How to sample what you want to sample?

Krayzed

Hey everyone I just joined this forum today, because im looking for some answers.

Heres the problem: I hear samples in many different songs that I want to sample. I feel as though these samples are pure gold to me but I just don't know how to unlock the safe so to speak. The fact that a lot of major producers and artists have used samples from different songs from these same artists makes me feel like im on the right path here..

Im completely new to making music, which is a big part of the problem. But when I go into my program of choise (FL studio or maschine) to attempt doing something with the samples, I just cant put my finger on the X (marks the spot- figure of speech).

I know a little about midi controllers, I have one to use and I can use it some..and I know how to slice in both FL studio and maschine.

heres the bottom line: how do you find find that special sound that attracted you to the song in the first place? How do you get started with the sample? Im not sure how else to word this question.

Hey everyone I just joined this forum today, because im looking for some answers.

Heres the problem: I hear samples in many different songs that I want to sample. I feel as though these samples are pure gold to me but I just don't know how to unlock the safe so to speak. The fact that a lot of major producers and artists have used samples from different songs from these same artists makes me feel like im on the right path here..

Im completely new to making music, which is a big part of the problem. But when I go into my program of choise (FL studio or maschine) to attempt doing something with the samples, I just cant put my finger on the X (marks the spot- figure of speech).

I know a little about midi controllers, I have one to use and I can use it some..and I know how to slice in both FL studio and maschine.

heres the bottom line: how do you find find that special sound that attracted you to the song in the first place? How do you get started with the sample? Im not sure how else to word this question.

If I understand correctly what you want is to find a certain part of a song to sample?

If so, put the song into FL Studio find the part you want and slice it accordingly. The problem is if that if you only want one sound from a song, it's going to be very hard to isolate that one sound, if it's at all possible.

I think what your talking about is recognising key parts that jumps out to you.
If you here it and like itt, take it

Last edited:
Your first attempts won't be good. But you'll keep getting better if you dedicate time to it. If you put in work, you'll hit personal benchmarks where you figure key things out that work for you. If you are picking samples that you noticed big name producers used, then try and "reverse-engineer" the beats and gain a better understanding of how they used those sounds. But yeah man, no magic solution, just work. Good luck!

Edit: Also, I'd suggest (but it's a personal thing), to choose either FL or Maschine as your weapon of choice. The more you focus on one, the greater your grasp of it will be. I went the Maschine route, and I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Back