I am a crack head!!!

the majority of people that download software never make there money most people i know that purdhase their software make their money back 10 times over i don't know about you and where you live and but over here in new york its about your hustle and how you get money. networking perfecting your craft even if you sell beats at 50 dollars a pop people will spend money if they like now lets say you book studio time for cats since everybody is rapper nowadays you'll make your money quick fast learn how to grind with what you have its the software is not that expensive i just bought a micrphone that cost the same price as reason and record combined. but yet i will probably make more of my reason/record purchase that i woudl just using the microphone i just purchased and you can compare software to hardware software is the cheaper verison of hardware all you need is a midi controller and you can achieve pretty 90 percent of the hardware sounds with software

that is such a narrow minded view of things.

the fact of the matter is that the over-whelming majority of people who purchase software never make that money back. for most people music will always be just an expensive hobby to them.

and comparing the cost of SOFTWARE to HARDWARE is ridiculous. saying that the equivalent of reason in hardware would cost thousands makes no sense.

if you feel like you need to purchase music software for whatever reason eg. fear of viruses, wanting to respect your tools, making a conscious commitment to your craft, you just have the money, you want to support the developer, etc.. then please go ahead and purchase your software. but i just hate people who openly say you don't respect people who use pirated software you just come off as very closed minded. remember there are a lot of people out there who would laugh at you for spending money on something you could have gotten for free.
how do i come off as narrow mind because i dont respect people who steal their software instead of purchasing it. if you take your music serious then you would purchase your software. or you would grind to get your software the legal. plus you'll feel better about yourself knowing that you purchased your software. if its a hobby then dont' intend to make off of it. but people like myself i love to make music so much that it became my natural high and a business for me. i make more money booking studio time recording artist then i would doing a 9 to 5 and all i charge $35 a hour at a 4 hour minimum on top of that the lowest i'll sell my beats to locals cats is $100 to 200 a pop. that so called cats that talk that big money my price range will go from 500 to 1,000 per beat. and low budget artist real low budget i might go to 50 dollars but best believe they won't be getting my best beats. the get some weak trash but if they like and want to spend money why not right.

we see music in different ways. you view it more as a business type thing. i do music because i love it. other musicians i know in real life make music for the same reason. btw i don't want assumptions being made but i've paid for all the software (and hardware) that i own with the exception of recycle. god damn propellerheads.

we see music in different ways. you view it more as a business type thing. i do music because i love it. other musicians i know in real life make music for the same reason. btw i don't want assumptions being made but i've paid for all the software (and hardware) that i own with the exception of recycle. god damn propellerheads.

lets get this straight music is my love. i've been doing music for almost all my life, what im stating it shoudln't be a problem for you to make your money back that you put into your studio. all you have to do is network. i live in ny/nj area so i guess you have to grind out here more than most places but its money everywhere you just have to go out and get it.

how do i come off as narrow mind because i dont respect people who steal their software instead of purchasing it. if you take your music serious then you would purchase your software. or you would grind to get your software the legal. plus you'll feel better about yourself knowing that you purchased your software. if its a hobby then dont' intend to make off of it. but people like myself i love to make music so much that it became my natural high and a business for me. i make more money booking studio time recording artist then i would doing a 9 to 5 and all i charge $35 a hour at a 4 hour minimum on top of that the lowest i'll sell my beats to locals cats is $100 to 200 a pop. that so called cats that talk that big money my price range will go from 500 to 1,000 per beat. and low budget artist real low budget i might go to 50 dollars but best believe they won't be getting my best beats. the get some weak trash but if they like and want to spend money why not right.

you are coming off as extremely narrow minded because you assume that because you operate in such a way that it is correct and other ways are wrong.

who are you to say that people will "feel better" if they purchase their software? not everybody in the world is alike. that's the great thing about life.

music is a business to you. great. but don't say you have no respect for people who use pirated software. don't imply or assume that people who use pirated software don't take their music seriously.

lets get this straight music is my love. i've been doing music for almost all my life, what im stating it shoudln't be a problem for you to make your money back that you put into your studio. all you have to do is network. i live in ny/nj area so i guess you have to grind out here more than most places but its money everywhere you just have to go out and get it.

not everybody is shopping beats to rappers...

i dont have respect for those that use pirated software. they stole their software they dont understand the time and effort it takes these companies to make the software that's like taking years to design somehting and you sell to make some money from your work and you have a bunch of people who just come and steal your hardwork stuff you wouldn't have respect for those people as well.

Last edited:
terror your statement make me believe that you use pirated software and probably all of your software is pirated.

i already said the only pirated software i use is recycle. tbh i don't even use it that much anymore. but i did use it quite a bit for a long time when i was working exclusively with reason.

but what exactly in my statement leads you to believe that i use pirated software and ALL of my software is pirated. you can know that from reading a post on a message board?

the fact that your defending people who user pirated software like its ok to use pirated software.

compare the cost of manufacturing software compared to hardware.

