How to gain stage your mic pre and interface

thanks for this little guide morning star.

but how would you proceed if you want an optimal gain input when record instruments such as bass or guitar through the instrument DI on audio interface "XYZ"?

I mean do you have to care about different values when it comes to instrument recording in terms of optimal gain input / clipping ratio?

I know im late to this thread but how can i apply this stuff to just reasons record 1.5 as it does not use vst stuff?

Last edited:
Look guys, this is not hard to understand. dbFS is the digital format for decible metering that D.A.W. software uses. Analog gear uses dbVu format. -18dbFS is 0dbVu. Once you understand that it is easy. Some D.A.W. systems have input meters already calibrated. Some don't. Many people look at the mixer screen and try to get the vocals as close to 0db as possible. That is NOT what you want to do. Your sound card will clip at 0dbVu. That means that if your computer is reading higher than -18dbFS for the INPUT then you are clipping at your soundcard already.

What makes you think that a guitar or anything else would be any different? Is it sound? Does your soundcard know the difference between vocals or guitar? Think about it.

Hey Morning Star, I see you use the same Art Tube as me, do you keep both knobs at 12 oclock or the input at 12 and output to the max?

Last edited:
Hey Morning Star, I see you use the same Art Tube as me, do you keep both knobs at 12 oclock or the input at 12 and output to the max?

Start with 12 on both. Tweak to get the sound your looking for and for proper gain staging. The gain is to get the drive you need. The trim output is for gain staging. 12 on both is a great starting point.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/metergain/index.htm

Great link.

So i take from this in a nutshell, Vocals should not go pass -18dBfs? BTW i tried this and i seen how much less i had to eq/compress and when the whole overall mix is turned up the vocals don't sound overly loud.!

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Also what i do is, when folks say the vocals and beat RMS is going to be too low, i route all vocals and beat to a submaster group and raise the volume of that which raises both beat and vocals at the same time without going past -3db on the master fader...correct me if im wrong anyone would like to know feedback

Last edited:
Most beats off the internet are already compressed to hell and back. Just compress your vocals and mix it in. Then add a limiter to protect you from clipping.

i dont want to bring this thread back to life. I just wanna say thanks for the advice.. If been seachin for this

Fuk that...this thread should be stickied. Probably would cut down on half the vocal recording questions.

lol fairly useless tutorial my dude.

Nearly all audio interfaces these days have 0:10 knobs indicating 5 as 0

How does that matter when all noobs care about is the metering in the D.A.W.? Think McFly.... Think.

If that was true then why are there pages and pages of comments from people that it helped. I've spent time as technical support. I know what issues people run into.

I tried to install the PSP VintageMeter, and it is stuck at searching for files, does it normally take this long to install.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I tried to install the PSP VintageMeter, and it is stuck at searching for files, does it normally take this long to install.

Just finished installing, it does take very long 5 - 10 mins, for all those wondering.

Thx for getting this stickied!

I'm just about to set up all my stuff.

EP

went to the download page, and didn't see the audio unit version anywhere..so i downloaded them all (lol) and installed them. Restarted Logic, yada-yada, now when i go to my inserts i don't see it anywhere, so i guess i'm missing something. And another question, wouldn't the level meter that comes with logic (in the metering stock-plug pile) do the same thing? it shows -40 to +15, just using "LED" lights instead...just curious.

Like all knowledge - this thread is totally useless if you already know the information!

However, many people don't - and really need to.

Nice thread Morning_Star - knowledge doesn't need to be complex to be extremely important.

Back