem, music theory is vital for success as a producer. Another way you could overcome this roadblock is attempting to completely remake one of your favorite songs. What this does is gives you guidelines as to what to do and when to do it. Hopefully one of these will help because as I said before, I had this problem and it would frustrate me to no end.

Sometimes when I get bored I try to mimic tracks that I like just to see If i can get more familiar with my DAW when I lack my noob motivation.

Maybe you've been using the wrong workflow. You're not the first one I've heard having problems with making a track, that starts working with the intro and then building it from there.

Instead, try creating a shorter loop of how you want your track to sound at its "highest point", in other words when you have the most things going on, the big moment.
Work with it for a while (at least a few days), and experiment. Add more elements until you feel you have enough. Add the kick, add the bass, add all the different synths you're curious with, add all the percussion (not actual order).
Play with your sounds, bypass them, twist knobs, maybe you can get nice ideas of how your sounds evolve. Try removing and adding different sounds until you get the sound you want. While doing all this, you also get the time to get inspiration and thoughts of how you want your track to go.

Then when you feel you have ideas and a nice sound, go make that track!

Hope this helps.

I've been producing on and off for about a year now and I started producing because I wanted to make music that I liked. When I start a song I get around the first minute of the track finished and I like the way it sounds but then my mind just goes completely blank, I have no idea what to add to it next. I've tried starting other projects and taking breaks but in the end the results are always the same, I end up making an intro I like with no idea what to do next. This is the most frustrating thing ever! I need help... :[

Stop thinking about your idea and just play the music. It's easy to delete or undo less than satisfying tracks. Gather more instruments and increase your awareness or understanding of music fundamentals. New gear often leads to new ideas and recordings. Make some upgrades or learn to play new instrument. Work with other people as often as possible to gain new insight to your way making music. Feedback and practice are the keys to creativity. Don't play what's on your mind; instead, play the instrument in front you. That way, it won't matter if your mind is either blank or full. Let go and have fun with making music.

Back