How Pink Floyd's "The Wall" relates to hip hop

respect_mbs said:
a few of those beats blew my mind...but sometimes kool keith loses me. I think someone like nas or andre 3000 have the potential to make a concept lp that appeals to a wider audience. Ima look for Lupe to drop one sometime in his career

Yeah Andre 3000 kills it when he tries to be lyrical. In my opinion he's the one who shined the most on the "International Player's Anthem" with UGK. He's at his best as a rapper and not a Prince clone.

i <3333 pink floyd. dark side of the moon is my ****. i want to make an instrumental cd entirely out of dark side of the moon. it really wouldn't be hard to make a good single/club banger in a concept album. alot of rappers just rn't that creative. i think there should be more concept cds in hip hop. if rappers would be more creative it wouldn't be hard to make it commercially successful.

you could say TI vs TIP is a concept album.

allot rap record have concepts: i a real nigga,i sell dope,i kill,i got money,i love hoes ,i live in the club,i'm fly

you may not like the concepts but they do have them

bxdiplomat said:
allot rap record have concepts: i a real nigga,i sell dope,i kill,i got money,i love hoes ,i live in the club,i'm fly

LMFAO. i'm hoping ur joking lol. concepts do not = get the top producers and top rappers featured on ur tracks with the same subjects u hear all the time.

bobsmitt said:
LMFAO. i'm hoping ur joking lol. concepts do not = get the top producers and top rappers featured on ur tracks with the same subjects u hear all the time.

Diplomat was right. The concepts are there. Most albums present themselves as a rapper telling his story anyway. I think where they fall short from the 'concept album' mark is not putting a structure to tell their stories from point a to point b. But the potential is definitely there.

well that's true but i still think that most of those albums seem to be more a collection good songs without any underlying story/theme.

the same subject in every song does not make the album is a concept. major rappers out now sometimes have songs w/ a concept on their albums but not concept albums.

i think Little Brother's albums are like concept albums too.

Last edited:
818420AllDay said:
The concepts are there. Most albums present themselves as a rapper telling his story anyway. I think where they fall short from the 'concept album' mark is not putting a structure to tell their stories from point a to point b.
yea ,besides how yall talk about how much they don't talk about **** and have dumb ass lyrics do you really want to hear them tell stories .
it would be like

1.intro
2.mommy make me go to school
3. i hate school
4. i told mommy i want to rap
5. i stop going to school
6. i sell dirt weed on the corner
7.i rap on the corner
8.i just got myspace(skit)
9. i spam my raps on myspace
10. i just got a deal what the fukc(skit)
11. some white guy give me money
12.i spend most of the money on weed
13. i go to clubs
14.i found a hoe at the club
15. i made a hit single
16. i had a kid with the hoe
17.i'm on child support now(skit)
18.my album flop
19. i need to pay those white guys they money
20. back in my mommy basement
21. outro

Tech N9ne's Anghellic = greatest hip-hop concept album ever made.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon = greatest album ever made.

I think it may be a cool idea to do a concept album one day. I also think that big name artists whose stars are beginning to fade it migh be a good idea to check into it as well.

Isn't the new Nine Inch Nails album a concept album (not hip-hop though)?

bxdiplomat said:

That's not a cohesive, well thought - out concept, that's a generic, tired ass formula.

Leo's Productions said:
Lol I was thinking that too. That's why I said some of the more lyrical artists should step up and just put an amazing album together. An artist like Nas has the intelligence to write an amazing album and the access to the best producers to get the musical aspect of it right. Why doesn't it happen though? Artists seem to be scared to step up and do something really creative.

because, artist do whats going to sale, and what people buy its music business not music hobby ...

and there are rappers out there holding masters degrees, that u yourself i doubt have so dont be so quick to call rappers dumb,

and if u want examples both
david banner, and State quo hold BA degrees or higher,

the comment sounds racist, stereotypical and plain ignorant ur a damn idiot

PROOFS SOLO ALBUM WAS A CONCEPT ALBUM, FINDING JERRRY GARCIA OR CHASING JERRY GARCIA SOMTHING LIKE THAT, AND THAT **** DIDN'T SALE

FLOP

RIP PROOF Concept albums dont sell, becasue conscious music doesnt sell and those are the artist who typically do those types of records
U COULD AL SO SAY GET RICH OR DIE TRYING WAS a concept album, he gave u a theme, and he stuck to it throughout the entire album 8 cats stick to underground hiphop where there is actually a forum for it, but then again how many of u cats went out and got dialated peoples last album, and i mean bought it not download it probably not many

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, 36 Chambers is actually considered a a concept album being that it's a battle between the Wu-Tang vs. The Shaolin

Last edited:
BobKennedy said:
the comment sounds racist, stereotypical and plain ignorant ur a damn idiot

Hmm...How was what I said racist? What I was saying was that modern rappers should try to put more thought into putting their albums together. All my favorite rappers did that back in the day whether it be a concept album or putting together a highly lyrical album. Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Rakim, KRS-ONE, Kool G Rap (Greatest story teller in hip hop ever), Wu-Tang, and many more.

BobKennedy said:
and there are rappers out there holding masters degrees, that u yourself i doubt have so dont be so quick to call rappers dumb,

I don't hold a masters degree, but I am in college. I didn't call rappers dumb, I was merely agreeing that the lyrical content of a lot of modern MC's is pretty lackluster. So I'd like to try your Wu-Tang style young man!

