how many bars in a good loop?

... I'd say 4

but I have done 2 bar loops and gotten away w/ it...

now are you guys talking about drum loops or melody? because i have i believe a 5 bar loop set up for my drums, and right now i have 5 set up for my melody, but thats why i was asking if i should add more bars to my melody, i def want to, but im not sure how much is too much

If your drums change up... you can probably get away w/ 2... seriously...

it's more about selling the beat to an artist than making it interesting...

kid848 said:

If your drums change up... you can probably get away w/ 2... seriously...

it's more about selling the beat to an artist than making it interesting...

wait a minute, u talkin about if i change up my drums i can get away with a 2 bar melody?? cause thats REALLY hard to believe, and also when changing up the drums, do u mean like drastically or just drop or add a couple sounds??

hay man just do what feels good 2,4,5. if it works for you and you like it it's up 2 you. you can drop the hihat in places or what ever just try to keep things from getting boring .if your working in a software program you can string out your loop for 32 bars then go in and do your edits that way.like take out instruments for a couple bars then bring them back in.that would be a good start .then start the loop from bar 9 that would be your verse going into your chorus.

xtrordinare said:
wait a minute, u talkin about if i change up my drums i can get away with a 2 bar melody?? cause thats REALLY hard to believe, and also when changing up the drums, do u mean like drastically or just drop or add a couple sounds??

Man... PSA is a frickin 2 bar piano loop that happens to drop another 2 bar organ on top of it...

Changing up drums... as in multiple buildups... not overdoing anything...but keeping your drums interesting makes it seems like the beat is going somewhere...even though it isn't.

It's not about how complicated your beat is... it's about selling the track and an idea to an artist...

xtrordinare said:

Study some hits man, seriously some beats are even made from 1 bar.

Cyko said:
Study some hits man, seriously some beats are even made from 1 bar.

Yep... ALOT...

I don't like the beat...but the excuse me miss remix is a 1 bar loop

I think an even number of bars would be a good rule. as for the drums, i'd go with the same rationale but its probably less important.

from anywhere between 4 and 8 is what i usually use, if you can come up with a 16 bar loop (original composition), then god bless you and please share your secret

~1~

Well its really up to you....if you want to make a song with 5 bars to loop...i think it would be a weird song, :D but uh, thats just my opinion. Generally people make a song in 4 bar increments, since the common time is 4:4. Then again timing can be change theres no rule that says you cant ;) .

Safani Minded

agent47 said:
from anywhere between 4 and 8 is what i usually use, if you can come up with a 16 bar loop (original composition), then god bless you and please share your secret

~1~

Seriously...lol...

and I think a 16 bar loop may be too much... often an 8 bar loop is a little too much...

but "Jesus Walks" was a 90 second loop...

8 bar loops are what i usually do. but 16 bars isnt anything amazing to do. I do that alot with drum patterns.

8 bar, 16 bar... does one really have to think in these categories? its a melody; its as long as it has to be. it can be 2 bars and sound better than if you tried to purposely extend it. it depends. loop-wise, i've done up to 12 bar.. but most likely more; i just wouldn't remember cause i don't focus on it. once you start changing stuff up... does it really matter?

yea. I usually will do that. that way, i can just add the fills and stuff on the8 and 16. its not hard. if u have a MIDI controller its easy. thats just hwo I work. My Main teachers from production are the neptunes, they do bars of 8 mostly. Thats what I do mostly, but i do like to do 16 as well.

WOW, sometimes ill do like 8 or 10 bars for drums, i think its easier, you can put the basics and then later on in the pattern just throw in other percs and whatnot

Back