How to start making EDM??

I.C.E. Prod.

Hey FP, thought i might give it a try and ask some of you guys on here.

Im a rap/hip-hop producer, been one for 2 years now. Recently i have started to really enjoy listening to EDM recently, especially Blasterjaxx and Showtek. Being a producer, i ultimately wanted to start producing it. EDM just gives you this feeling, its amazing. I have attempted a few times, but i have fail miserably.

So my main question is, how can i get started on making EDM (Mostly Electro house and Big Room.) Originally being a hiphop producer, where can i start from to make dance music? How did you start? Music theory? Nice Melodies and a drop? How can i learn the fundamentals on making a song like Slow Down by Showtek or this by Blasterjaxx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APM61bqq1ck

Thanks a ton Guys!

Cheers :)

i am assuming the hiphop you make is with real drums because most forms of hiphop nowadays has been edm.Making sounds for electro house? sytrus,zebra nexus omnisphere massive sylenth etc you have a wide selection to choose from.Every song you hear has things in it every capable daw has in the effect and plugin directory.You can even record yourself using whatever it is directly if you plan on going that route.

Making sounds for electro house? sytrus,zebra nexus omnisphere massive sylenth etc you have a wide selection to choose from.
It's not all about the synth, but to be able to create new, unheard sounds inside that synth. I don't have this wide range of synths you listed, only Massive. And I'm still learning how to handle it well.

To the OP: youtube is full of tutorials on how to make electro-house. But be advised that ANYONE is doing electro-house nowadays, so you'll need to work hard to stand out in the crowd. And, for god's sake, keep away from the "yoy bass" thing. It's just awlful.

Start by understanding the structure or the composition of an edm track and maybe also take a look at the general instrumentation involved.
not much theory is involved in the compositions of showtek and blasterjaxx get some tuts on chords on the internet there are loads plus there is this this blog by this dude bandcoach really nice :)
these tracks are also mixed in a certain way to get that EDM feel pay attention to that as well(the most important part)!
Have fun Producing.

Step 1- Forget about which synth to use

step 2-LEARN how to use any synth

Step 3-MAKE a NEW sound in that synth and use it

Step 4-???

Step 5- Profit?

Last edited:
Back