BobKennedy said:
Concept albums dont sell, becasue conscious music doesnt sell and those are the artist who typically do those types of records
i guess that's semi true but with creativity it is definitly possible to create a concept album that could sell. u just need to be creative about it like i said before to create good singles out of it.

bk u are the rapper from crack city, right? i think the concept u kinda had with ur title is a concept that could produce a commercially viable album. you just need to fit club/radio styled songs into that concept.

Leo's Productions said:
Hmm...How was what I said racist? What I was saying was that modern rappers should try to put more thought into putting their albums together. All my favorite rappers did that back in the day whether it be a concept album or putting together a highly lyrical album. Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Rakim, KRS-ONE, Kool G Rap (Greatest story teller in hip hop ever), Wu-Tang, and many more.

I don't hold a masters degree, but I am in college. I didn't call rappers dumb, I was merely agreeing that the lyrical content of a lot of modern MC's is pretty lackluster. So I'd like to try your Wu-Tang style young man!

If i recall you said most rappers are dumb, thats stereotyping rappers. It's ignorant because your speaking on somthing u dont know. how can u call rappers dumb without knowing their background level of inteligince, or level of education. It sounds racist to me, because most rappers are predominatly africian american. So your calling the majority of rappers dumb. which includes me the same category. And only an idiot all beit in my opinion would make such a bold statement calling all rappers dumb. The music business is a tough business, and I dont know of any dumb people that actually succeded in making it in this industry,

also I dont rap ne thing like wutang Im not from new york Im from ILLinois
, and how old are you to be calling me youngman.

bobsmitt said:
i guess that's semi true but with creativity it is definitly possible to create a concept album that could sell. u just need to be creative about it like i said before to create good singles out of it.

bk u are the rapper from crack city, right? i think the concept u kinda had with ur title is a concept that could produce a commercially viable album. you just need to fit club/radio styled songs into that concept.

Yea Bob I am, and your right Campaign trail is a concept, along with the whole presidential series, and the next one will be more commercially viable, and also, will stick with the whole concept better than campaign trail did. The first record that me and crackcity did was experimental because we had just linked up with eachother now we have the foundation set, and are building upon that

BobKennedy said:
Yea Bob I am, and your right Campaign trail is a concept, along with the whole presidential series, and the next one will be more commercially viable, and also, will stick with the whole concept better than campaign trail did. The first record that me and crackcity did was experimental because we had just linked up with eachother now we have the foundation set, and are building upon that
yeah i noticed that u kinda had a kanye type concept going which is more that the cd is more loosely connected to the concept (although the songs didn't really have much to do with the concept.. w/e. it was kinda ur big debut so that wasn't what was being focused i would awesome)

i think it's a good idea to do the kanye style concept albums (as i like to call them) becuase although u don't have a 100% concept album there's still kind of an underlying theme on most of the songs.

it's nice to see that there are people still doing that in rap (although i didn't like TI vs TIP, i commend TI for attempting to kind of create a concept album). i wish it would be done more because it makes me more interested in listening to the whole cd. i hope it's done more in the future because it makes cds more interesting though sometimes a more loose collection of songs type of album is nice to hear too.

i don't really want every album to be a concept album but i like them alot and most of these "throw tons of producers and artists onto my album" albums only have a few hot tracks and the rest are only ok.

Last edited:
bobsmitt said:
yeah i noticed that u kinda had a kanye type concept going which is more that the cd is more loosely connected to the concept (although the songs didn't really have much to do with the concept.. w/e. it was kinda ur big debut so that wasn't what was being focused i would awesome)

QUOTE]

Yea bob Campaign trail for me was more of a metaphor to what I was trying to do with my music and the project. I felt I was literally campaigning I was a completely unheard of artist to the mixtape scene, and with my rap name it just kinda went hand in hand, but like I said that was the first mixtape cd we'd put together and it was experimental Election day will be alot more polished, and the concept will go along more with the music.

if you like pink floyd and reggae get dub side of the moon i think by easystar allstars

BobKennedy said:
If i recall you said most rappers are dumb, thats stereotyping rappers. It's ignorant because your speaking on somthing u dont know. how can u call rappers dumb without knowing their background level of inteligince, or level of education. It sounds racist to me, because most rappers are predominatly africian american. So your calling the majority of rappers dumb. which includes me the same category. And only an idiot all beit in my opinion would make such a bold statement calling all rappers dumb. The music business is a tough business, and I dont know of any dumb people that actually succeded in making it in this industry,

Man I'm not even going to go to the trouble of explaining myself to you. This e-battle stuff is ridiculous. Below is the quote of what I said. What I mean is the mainstream artists of today don't have the chops that artists did 12-15 years ago. Artists put in serious work and paid their dues to get respected by their peers. Tis' all I'm saying man. This whole thread got started because I was listening to Pink Floyd and was thinking about how well thought out their music is. Then I said to myself "my favorite hip hop artists did that back in the day. Why don't they do it anymore?" Then I posted a thread pondering that question. If I indirectly called modern hip hop artists idiots in the process, then so be it. Besides, you say yourself in your myspace that "kids growing up don't have any good rappers to look up to anymore." So you know what I'm talking about.

Leo's Productions said:
Lol I was thinking that too. That's why I said some of the more lyrical artists should step up and just put an amazing album together. An artist like Nas has the intelligence to write an amazing album and the access to the best producers to get the musical aspect of it right. Why doesn't it happen though? Artists seem to be scared to step up and do something really creative.

Last edited:
People have brought up many albums that meet the criteria for a concept album, but the thread is about good concept albums that tell a cohesive story, something the mainstream hip hop industry just frankly isn't capable of doing.

A good start would to take out all those damn skit tracks

Back