I couldn't get help in the Hardware section so. . .

kyng

Shutup and just do it. .
I was checking out the new boards like the Jupiter series, the Kronos X, and older boards like the Fantom G, XF8, V-SynthGT, and others. . .

The sounds in these keyboards are phenomenal. I have Komplete 8, Purity, and a few other VST's and it seems like the sounds in these boards are more "production ready" than the sounds in the VSTs that I have. When I say that, I'm thinking about it from a simple Hip-Hop/R&B beat making point. If I'm making a beat, I can say "Oh shit I want to add a brass sound." turn the dial and brass is there ready to go and I would only have to make minor tweaks. Konkakt (just the basic Komplete 8 Kontakt) seems to be for live sounding music. Maybe I should try more vsts like Halion or Hypersonic but these keyboards seems to have more sounds that inspire me from the gate. Anybody else a straight software user but feels this way? Anybody think, adding a keyboard to a software setup will add more inspiration?

Second question. . .

I was looking for the MOX6/8 while I was there but they didn't have it. Anybody have experience with this keyboard yet? How are the sounds? How does it integrate with your setup?

and oh yeah. . .as I was playing the sounds I was listening. . . . They had them hooked up to some studio monitors. . . the sounds do sound fuller and thicker.

I thought that was myth that ol' hardware heads were just making up but it's true. Sounds from a keyboard do sound thicker and fuller than MOST vst sounds. . .

I was checking out the new boards like the Jupiter series, the Kronos X, and older boards like the Fantom G, XF8, V-SynthGT, and others. . .

The sounds in these keyboards are phenomenal. I have Komplete 8, Purity, and a few other VST's and it seems like the sounds in these boards are more "production ready" than the sounds in the VSTs that I have. When I say that, I'm thinking about it from a simple Hip-Hop/R&B beat making point. If I'm making a beat, I can say "Oh shit I want to add a brass sound." turn the dial and brass is there ready to go and I would only have to make minor tweaks. Konkakt (just the basic Komplete 8 Kontakt) seems to be for live sounding music. Maybe I should try more vsts like Halion or Hypersonic but these keyboards seems to have more sounds that inspire me from the gate. Anybody else a straight software user but feels this way? Anybody think, adding a keyboard to a software setup will add more inspiration?

Second question. . .

I was looking for the MOX6/8 while I was there but they didn't have it. Anybody have experience with this keyboard yet? How are the sounds? How does it integrate with your setup?

and oh yeah. . .as I was playing the sounds I was listening. . . . They had them hooked up to some studio monitors. . . the sounds do sound fuller and thicker.

I thought that was myth that ol' hardware heads were just making up but it's true. Sounds from a keyboard do sound thicker and fuller than MOST vst sounds. . .

Do not waste your time buying those boards if you are a computer based producer. Seriously.

Omnisphere knocks that shit out of the box, and it's only $500. Don't let anyone fool you into believing that Omnisphere is just for ambient, atmospheric sounds. Almost every track that I've made has been exclusively Omnisphere, with the exception of the guitars.

PMP Worldwide - The Best Opportunities for Producers and Songwriters

TROUPGenius's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And the reason that the sounds coming out of the keyboards sound fuller and thicker, is because those boards have Effects on the main ouput busses. They have reverbs, delays and chorusers on the main output bus for the sounds, that make them sound like that. VST's typically don't have FX on the main output bus.

Or either you're just using the wrong VST's.

Last edited:
agreed, keyboards in 2012 are kind of a waste, unless its some vintage rare board. Or if you just happen to really really like a certain board.

agreed, keyboards in 2012 are kind of a waste, unless its some vintage rare board. Or if you just happen to really really like a certain board.

I stopped into GC, because my sales guy told me Korg just brought out a new board. I played with it, and I'm like "this is nothing that Omnisphere doesn't already give me, at 1/5 of the cost".

But people gotta remember, that those boards are nothing but computers. They have samples loaded into them, and that's how they generate sound. They generate sound in the exact same way as your VST's do. Those keyboards have RAM, Hard Drives and Processors. They aren't analog.

But the one board I did buy is the Novation Ultra Nova. Bought that last year. That thing is sweet as hell. Touch sensitive knobs, and an on screen VST mode. Fully programmable. Definitely one of my favorite pieces. And it was only $500.

I say go with what gives you inspiration. Now, with that said, i can tell you that I use a Motif XS, and some other hardware pieces and i like them. However, I think that if i were just starting, i would not go all hardware. I still have my gear from some time and just never sold it. Sound wise, i agree that the effects are definitely on the master bus going out. A lot of people says that Roland has good effects, but to me Korg has really good effects. Turn off the effects on a triton, etc and see how it sounds!

Right now, the only keyboard I have been thinking about getting is the Kronos, but honestly, i am satisfied with the sounds of my Motif, and i have other synths also. If i got a Kronos, i would sell some of my other stuff though.

I would potentially gig my boards for live play so i am okay with keeping them, but i been thinking about picking up Komplete. I know the sound is there. I used Maschine in Guitar Center and a lot of the stock sounds were really good.

If you are trying to learn how to play the keys and need better feel than a typical keyboard I would buy one. I hate turning on computer just to practice. Triton Le's go for 600 on ebay. I think its definitely worth it if you are performing. Maybe not for production. If you want more realistic instrument sounds you could get East West plugins. They're expensive but they sound like it too.

ha i think boards are still relevant as a "trophy", you buy a board to let cats know you got money in the bank to have a motif x collecting dust, while they still use software. they use boards for decoration

If u plan on playing live i say hardware(if its just production go software), but don't break the bank grab a used one on ebay. When i see cats giggin they either rollin with a motif, fantom, or a korg (they might have a midi to a computer, but they use a board as the foundation). But i agree hardware is on its last leg.

I stopped into GC, because my sales guy told me Korg just brought out a new board. I played with it, and I'm like "this is nothing that Omnisphere doesn't already give me, at 1/5 of the cost".

But people gotta remember, that those boards are nothing but computers. They have samples loaded into them, and that's how they generate sound. They generate sound in the exact same way as your VST's do. Those keyboards have RAM, Hard Drives and Processors. They aren't analog.

But the one board I did buy is the Novation Ultra Nova. Bought that last year. That thing is sweet as hell. Touch sensitive knobs, and an on screen VST mode. Fully programmable. Definitely one of my favorite pieces. And it was only $500.

ima check that Ultra Nova out for sure, looks kinda dope and i love Novation products

I'm sorry but the keyboardist inside me yearns for a Fantom G. Had a few 88 Key Fender Rhodes' and like 7 Wurtlizer 200A's but I didn't give a shit about any of them.

can't shake the Fantom though. wanted one ever since college. Komplete8 or no Komplete8.

I was looking at a mark II on ebay a few days ago. Thinking about buying one they're surprisingly cheap

Last edited:
I was looking at a mark II on ebay a few days ago. Thinking about buying one they're surprisingly cheap

nah they're not that expensive. I use mine as a office desk.

my old man taught me how to service and rebuild electric pianos. I got this 61-Key 200A I'm working on with vibrato, sustain and speaker cabinet. shit is like the hot-rod of Wurlitzer's I swear.

Do not waste your time buying those boards if you are a computer based producer. Seriously.

This dude is so right ... smh

Maybe this why this place is called FP.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Had to...

Back