How to compose

mannav21

Hey GuysOne of my friend doesn't know any instrument but want to compose music. If he learn tutorial from google, youtube and e-books of music production and take good knowledge of any DAW (FL Studio, cubase or any other), can he able to compose music independently? Is this mandatory to learn any instrument to compose music?Plz advice me in this regardsThank you

I compose music, and i don't really play any instrument except for keyboard (which I learned by making music in the first place)

With that said, no, it's not mandatory to know an instrument to make music, but it's absolutely boring without it.

Last edited:
Basic knowledge of music theory (i.e. scales, chords, chord progression, etc.) makes it easier to compose music. Learning an instrument is not not totally necessary. However, practicing what you have learn about music theory on an instrument decreases the time it will take to produce music that is listenable. You can always "click in" midi notes on a piano roll inside your DAW, but it will take more time and in my opinion be less fun. Hope this helps.

people like 'your friend' that are too lazy to learn music theory look up and find a ton of justification about why the dont need it. Because its out there, and you dont NEED it. But it takes the guessing out of everything. And if you do have a good ear, it makes sense and tells you WHY you have a good ear and what it all means.

No one ever says "I'm so pissed i learnt theory I cant make anything anymore"
It only helps you. And if you have a good teacher/source you can learn the basics of what you need pretty quick. Lots of music theory teachers forget the person learning doesnt know anything so the stuff that should be simple in the teachers eyes (and is simple) doesnt make any sense to the student until it clicks.. Which can take forever unless its presented right. You need to find a way to understand it and it'll come. Finding a good teacher source is harder than finding the information contained in theory. I cant learn music theory by reading it, other people can. I need video sources that i can go back and replay over and over until I get it. You dont wanna move onto the next part of theory until you know you have the prior part down. And most video sources on youtube are shit. I never was successful in learning basic theory from youtube. Took until I went to a paid site to understand some of the things I never could get..but now I'm taking it in school too (just started it this semester) and its coming together waaaaaaay way better.

Last edited:
Back