How to decide which DAW to get ?(please read before answering)

G.E.PRODUCTIONS

I know this question has been asked a million times so sorry for asking it again.Until now I used FL studio and it did the job just fine until I started getting into orchestral tracks for films or whatever, and realized that FL studio just won't do anymore.The main reason I decided to move to another DAW is that I have to configure a MIDI channel every time I want to get the mod wheel to work and it's very time consuming.I saw some people working with cubase and I liked it but for some reasons which aren't important I don't want to get cubase.
So here are some details that might give you an idea about what would be ideal for me:
-I'm working on a Windows PC
-Budget isn't an issue
-Geared towards film composers
-I will be working with VST instruments(Kontakt mostly) so the workflow in the piano roll and MIDI in general has to be a priority.
-I want to be able to freeze midi tracks like you can do in cubase to save memory and CPU
-I like most of the stuff from cubase so it would be a good thing (if possibly) to have a lot of similarities

I know this question has been asked a million times so sorry for asking it again.Until now I used FL studio and it did the job just fine until I started getting into orchestral tracks for films or whatever, and realized that FL studio just won't do anymore.The main reason I decided to move to another DAW is that I have to configure a MIDI channel every time I want to get the mod wheel to work and it's very time consuming.I saw some people working with cubase and I liked it but for some reasons which aren't important I don't want to get cubase.
So here are some details that might give you an idea about what would be ideal for me:
-I'm working on a Windows PC
-Budget isn't an issue
-Geared towards film composers
-I will be working with VST instruments(Kontakt mostly) so the workflow in the piano roll and MIDI in general has to be a priority.
-I want to be able to freeze midi tracks like you can do in cubase to save memory and CPU
-I like most of the stuff from cubase so it would be a good thing (if possibly) to have a lot of similarities

What don'y u like about Cubase? It's important because you said you liked Cubase and it's features. so what about that you don't like so that we may know what functions will turn you off of a D.A.W.

seriously, for what you describe, cubase is the perfect fit for your needs

It's not important.Take my word for it lol.

oh, but it is - my first thought as i read your initial request was cubase until I hit the I don't want to use cubase line. then you praise it, so there must be a very deepseated reason, however illogical, for you to not want to use cubase - if you can tell us what then we can determine if there is a daw that will do what you want with the same feature set

^^^Agreed.

If I have to take a shot in the dark, I'd suggest you demo Reaper or Studio One. But if Cubase works for you other than 1 small thing, any of these could have issues you hate more, lol.

You also said budget wasn't an issue. I could see Logic Pro($199)being an option, but you'd also need a Mac to run it. A new Mac mini($599)could run it and any cross platform vsts you have(Kontakt and anything else made for both Mac and PC, will say on the boxes). You can go with a Macbook Pro or iMac, but the new Mac minis are faster than they were just a couple years ago. The reason I suggest mac for this specific post is that for scoring IMO it's hard to match the ease of use of logic. I'd suggest you look up a few vids on youtube and keep in mind you'd be using your Kntakt library where some of the guys posting are using sounds that aren't as good. Pay attention to the workflow.

^^^Agreed.

If I have to take a shot in the dark, I'd suggest you demo Reaper or Studio One. But if Cubase works for you other than 1 small thing, any of these could have issues you hate more, lol.

You also said budget wasn't an issue. I could see Logic Pro($199)being an option, but you'd also need a Mac to run it. A new Mac mini($599)could run it and any cross platform vsts you have(Kontakt and anything else made for both Mac and PC, will say on the boxes). You can go with a Macbook Pro or iMac, but the new Mac minis are faster than they were just a couple years ago. The reason I suggest mac for this specific post is that for scoring IMO it's hard to match the ease of use of logic. I'd suggest you look up a few vids on youtube and keep in mind you'd be using your Kntakt library where some of the guys posting are using sounds that aren't as good. Pay attention to the workflow.

Logic sounds good but honestly I would rather be working in eJay Hip Hop than buying a mac or any other apple product.

I spent all day demoing Sonar,Ableton live,Digital performer,Reaper and I still have Studio one left.If Studio one doesn't work out I'll go with goddamn Cubase lol.If it's good enough for Hans Zimmer ,it should be good enough for me too haha.

Back