How to add Warmth to vocals

This is something I recently did.....
Waves SSL Comp(love it) into the Sonnox Inflator...(plugins)

Experiment with the Sonnox Inflator "effect" and "curve" sliders, too taste...

I use the Inflator(sometimes) when mastering.
Never thought to use it on vocals alone, and really drive it...

Created a nice creamy warm sound.....

Last edited:
Try running vocals through a 175b, amazing things will happen!

Out of all the preamps I have used: Focusrite red series, Neve 8801, Mackie VLZ, Avalon M5, SSL, Presonus blue tube, Allen&Heath MixWizard, the Allen&Heath seems to be the warmest sounding. Next to that is the presonus blue tube. If you're on a budget, then the presonus is a great option because it sounds almost as warm as Allen&Heath. The difference between the two is negligible. You could probably find one for less than $200. You might also want to check mic placement. Do not place the mic in front of a flat wall! You will get phase cancellation from the sound waves that are reflecting back into the mic, and your vocals will sound thin. Try to find that sweet spot in the room, plant the mic there like a tree.

I'm pretty much over the warm sound for vocals. At least male vocals. So much warmth. I'm going after clear full vocals with presence.
Moving to Cape Cod this summer might make me rethink the whole warmth thing again though.!!!

Another good one is the Virsyn VTape Saturation plugin....
Demo'n it right now(need dongle)...and 112dB Redline came out with a plugin called "Preamp", haven't tried it though. But I am liking the saturation options I'm seeing on the GUI...might try it later

I've tried Antares Mic Modeler, but it doesn't do a good job of emulating mics. There are too many factors that affect the response of a mic to emulate it in a software plug-in. Like notice if you place the mic closer, then it sounds bassy, but when you place it farther away it sounds clear and captures more of the room ambience. If you want clear vocals, just place the mic farther away. Vocal technique has a lot to do with it too. You'll get clearer vocals if you sing with your head up, try to sing with your head down and you'll notice a bassy sound.

I've tried Antares Mic Modeler, but it doesn't do a good job of emulating mics. There are too many factors that affect the response of a mic to emulate it in a software plug-in. Like notice if you place the mic closer, then it sounds bassy, but when you place it farther away it sounds clear and captures more of the room ambience. If you want clear vocals, just place the mic farther away. Vocal technique has a lot to do with it too. You'll get clearer vocals if you sing with your head up, try to sing with your head down and you'll notice a bassy sound.

I also tested/analyzed the mic modeler a long time ago...
Doesn't work.
Though can be used for sound design....so may have a use for some...
dialing in the proximity parameter creates interesting sound....if thats what you are after...
There are also alot of variables...as to why it was flawed from the start.....
Preamp being used, other....

I just did a demo on Redline Preamp, sounds pretty sweet.

Also did a demo on some of the Softube stuff.
Requires ILok

Im telling you right now, I think that the Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B is the best damn thing I have heard...though its sound wouldn't be used in every situation, this thing is versatile, and creamy....
Especially with its Fixed/Man mode of release....if you understand how to use it.....you can tailor your own release curves.....
this thing has some damn mojo, no lie....
I'm thinking I may have just found that plugin that everyone is looking for, that magic one that everyone claims does not exist.....LOL

The thing is, its hard to get non bias reviews from actual owners of emulated hardware. Alot of people that actually own the Tube-Tech, are dumbfounded with how this thing sounds....but then you have just a couple that say, "Nope, it just doesn't have that sound".

So either the people who are disagreeing, are being bias, possibly bitter that a plugin version of their hardware unit, that they paid serious doe for, sounds like a hardware unit would....

Or, since units like this, all have their own sound, they are of course comparing it to theirs, which of course, doesn't sound like the plugin.
And have never heard other units like theirs, to actually know the signature overall sound/flavor of the unit in question...

And if they were to hear audio processed with a hardware unit, but told it was processed with a plugin emulation, and asked if they think it sounds close to hardware, some would say "hell no"....even though it was really processed with hardware....

anyway, going off subject as usual, thats my A.D.D. kicking in....

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone mentioned this but there is a free plugin called TesslaSE (not a hundred percent thats the exact name). But its pretty nice for saturation and it's free so its worth a try...

I was havin gthis problem and one day i just wen tall out and got a NEVE clone, and added external compression and it was like BAM all the warmth i need.

but now and then i use my duets pres when im doing rough mixes and I fatten things up with THE UAD FATSO COMP and it is super warm ! it does a decent job!!! and warming things and i think is the best plugin comp ive used. if you could swing some uad neve eq also that will defenitely bring things out!

I also like the CHRIS LORD ALGAE waves comps they are super warm , all you need is an ilok and u can demo those! from waves try em.

Back