How you suppose to network with major artists when u in the middle of nowhere?

C4Productions

How do you find ways to network with ppl in the industry when you have no means of physically going to somewhere like LA or New York. I know I can make good enough beats. I've made tons of beats better than half the **** out right now. But if you email artists directly they jus ignore you. Face to face I can sell my self to anybody, but online it doesnt matter what I say bc unless my name is like scott storch or alchemist they're not even gunna open my email. So how am I suppose to start makin a name for myself besides the obvious make a soundclick or a myspace? I've gotten to the point now where this isnt what I want to do, I have to do it. I dont really care if I make a million dollars, I just have to survive off doing something I enjoy, I cant work 9-5, I would rather shoot myself in the ****ing forehead, I hate my college program but I already dropped out twice and wasted 1000's of my parents dollars. I cant see myself being in this ****ty house for another year and a half. It feels like I spend my days in anticipation for something bigger... like I'm living a life thats not meant for me. Do I gotta do Kanye numbers to get noticed? I heard he made 5 beats everyday for 3 years... thats crazy... but if thats what I gotta do I'm ready for it. If you read my whole rant lemme know what you think...

I have a feeling that you don't hear this much but... you're not good enough yet. Selling beats shouldn't be in your mind right now,i can tell you just started i think you're in it for the wrong reason if you just started and already worried about selling.

i do hear that... but thas bc u dont hear my good ****. All the beats on my soundclick are from my first 2-4 months of makin beats, same with my myspace. I dont put my other **** out as much. Only if I'm tryin to send someone a demo. I've been doing this for like a year maybe? n I would say I'm pretty good already... and in 5 years gaurunteed I will be a beast... I know I'm good enough... thas not the question. And why shouldn't I wanna make money doing it, its what I love. .I dont need a million dollars, I even said I don't give a **** about the money. I just wanna make enough to survive. N if u wanna be a producer, selling beats should always be in your mind. If you wanna make it doing something u cant have the attitude that ur not good enough or u wont be.

i do hear that... but thas bc u dont hear my good ****. All the beats on my soundclick are from my first 2-4 months of makin beats, same with my myspace. I dont put my other **** out as much. Only if I'm tryin to send someone a demo. I've been doing this for like a year maybe? n I would say I'm pretty good already... and in 5 years gaurunteed I will be a beast... I know I'm good enough... thas not the question. And why shouldn't I wanna make money doing it, its what I love. .I dont need a million dollars, I even said I don't give a **** about the money. I just wanna make enough to survive. N if u wanna be a producer, selling beats should always be in your mind. If you wanna make it doing something u cant have the attitude that ur not good enough or u wont be.

I think you need to remeber that this is not some lucrative new profession. Music is an artform. It has been commercialized greatly but it is still an artform. And to create good art you need skills, attaining these skills takes time, you think beethoven was writing his best symphonies when he was 8? If you really love music, then wait. And if your getting yourself into this because you think you'll make money you are making a huge mistake. You need to realize that there are probably 100's of thousands of wannabe producers like you (many of them way more talented) yet only 10 or 12 every decade make it as big as kanye, pharrell, timbo, rick rubin, etc.

lol you're assuming i have some sort of unrealistic expectations... im not trying to be the next kanye, pharrell, timbo or any of that ****. Just want to know the best way to network with major artist whehter that be contacting them directly, calling their manager/agent, etc.

Here's a valuable tip, don't network with major artists.
Start in your city and find your own artists to work with and develop them.
If you make noise people will come to you.

lol you're assuming i have some sort of unrealistic expectations... im not trying to be the next kanye, pharrell, timbo or any of that ****. Just want to know the best way to network with major artist whehter that be contacting them directly, calling their manager/agent, etc.

Sorry if I came across that way, what I'm trying to stress that you should stick to your 9-5 and not look at music as a way out. Find some artists on the side and promote your collaborations on the internet if no where else. And promote like crazy. Once your music is at a point your really confident in and only then (please, don't fool yourself here like many do) send messages on myspace, make cold calls, etc and mention everything you've achieved with your local artists.

ur not ready of youve been producing for 1 year

focus on getting your own sound
and once you have your own sound
start giving away beats to the rappers that you think have talent

them everything will come :bat::bat:

yea thats good advice ^ Im jus losing my mind bein in college I hate school lol. I was stressed when i made that first post haha. I no i dont have my own sound yet im workin on that... n that givin beats to rappers i think are good is exactly what im gunna start doin. I jus dont wanna turn into like a soundclick producer sellin beats for 10 bucks n ****(no offense to anyone who does this, nothing wrong with it) its just not what my goal is. I think im going to delete my soundclick and just start puttin the odd thing on youtube.

