How to progress?

Vera-BRW

Hey guys,

I've been making music for about 10 months or so, but I hit a sort of brick wall at like 45 followers..
My songs all tend to get a similar amount of plays (between 100 and 400) and never really go beyond there.

My brother makes music and so does his best friend (they convinced me to start too), we're a very musical family (even my parents are in a band
tongue.gif
)
so I often ask his friends for tips on breaking the ice with regards to that stuff (you may recognize ORACLES and his other friend Attom), but they just said try to promote your tracks and stuff, cause they thought my music was already cool. So I said okay then I tried that. I didn't get very far. I'm here now. What advice do you guys have?...

PS: as a side note, you can listen to my music and if you think it's crap and that's the reason I hit the wall I did then PLEASE tell me my music is bad, otherwise I'm just gonna sit here scratching my head over something that's obvious from a distance that no one was up front enough to tell me. If it's bad I need to know XD

- Vera

Last edited:
Well, first and foremost, 10 months just isn't a very long time. I've used this example many times, but if someone says he or she has been playing, say, the guitar for less than a year - you probably don't expect much. Why would it be different with this especially when you're trying to master multiple technical, artistic and theoretical skills at the same time? The internet also skews people's expectations in strange ways...I mean, when I first started dabbling with my own music, getting 50 people to even hear that stuff would've been some kind of an accomplishment. Nowadays it's of course not much (and I'm not saying you should settle for what you've got) but still...I don't think 400 plays is bad at all, in this world oversaturated by mediocre music.

Then a somewhat blunt comment about the music itself (the song in your sig): there's nothing really bad about it. There's nothing especially good about it. I could tell how every chord change would go, how the drums would go and how the melody would turn out. In other words, it's pretty predictable. It's a pretty good approximation of a lot of other music out there, but I'm not sure if that's good enough these days. You'll need to do something to make it stand out, if you want to get further, imo.

i listened to your songs. First of all, they're not exaaacccttlly drum n bass but you're saying thats the genre. They have good ideas and melodic concepts. Have you tried using more "real" sounding drums? you can record drum hits if you have a drum set, or buy a drum kit online for around $10. that'll add a nice clean sound to your mix (if you wanna move up the DnB ladder). Keep going though! :)

I'm not sure whether your asking for help progressing with the music or your marketing; or which you see as more important...

Putting an eq on every track [channel,layer etc] imo.
When makin a beat putting a dedicated eq for everything or at least one eq for percussion bus/melody bus/whatever else bus.

Don't know much of anything about compressors beside sidechain function though.
Seems like you know how to compose that's for sure.

Thanks guys,

I think progression in terms of a fanbase follows progression as a producer suite so more asking about production @I'mNoGuru
I feel like maybe I should just focus on my weaknesses, those being mixing, and getting better at using my software rather than knowledge with regards to the content of my music (almost like I should change HOW I deliver what I deliver rather than WHAT I deliver.) Things are moving however. I've been getting much more compliments/plays/followers the more I post, which wasn't happening at the time of posting, so for the time being I've started to move through this wall. Thank you guys for the advice and compliments :) :)

I've been at it for well over 10 years, I don't even average that many plays on my tracks, some a lot less even. Think about that for a while. :-)

Back