Hp Envy i5 vs i7

cuzzim2real

Sorry if this has been asked before and im sure it has but im kinda pressed for time.

Im deploying in a couple of days and i want to continue my music production overseas.
Ive decided to get a Hp envy but i cant decide on a i5 vs i7 chip.
Ill be running basically reason and FL studio. I know the i5 would handle them well but when i return i want my laptop to become the center piece in my home studio. Question is if i get the i5 will that be sufficient enough to handle the task or is the i7 a def must have?

thanks

if you got the money to get the Envy dont! get something even better or just as good but cheaper, save you some cash.

I have a toshiba with an i3 and i run FL, Reason and a bunch of other stuff with no problems. So a processor like i5 is obviously is better and an i7 of course even faster. If you got the money n your Going to be running alot of plugins and doing some recording i would say get the i7.

I dont own the Envy but from what i have herd its a bad investment if your going to use it for music production. Just cuz its endorsed by Dre doesnt mean anything...

All im saying is you can get a different computer with the same specs at a cheaper price.

what, the envy i7s like $1,899.99 and the i5 is like 1000$...? with that you could get yourself a nice pc.

im sure theres other people more knowledgeable on some good pc's that could help you out.

at the end of the day its up to you, if you got ur mind set on the Envy's go for it...

if you got the money to get the Envy dont! get something even better or just as good but cheaper, save you some cash.

I have a toshiba with an i3 and i run FL, Reason and a bunch of other stuff with no problems. So a processor like i5 is obviously is better and an i7 of course even faster. If you got the money n your Going to be running alot of plugins and doing some recording i would say get the i7.

I dont own the Envy but from what i have herd its a bad investment if your going to use it for music production. Just cuz its endorsed by Dre doesnt mean anything...

All im saying is you can get a different computer with the same specs at a cheaper price.

what, the envy i7s like $1,899.99 and the i5 is like 1000$...? with that you could get yourself a nice pc.

im sure theres other people more knowledgeable on some good pc's that could help you out.

at the end of the day its up to you, if you got ur mind set on the Envy's go for it...

Thanks with the speedy response...

Only reason i was going with the envy is because i dont have the cash right now and they are offering credit and im 100% sure ill get approved. Do you know any sites off hand that can offer me the same deal (credit wise)
I also noticed that you said "if i was thinking of recording go with the i7"
Well i am going to do that as soon as i get back. Does the i7 really offer that much of a advantage
when it comes to recording? From the limited research that i did, alot of information that i received talked about the i7 and hyper threading and that alot programs dont use it as well (whatever that means). I just want to make sure that i dont over spend, but still have 3-4 years of good use with my purchase. I have a few projects lined up (hip hop/rnb wise) when i get back and i want everything to go as smooth as possible without wishing that i had purchased the "better upgrade".

Hmm. If you have good credit I'm sure other places offer credit too. Check out "best buy" they should offer credit or something like that. I think even Dell or any Pc company. you can custom order a pc with your desierd specs.

When I bought my pc I whent with the i3 processor....it works great but I wish I would have whent with the i5....just to give me that extra boost and so it can last me

The i5 is very capable to handle everything, but yeah n i7 wouldn't hurt. If I had the money I would get the i7. If I couldn't really afford it but still need a good processor I would go with the i5.

When you buy a laptop or desktop for music production your going to want some basic things...

-A fast processor i3,i5,i7...

-enough RAM or memory (mine has 4gigs ram, works well but I need to upgrade it to 8gigs ram)

-sound card (usually the sound cards that come with pc's standard arnt good for music production. Your going to want an audio interface. This will help lower Latency when recording your vst instruments n vocal recordings.)

-enough Hard drive space (I have 500gigs HD and I also invested in a external HD for back up and my sound libraries)

I'm not a computer freak or anything but These are the main things you should be concerned with when using for music production. This is what I learned threw trial and error. I whent thew so many carpoy computers in the past.

- o and also the graphics card but were in 2011 almost all pcs come with a decent graphics card, so I wouldnt even worry about this. Unless your really want your movies in like hd or something...

Hope this helps you when picking out a pc

If I was to buy a PC I would buy the cheapest that handled my needs right now and save money and just upgrade in a few years. These things get outdated so quick it's not worth investing $1000+ dollars into one IMO.

That's my problem with Mac. You spend all this money and 3 months later your computer is outdated.

Hmm. If you have good credit I'm sure other places offer credit too. Check out "best buy" they should offer credit or something like that. I think even Dell or any Pc company. you can custom order a pc with your desierd specs.

When I bought my pc I whent with the i3 processor....it works great but I wish I would have whent with the i5....just to give me that extra boost and so it can last me

The i5 is very capable to handle everything, but yeah n i7 wouldn't hurt. If I had the money I would get the i7. If I couldn't really afford it but still need a good processor I would go with the i5.

When you buy a laptop or desktop for music production your going to want some basic things...

-A fast processor i3,i5,i7...

-enough RAM or memory (mine has 4gigs ram, works well but I need to upgrade it to 8gigs ram)

-sound card (usually the sound cards that come with pc's standard arnt good for music production. Your going to want an audio interface. This will help lower Latency when recording your vst instruments n vocal recordings.)

-enough Hard drive space (I have 500gigs HD and I also invested in a external HD for back up and my sound libraries)

I'm not a computer freak or anything but These are the main things you should be concerned with when using for music production. This is what I learned threw trial and error. I whent thew so many carpoy computers in the past.

- o and also the graphics card but were in 2011 almost all pcs come with a decent graphics card, so I wouldnt even worry about this. Unless your really want your movies in like hd or something...

Hope this helps you when picking out a pc

Thanks man. i took your advice and copped a ASUS from BB. Its got a i7,8gig ram, and 750 gb drive for a little over $1000. Saved about $800 over the HP. i wish i could have gotten one with a SSD but thats cool. thanks again.

Back