How To Make Trap Beats Not Sound Choppy?

Handmade

I use piano roll, I can't buy hardware for a couple more months. Actually, 2 months exactly from today. How do I make trap beats (and just regular beats in general) not sound choppy with piano roll? Also, does having a MIDI keyboard make the melodies sound less choppy? Help is really appreciated. Thanks.

What sounds you use? I find alota niggas tryna make trap beats is usin wack ass sounds/soundfonts.

I think its just the sounds your using playboy!! You need to layer em up abit and mix em alittle aswell! Go into the Vst your using and play with some knobs and find out what they do!
Man, I'm new as hell. I've been wondering what "layering" and "compressing" means. I don't know how to mix anything too. lol. I'm new, like I said.

Dont stress man!! Layering is when you take 2 sound that are "the same" and layer them with the same notes in both patterns! If you have strings in one pattern with 1 vst Add another vst with strings that are in the same soundrange and add those notes to that pattern!

Compressing is alittle harder to explain, Youtube how to use a compresser and that should help alot!

It takes time to understand everything dont get discouraged just keep working at what you want to do and build skill!

first, u should learn how to EQ.. or get better sounds, cuz most of the soundfonts need a lot of effects(reverb,delay) to sound nice.. by da way, anyone knows some dope trap bells? i got that tubularbells.sf2 but it's wack imo..

Last edited:
Dont stress man!! Layering is when you take 2 sound that are "the same" and layer them with the same notes in both patterns! If you have strings in one pattern with 1 vst Add another vst with strings that are in the same soundrange and add those notes to that pattern!

Compressing is alittle harder to explain, Youtube how to use a compresser and that should help alot!

It takes time to understand everything dont get discouraged just keep working at what you want to do and build skill!
The same exact sounds? What does layering do to make it sound better?

Fasho, Its gonna get easier from here on in man! Youtube has alot of nice tuts, We here at FP can help you also. Like ProdlemBeatz said learn to EQ first that will clear up alot of your sound to give them a better over all sound!

IDK what compression really has to do with this?

But long story short with a compressor you're setting it to say that "once the volume surpasses X level, it's decreased by Y amount".

Well if you want to get a feel for live recording then i would suggest you get used to using the key on your PC as a midi controller. Fl studio allows this feature and it can help give you live feel. All you have to do is click the midi/keyboard button at the top of your transport and start recording away. Learn to use the velocity more too this will help give your notes a natural sound as no two notes ever hit at the same velocity.

Back