how many synth do 1 producer need?

motivation101

what's the deal folks this your boi riidah just have a question for everybody on fp do u need more than one synth or u just need to sit down with one and learn the in and out of one?

You can make entire tracks with just one synth provided you know what you are doing and it's flexible enough, but not all synths are exactly alike so some producers will have a collection of synths in order to create specific sounds.

yeah thats what i mean do people like the presets or make their own sounds

when dealing with synths you have several different kinds of synths and generally if you are talking about a workstation (which I think you are) then the presets should be enough to do most things. Most people who are talking about synths are talking about synths that generate tones known as wave forms (kinda similar to a dial tone on a house phone in some ways) and they do different things to said tones to make different sounds.

Well it's correct that with a workstation, you pretty much just deal with presets, and you won't really have to know audio synthesis (most don't even allow you to do full analog style synthesis), there's still a lot of learning ahead to know the machine inside and out, you'll need to learn different ways to sequence, put sounds together, layer, mix, apply effects, etc.

Then again, most proper workstation do allow for quite a bit of synthesis, even if they're not "pure" synthesizers. That most people don't ever delve any deeper than the presets doesn't mean you can't do it :)

Get to know a proper synth inside and out and you can practically make it do jumping jacks. Just do a lot of research beforehand so you know what's most suitable for your needs.

Ask yourself this: Are you good enough for this synth? How much time are you willing to spend learning? Are you going to learn it, or just depend on its presets? These are very important questions to ask before investing in a synth, whether hardware or softsynth.

Personally though, I use a handful of different synths and utilize them for different things. I like to mix and match. Sometimes, it just feels more comfortable using one particular synth as opposed to another - I can't explain why. It may be the quality, content, or just the fact that it's simpler. But there's nothing like getting to know a really good synth inside and out.

I have a rule to make at least 10 productions for each new synth I purchase. And I tend to break that rule quite often.

Anyway, once did all sounds on a tech house release with TAL Noisemaker (free synth), that was fun..

Last edited:
When starting, is vey important to have fun in order to maintain motivation. First steps are the harder ones. ONE workstation is a goo choice for starting. You have sequencing, some basics of synthesis, and a good introduction to general rules of the production with hardware. Dig it. Then later, you diversify your gear into several especialized machines.

If you go the VSTi route, I'd say it's good to have one pro sampler and one pro synth. All the rest is extras and specialty sounds. There are certain things you can only do with a synth and some things you can only do with a sampler. So have both and you are covered. Just make sure what you've got sounds good and you won't need a whole lot.

when dealing with synths you have several different kinds of synths and generally if you are talking about a workstation (which I think you are) then the presets should be enough to do most things. Most people who are talking about synths are talking about synths that generate tones known as wave forms (kinda similar to a dial tone on a house phone in some ways) and they do different things to said tones to make different sounds.
No not talking about a workstation a synth like access virus or moog

A better question would be: 'How many synths should 1 producer try?' And there is the only one correct answer: quite many. This is the right way to find what fits you best. With softsynths it is easier - there are no demo versions of hardware ones. Thus, I'd learn the basics firsthand, using virtual instruments, and refrain from buying "Access Virus or Moog" before you at least can explain what is the difference between them.

Nearly all VST-synthesizers have a demo or trial period so try before you buy. Then, once again, you will know which of them are easier to work with for you. For someone else their interface may be not intuitive or possibilities not the ones they seek but you should see for yourself.

Another problem is that there are many people who are always downloading various VSTi, but don't seem to work on actual music. Thus, it is better to have 1 synth and know it, as it was said, inside and out than 1,000 plug-ins which all do the same and you don't actually use them anyway. So I'd rather you asked yourself which of those synths you tried are subjectively the best, with emphasis on 'subjectively'. I mean, you might have not gathered much knowledge about synthesis yet, but if you had some considerable results with a certain synth - i.e. recorded a track or programmed a sound which is at least approximately sounds as you wanted it to - then learn it deeper from the now on, it seems like it works for (and on) you.

To my view, eventually it is a result that matters - the best instruments are those which inspire you to create more and better music. If you have created loads of good music with one synth only - it is just great. Experienced musicians may need many instruments to make sure they can craft the necessary sound - they know which are better for what etc., - but on beginning stages you don't need much gear or plug-ins, it will only confuse you. You just have to choose a few and move from that point, exploring their sonic potential. For me it is better to use all 101% of what an instrument offers than have a Jack-of-all-trades studio, where you have 10 to infinity keyboards and hardly know what a certain knob or switch is for.

Last edited:
Back