I thought like you for a while but now that's changed. There's no other producers in my town so i can't co-produce with anyone in person. There's some rappers but only a few are good. Of them few i contacted only 1 got back to me. After a month or so of emailing back and forth since he took a while we finally met up. He basically said he didn't like most of my beats he'd heard even though he couldn't remember anything and that he wanted me to custom make him some beats that aren't my style and work with over the internet for free. Even though he's the one that can gain from this properly he hasn't got back to me at all since then.

I realized that most people doing Hip-Hop are jokers that don't take music as serious as some of us do and that even if you find someone that's serious you'll be very lucky to be able to work with them and make money from music. It's very rare that you'll make enough money alone off of working directly with artists to live off of it.

So now i'm trying to join an Accounting course at college so i can actually make a nice life for myself. Have something that's only a certain amount of time everyday, that's secure, the people are reliable and it pays very well. I'd rather do that than spend all my time busting my balls tryna make a living off of doing music, not accomplishing anything with my life and feeling depressed all the time because i'm a loser with no social life. And i'd have to live off of government benefits struggling to even live off of that much.

I decided i'm gonna try to be an accountant and i'm gonna make music part time when i want rather than feeling pressured and trying to do it 24/7. and if the opportunity presents itself then maybe i can work with people directly and actually make a little part time career out of it.

I was more sure that i wanted to do music with my life than i was about anything i've ever been but i suppose after a while of things not working out you've got to be realistic and choose something more secure and worthwhile before it's too late.

Even if you do college properly you can still make music in your free time and email people and try to get the music thing going. There's only so many hours you can properly do music everyday anyway.

I mean you'd be lucky to make even $5,000 a year and that's not enough to even live off let alone put money into your music career.

If you in somewhere like LA or New York or were in a city where there's indie artists to work with then things are different. But in the middle of nowhere you shoudln't count on it.

Please, please, please don't screw your life up. thing long and hard about ALL your options. If you have a nice job you can buy some nice gear and enjoy making music. Then slowly build up and if you get big enough switch to music full time.

I'd hate to think of you being 35, completely broke, living with your parents, feeling like a loser and still not having accomplished any more than you have right now.

You can't always have what you want. Sometimes things don't work out the way we thing they should.

Play the hand you've been dealt. Don't blindly gamble your life away on a dream.

EDIT : I forgot to mention online leasing. If you're beats are good enough then you can make enough money off leasing beats online to live off of music. Go into my post history and read what i've wrote a few times about this. You'll find some really helpful advice if you seriously want to make money off of it.

With a few hours of clever promotional techniques every day it shouldn't be too hard.

Online leasing is your best bet to make a living off of music if there's no artists where you live. Soon enough you'll make enough money, have enough experience and be good enough to travel a little bit, work with indie artists and go to big cities to network with majors. That's the route you wanna go.

BTW i haven't actually listened to your music so i won't comment on that. I think you've got to judge yourself on how good you are and whether you're ready or not for a career in music.

Hope i helped.

Last edited:
So now i'm trying to join an Accounting course at college so i can actually make a nice life for myself. Have something that's only a certain amount of time everyday, that's secure, the people are reliable and it pays very well. I'd rather do that than spend all my time busting my balls tryna make a living off of doing music, not accomplishing anything with my life and feeling depressed all the time because i'm a loser with no social life. And i'd have to live off of government benefits struggling to even live off of that much.

I decided i'm gonna try to be an accountant and i'm gonna make music part time when i want rather than feeling pressured and trying to do it 24/7. and if the opportunity presents itself then maybe i can work with people directly and actually make a little part time career out of it.

I was more sure that i wanted to do music with my life than i was about anything i've ever been but i suppose after a while of things not working out you've got to be realistic and choose something more secure and worthwhile before it's too late.

Even if you do college properly you can still make music in your free time and email people and try to get the music thing going. There's only so many hours you can properly do music everyday anyway.

I mean you'd be lucky to make even $5,000 a year and that's not enough to even live off let alone put money into your music career.

If you in somewhere like LA or New York or were in a city where there's indie artists to work with then things are different. But in the middle of nowhere you shoudln't count on it.

Please, please, please don't screw your life up. thing long and hard about ALL your options. If you have a nice job you can buy some nice gear and enjoy making music. Then slowly build up and if you get big enough switch to music full time.

I'd hate to think of you being 35, completely broke, living with your parents, feeling like a loser and still not having accomplished any more than you have right now.

You can't always have what you want. Sometimes things don't work out the way we thing they should.

Play the hand you've been dealt. Don't blindly gamble your life away on a dream

that should be all the producers mentality
but some just give up everything for the music industry

Why in the world would you put your crap stuff up on your pages?

That is how people judge your skills (and rightfully so)...

but the fact is, based on the fact that you have been doing this for a *YEAR* (?!?!) tells me right there that you are not "ready"... nobody knows sh!t in a year.

If you really want to do this and you really take it seriously, you are looking at at least 10 years before you are really any good.

These are the facts.

This is a craft. An art.

It takes time and work.

you would be an idiot to leave school. Stay in school. Work hard both in school and at your music and you may get far.

