Humming getting picked up by my mic

Kevindurant

Is there any way to fix this?. Its coming from my computer. I figured out how to get my room really quiet but I cant figure this one out.

Get away from the computer, or buy silent fans/padding/whatever to make the computer quiet. No point trying to fix the recording afterwards if you can fix it at the source.

It sounds like your levels are too hot. Try this... arm your track to record and then play with the volume on the audio track until the humming sound goes away.

I'm with krushing on this one start at the source of the problem rather than trying to finesse a solution with tricks and mirrors.

My preferred solution would be to have liquid cooling,which is much quieter.

However, after that I would prefer to put your computer in a silencer box, sort of like a amp iso-box -

• you have a sealable door (using sleagal or draught excluder foam on all points of contact) that you access the front of the computer by
  • you have all cables coming through one, sealed opening or better yet, you have a patch bay on the outside of the box that all cables plug in to
  • you have a box within a box construction with air vents (intake and exhaust) at different positions to avoid direct coupling of the source to the outside
  • the interior box is isolated from the exterior box by foam padding and springs to minimise noise transmission

I'm with krushing on this one start at the source of the problem rather than trying to finesse a solution with tricks and mirrors.

My preferred solution would be to have liquid cooling,which is much quieter.

However, after that I would prefer to put your computer in a silencer box, sort of like a amp iso-box -

• you have a sealable door (using sleagal or draught excluder foam on all points of contact) that you access the front of the computer by
  • you have all cables coming through one, sealed opening or better yet, you have a patch bay on the outside of the box that all cables plug in to
  • you have a box within a box construction with air vents (intake and exhaust) at different positions to avoid direct coupling of the source to the outside
  • the interior box is isolated from the exterior box by foam padding and springs to minimise noise transmission

I used to have my computer in a different room but since I moved I have decided to build an isolation box, the most important thing is going to be getting the hot air out and cool air in through a series of baffles using fans, but if you just want to silence a computer for shot periods while recording with a mic you could put the computer in a big sealed box or a closet, you will however need to open it periodically to expel any hot air and only close the door when you are recording.

Is there any way to fix this?. Its coming from my computer. I figured out how to get my room really quiet but I cant figure this one out.

I just recently came across this issue and built an affordable mic enclosure so that I don't get any fan noise. Youtube has some great ones that are cheap to create. Would highly suggest this as an option to fix the source of the problem as others have mentioned.

Back