How long do you take to make a song ?

Ishi

i just wanted to see how long others take with their songs basically a few questions to clear things out

How long does it take you to make a short 8 bar beat ?

How long does it take you to turn the beat into a song With NO vocals ? ( No mix )

How long does it take you to mix the song ?

How long does it take you to make a full song WITH vocals ?

How long does it take you to make a complete MP3 Ready to be published ?

(feel free to answer only one or few of them)

Last edited:
- Less than 5 minutes

How long does it take you to turn the beat into a song With NO vocals ? ( No mix )
- 30 to 45 minutes

- about a day

How long does it take you to make a full song WITH vocals ?
- I don't

How long does it take you to make a complete MP3 Ready to be published ?
- less than 5 minutes

Not everyone makes beats. Not everyone makes songs. Not everyone makes tracks starting with drum loops. Not everyone mixes at the end.

Honestly, for me it takes weeks just for 1 song, I feel like I overdo it yet I still do because it seems like every track I make puts me in a situation where I am more comfortable with my skills as a producer.

It depends on the song tbh they vary greatly but to make an 8 bar beat is generally 5-10 minutes, however if you think about sound design as well it could be a lot longer. To expand that 8 bar idea into a song depends on how quick the ideas come, could be another 10 minutes or I might leave it unfinished forever :D
In terms of mixing, I pretty much mix as I go and then make any adjustments I want each time I listen to it... I couldn't estimate any type of time frame for this.

For vocals it can be really quick, 5 minutes recording, 5 minutes to perfect the vocal and get it to fit in the song but it depends on the quality of the vocal... If there are lots of edits to be made it could take much longer, if you have an amazing vocalist it could be one-take and you're done. Plus if you're writing a song you have to take that into consideration as well, lyrics could come instantly or take months.

5 minutes

20-60 mins

I mix while I'm producing

Back