The best chance you will have of becoming a successful musician/producer who people want to work with will be if you are a well rounded educated smart person. Trust me... I know...

...and then, even if you do not "make it" with your music, at least you will still have a future.

networking with major artists is worthless.

Just get good at your craft and get yourself out there.,.. then if you are any good, things will happen for you.

Besides, if you start "networking" with major artists now when you obviously are not ready to be at that level, you will always be known as that guy who makes crap music.

...and most major artists are pawns who can't even help you if they wanted to ...

...AND, they are more worried about making sure they can just stay afloat THEMSELVES, let alone give a damn about you.

yea thats good advice ^ Im jus losing my mind bein in college I hate school lol.

You hate school? Well, guess what... pretty much EVERYBODY hates school...

But you know what else? most people hate WORK, too! especially if they did not work hard in school and have a *really* miserable job.

20 years from now, you'll look back and *wish* you were back in school livin' that easy life!

I no i dont have my own sound yet im workin on that...

then you should not be networking with "major artists" yet... get your game up before you go for the big time stuff... if you are not ready and you reach too high, you'll always be remembered as "that guy" you were when you first put yourself out there.

n that givin beats to rappers i think are good is exactly what im gunna start doin.

that is how you start to make a name for yourself.

I jus dont wanna turn into like a soundclick producer sellin beats for 10 bucks n ****(no offense to anyone who does this, nothing wrong with it) its just not what my goal is. I think im going to delete my soundclick and just start puttin the odd thing on youtube.

remember-- if there is an artist out there who has a following and is really good and at a level above you, it may be worth your while to associate yourself with him... it is not always about the money you "sell a beat" for... what it is about is who hears you and moving yourself up a level.

understand?

but, at the same time, do not devalue yourself.

I thought like you for a while but now that's changed. There's no other producers in my town so i can't co-produce with anyone in person. There's some rappers but only a few are good. Of them few i contacted only 1 got back to me. After a month or so of emailing back and forth since he took a while we finally met up. He basically said he didn't like most of my beats he'd heard even though he couldn't remember anything and that he wanted me to custom make him some beats that aren't my style and work with over the internet for free. Even though he's the one that can gain from this properly he hasn't got back to me at all since then.

I realized that most people doing Hip-Hop are jokers that don't take music as serious as some of us do and that even if you find someone that's serious you'll be very lucky to be able to work with them and make money from music. It's very rare that you'll make enough money alone off of working directly with artists to live off of it.

Play the hand you've been dealt. Don't blindly gamble your life away on a dream.

EDIT : I forgot to mention online leasing. If you're beats are good enough then you can make enough money off leasing beats online to live off of music. Go into my post history and read what i've wrote a few times about this. You'll find some really helpful advice if you seriously want to make money off of it.

With a few hours of clever promotional techniques every day it shouldn't be too hard.

Online leasing is your best bet to make a living off of music if there's no artists where you live. Soon enough you'll make enough money, have enough experience and be good enough to travel a little bit, work with indie artists and go to big cities to network with majors. That's the route you wanna go.

BTW i haven't actually listened to your music so i won't comment on that. I think you've got to judge yourself on how good you are and whether you're ready or not for a career in music.

Hope i helped.

you have a great, level headed attitude!

You will go far in whatever you do with an attitude like that.

thats wat i hate about the muthafuhkaz on this site .2 pages later and no one has answered the fukin question which was how can u get ur music into the hands of artist that are being promoted and pushed by major labels from a place like oklahoma where its harder to make contacts wit industry insiders who may know some one who knows someone.

thats wat i hate about the muthafuhkaz on this site .2 pages later and no one has answered the fukin question which was how can u get ur music into the hands of artist that are being promoted and pushed by major labels from a place like oklahoma where its harder to make contacts wit industry insiders who may know some one who knows someone.

His question was answered and the discussion has evolved into other related areas.

The answer (again): get good at making music, develop skills and a sound of your own, work with smaller local artists, develop a reputation, get your stuff out there... Then you will have opportunities to meet and work with bigger and better people... And it does not matter where you live.

"Those who don't know tell, and those who know don't tell"

-They Mayor

Are you trying to say there is some secret way for an inexperienced beginner with mediocre skills to network with big famous major label artists that we are hiding from you?

Damn between HipHopBeatMaker and dvyce, you guys hammered home the point pretty well.

I just want to add that I'm in pretty much the same place. Tired of school, tired of working a stupid pointless mindless job, and even more tired of being tired all the time...

Just know that school is going to take what...2 or 4 years to get through? It sounds like a long time but it actually goes pretty quick once you just do it. Think about how fast the last year you've gotten into music has passed. I'd bet it seems like just yesterday...

Just do it, and move on to something else. Hopefully you will have gained some useful knowledge and skills in the meantime.

btw, welcome to real life...it sucks, eh? :cheers:

Back