How Does Vybe, Johnny Juliano, Superstar O Get There Mixes Soooooo Crisp?....

Go to vybe's site. The one that is currently playing in the pic is the fifth track down, "SheCold".

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

So I decided that I'd try to recreate one or more of his songs to get the feel of how he works. As you can see, he cuts all frequencies past about 16khz. I'm having a hard time cutting the frequencies with such a fine line like you see in my pic. I've tried a few different EQ's, but none of them are that precise. Any ideas on how I could achieve this?

Last edited:
Go to vybe's site. The one that is currently playing in the pic is the fifth track down, "SheCold".

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

So I decided that I'd try to recreate one or more of his songs to get the feel of how he works. As you can see, he cuts all frequencies past about 16khz. I'm having a hard time cutting the frequencies with such a fine line like you see in my pic. I've tried a few different EQ's, but none of them are that precise. Any ideas on how I could achieve this?

Is the track that you analyzed an mp3, or other form of data compressed audio?

There's nothing crisp about that instrumental. You can hear that he lowpassed the track; standard mp3 compress does roll off the highs from 16khz but not that dramatically. Play the instrumental and look at w.e u use for frequency analysis and you'll notice that he low passed everything except the kick. Wether it's intentional or not is the question. I think it's a way to get people to buy the actual instrumental for the full quality, because theres nothing clear and crisp about this.

You're right actually, that one is not very scooped. (This was me listening on laptop speakers though)

I don't really listen to Vybe at all so my comment does not apply to him. But JJ and SuperstarO? Scooped mids...

Is the track taken from YouTube - cause YouTube butt-rapes the high end. Horrible aliasing, space monkeys, roll off starts around 10k.

Just gave it a listen - wow - sounds really weird. Whatever's doing that, I wouldn't want to emulate it.

Last edited:
Is the track taken from YouTube - cause YouTube butt-rapes the high end. Horrible aliasing, space monkeys, roll off starts around 10k.

Just gave it a listen - wow - sounds really weird. Whatever's doing that, I wouldn't want to emulate it.

Yeah I took a listen to 'she cold' absolutely no high end in there. And that main synth is SO honky. Eeww...

EDIT: And something just sounds 'wrong' with it

Last edited:

lol yo weiss is absolutely correct. those are bad files you're looking at. sites like youtube compress the hell out of some files. so the ones you are analyzing are corrupted. no track should look like that in a spectral field. if you doubt then buy the actual file in its entirety and compare the one you have now with the one you'll purchase. be careful where you buy it from to. wouldn't want to end up with something with a low bit rate. talking from experience.

Well, I just played the song and recorded my wave output on my soundcard, which is very accurate. It doesn't compress the file at all. If there's any compression, it's on soundclick or on his own beats.

There's nothing crisp about that instrumental. You can hear that he lowpassed the track; standard mp3 compress does roll off the highs from 16khz but not that dramatically. Play the instrumental and look at w.e u use for frequency analysis and you'll notice that he low passed everything except the kick. Wether it's intentional or not is the question. I think it's a way to get people to buy the actual instrumental for the full quality, because theres nothing clear and crisp about this.

What is W.E.U.?

Well, I just played the song and recorded my wave output on my soundcard, which is very accurate. It doesn't compress the file at all. If there's any compression, it's on soundclick or on his own beats.

What is W.E.U.?

w.e. u (whatever you) he meant whatever you use. lol. seriously those are bad song files you're listening to. listen to these guys. they won't steer you wrong.

Bad files I'm listening to? How so? What are you comparing them to? Did you buy some vybe tracks?

And can someone explain how to cut frequencies in such a finite way?

Bad files I'm listening to? How so? What are you comparing them to? Did you buy some vybe tracks?

Bad files. Meaning the reason why they appear to have been EQed so well on the high end is because wherever you got them from were compressed dramatically. Just like how radio can diminish mastered material websites can to. It might even be something you use to download music with that's causing them to look like that. In short, those guys you've mentioned, vyb, for example, did not do that intentionally. The website or device you're using to obtain those tracks are cutting off a lot of that high end.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Bad files. Meaning the reason why they appear to have been EQed so well on the high end is because wherever you got them from were compressed dramatically. Just like how radio can diminish mastered material websites can to. It might even be something you use to download music with that's causing them to look like that. In short, those guys you've mentioned, vybz for example, did not do that intentionally. The website or device you're using to obtain those tracks are cutting off a lot of that high end.

I doubt its bad files, the kick still has its high end while everything else doesnt.

But this cant be intentional EQing. i think the kick wasn't harmed in the process because it doesn't have a lot of high end.

Last edited:
Ace, are you saying you have a "good" file of the same song? If not, I don't understand where you can get off saying that I have a "bad" one.

Maybe bad is a poor choice of words. But put it to you this way. I use parametric EQ 2 also. And I compared two identical tracks using it. One track was bought off beatport and the other was an illegal download. The illegal download looked exactly how what you've shown us looks in that spectral field. I did this test on other tracks and each time the result was the same. Illegal mix had a high end cut while the purchased file was left intact.

I mean I definitely see now that the frequency cut around 16khz is due to low quality files on soundclick. But I really doubt it would add any frequencies that weren't there. When you have a low bitrate/sample rate, the little tiny frequencies get lost in between, but no new frequencies are added. So I stand by that vybe doesn't scoop out his mids.

Still, for future reference (perhaps for creative effect), is there a way to EQ with such a fine line?

I haven't heard these tracks to make a hypothesis so I wouldn't know. Hell i dont even know these artists except for vybz if its vybz cartel youre speaking of. But as far as EQing in such a fine way I doubt. You'll always have stuff in a mix bleeding and resonating in certain ranges unless the sound effect has one single focal point.

Back