How would you treat this room???

rizzie

JKBeats.com
Whats good. This is my room only used for producing and mixing. I want to treat this area that I'm working in without going too crazy because I don't need it professional, just something to work with better standards. I know about rew and arc but not going to be doing that because I'm not going too extensive. DIY panels is not an option because I dont have the necessary tools or space to get that done. This is the only available room for my setup to be at the moment. I plan on getting 8 inch monitors either the hs80m or mackie mr8 after treatment. So what would you do to treat this room. any advice would be appreciated.

5ph99v.jpg

2i6ggaw.jpg

5cx8hl.jpg

25j8rqp.jpg

If you just wanted to treat the room for playback and don't want to use acoustic panels I'd take a look at ARC and setting your room up correctly. That means moving the desk and speakers more towards the center (1/3 the room length to be exact) and Moving the furniture to accommodate the listening position.

Last edited:
yea this is all 1 living room. computer at the far end to the windows and walls to the left and right then the area all the way to the back. I want to use acoustic panels and bass traps. I figure I would just throw bass traps in the corners closest to the desktop from floor to ceiling. then acoustic panels on the walls left and right and one in the middle of the windows. would that be sufficient?

maybe. its a big room, with open walkways. Do u plan to just mix and listen, or vocals too? If it's just making a beat on yo DAW and mixing, the main reflection points with absorbers and traps in the corners should be fine. U also should, ideally, treat the area right above your head (z spot), and maybe put the most dense carpet like material on the floor. Check this spot out(Acoustic Panels by ATS Acoustics), they have good prices. I made mine and got the materials from there, but they also have pre-assembled stuff.

yea thats all it is just making a beat and mixing, no vocals or anything else. Ill check out the site. thanks for the advice

some dimensions would be cool. Height, Width, Length, doorway/archway sizes.....

You will need to put up some fake doors over the arches or hang curtains (preferably) as the corridors they front onto will be big acoustic resonators, adding all sorts of extra unwanted reverberations and standing waves to the listening environment

So based on your measurements, I get the following axial room modes present:
ModeHWL
1 70.63 56.50 28.25
2141.26113.00 56.50
3211.89169.50 84.75
Better viewed in these two graphics (click to get the full size image):

By Dimension

Linear Freq

So, some problems that need treating straight up are

56Hz - 2 dimensions
113Hz - 2 dimensions
141Hz - 2 dimensions
170Hz - 2 dimensions
226Hz - 2 dimensions
283Hz - 3 dimensions
565Hz - 2 dimensions

given that two or more dimensions have a reinforced mode at that freq.

Now to setup.

Move your desk so that your listening spot (your chair) is about 6-7' from the windows.

Add heavy curtains to the windows to stop sound getting to the glass and being reflected.

Add heavy curtains to the archways to stop sound getting into the corridors and bouncing around and making even more problems.

Add a mix position cloud that starts out in front of the desk and then tapers upwards as it reaches to you.

Broadband mid traps on each wall.

Broadband bass traps at the corners.

Broadband diffusers around the walls.

See for John L Sayers ~ The Recording Manual more details.

Damn much greatly appreciated on all the info right there. Really appreciate it for real. Ill check out the link and read up more also but will take all advice ans get to work. Will take some time but ill post updates up.

And considering the size of the room do you think 8 inch monitors are fine? I want 8s for the bass but im in an apartment and I can't really blast the monitors. Not sure if I should stick with 5s and use cans for the bass. Im ditching the bx5a deluxe and would get the a5x if I stay 5.5 inch

So based on your measurements, I get the following axial room modes present:

So, some problems that need treating straight up are

56Hz - 2 dimensions
113Hz - 2 dimensions
141Hz - 2 dimensions
170Hz - 2 dimensions
226Hz - 2 dimensions
283Hz - 3 dimensions
565Hz - 2 dimensions

given that two or more dimensions have a reinforced mode at that freq.

Now to setup.

Move your desk so that your listening spot (your chair) is about 6-7' from the windows.

Add heavy curtains to the windows to stop sound getting to the glass and being reflected.

Add heavy curtains to the archways to stop sound getting into the corridors and bouncing around and making even more problems.

Add a mix position cloud that starts out in front of the desk and then tapers upwards as it reaches to you.

Broadband mid traps on each wall.

Broadband bass traps at the corners.

Broadband diffusers around the walls.

Though room modal analysis can give a clear detail to where your modes should be, they are rarely at those same frequencies...and considering the open areas to another room completely interfere with modal analysis, unfortunately those predictions will likely be far off. However - the same general principals and ideas you listed will be extremely helpful. Just like all rooms - you will likely have some large bass resonances, along with some peaks and dips along the entire frequency spectrum. The only way to know for sure is to test the room, which you could do if you had a microphone handy. Check this out if you want to test your room: gikacoustics.com/video_rew_room_eq_wizard_tutorial.html

Otherwise, bass traps would certainly be helpful (in the corners, as well as at first reflection points on the walls and ceiling) for starters. Make sure you are centered between the left and right walls. Curtains on the windows in front of you shouldn't be extremely necessary as no first reflections will be at those points (since high frequencies are directional and your speakers point forwards).

Back