What does that have to do with anything lol?
That doesn't change the fact that you can get much more value out of software. Besides... hardware and software are useless without eachother so just because i dont buy a motif doesnt mean im not buying hardware. All hardware boards run on software.

That doesn't change the fact that you can get much more value out of software. Besides... hardware and software are useless without eachother so just because i dont buy a motif doesnt mean im not buying hardware. All hardware boards run on software.

my midi controllers are hardware for my software use.

i dont have respect for those that use pirated software. they stole their software they dont understand the time and effort it takes these companies to make the software that's like taking years to design somehting and you sell to make some money from your work and you have a bunch of people who just come and steal your hardwork stuff you wouldn't have respect for those people as well.

again with all the assumptions. did you ever think that people just don't give a damn? people know that smoking and drinking is bad for them yet they continue to do it. people purchase apple computers that are made in chinese factories where workers can be beaten. do you think that's right? people support big companies that take advantage and exploit people in other parts of the world.

people are just humans and people like to live their lives in different ways.

do you know the personal situation of everybody in the world? maybe somebody loves making music but they can't afford to purchase the software. does any part of you think that it might actually be a good thing that people with almost no money can now make music of a professional quality?

i'm not trying to advocate piracy and i don't encourage everybody to go out and start downloading cracks but i understand that everybody has their own stuff to deal with and who the hell am i to cast moral judgement on people simply because i have a different opinion on something like the illegal downloading of software.

the fact that your defending people who user pirated software like its ok to use pirated software.

this is exactly the sort of attitude that leads to ridiculous arguments on message boards.

this is the sort of attitude that leads people to religiously defend their daw of choice when faced with criticism. just because i try to see both sides of the piracy debate does not mean i go out and download lots of cracks.

really are you serious?

if something costs 100euro to develop and each unit costs 10euro to manufacture would it be a wise move to sell that product at 5euro? of course not. the company would never see a return.

but how about if something costs 100euro to develop but the manufacturing costs are almost zero (digital distribution). could they sell that product at 1euro? yeah because after 100 units they would see a profit.

this is obviously a very simplified example.

very interesting thread...

A few years back,I was totally against piracy but I think that it's not as
harmful as some might think.
I had the Reaper demo and the Fl Studio 8 demo on my laptop and I decided to download the Slicex plugin just to try it out in Reaper and after
a few months,I decided to give FL a chance(really slept on the program...lol).Anyways,I made a beat,closed it to find out that I could
save it,I was like WTF and my demo was unlocked!!
So I really immersed myself in FL as a result and love the program now and I'm coppin FL 9 next month:)

Like Say it terror said so well,the traditional economic model of supply and
demand doesn't apply to digital content because the same file can be duplicated indefinitely at no loss of quality and a new model of trust should be created where the potential customers and developpers compromise so that's it's fair for both sides.

exactly and a new economic model will HAVE to be created if developers want to continue to make money. they should take notes from the smaller developers.

look at something like reaper. the demo is unrestricted but i know lots of people who ended up buying the software. the same with renoise. the demo is pretty much unhindered but again most people who use it buy the software.

fairer pricing encourages people to purchase the software. if a certain plugin that you REALLY WANT costs 500euro and a crack is easily available you may just get the crack. but if that plugin was maybe priced at 60euro you would be more inclined to purchase it.

my midi controllers are hardware for my software use.

Thats what I just said.

really are you serious?

if something costs 100euro to develop and each unit costs 10euro to manufacture would it be a wise move to sell that product at 5euro? of course not. the company would never see a return.

but how about if something costs 100euro to develop but the manufacturing costs are almost zero (digital distribution). could they sell that product at 1euro? yeah because after 100 units they would see a profit.

this is obviously a very simplified example.

This has little to do with the fact that software has a better value. All software requires hardware to run. It's not my fault Yamaha doesnt have a keyboard with the capabilities of Reason. Your only looking at it one way. I can get a computer, midi keyboard, and software and still be thousands less then a solidified hardware keyboard with less then half the capabilities. In either scenario Im still running software, still using a hardware keyboard, and still using a hardware processor. The technology is there.

I've never had any problem with cracked software. Just earlier today I said to myself that I'm going to either pay for software or just use freeware lol. My DAW is cracked, but for now on none of my VST's are. I'm not really a VST guy anyway.

Thats what I just said.

This has little to do with the fact that software has a better value. All software requires hardware to run. It's not my fault Yamaha doesnt have a keyboard with the capabilities of Reason. Your only looking at it one way. I can get a computer, midi keyboard, and software and still be thousands less then a solidified hardware keyboard with less then half the capabilities. In either scenario Im still running software, still using a hardware keyboard, and still using a hardware processor. The technology is there.

i'm sorry but i have no idea what point you're trying to make.

i'm not debating whether or not hardware or software is more powerful, although i think more things are possible within a software environment.

are you trying to say that people shouldn't complain about the price of software because it is cheaper than the alternative (hardware) and offers more?

if that is your opinion then great. i personally don't agree with it though.

Back