How Does Kanye West Get Paid?????

R

Ressurection

How Does Kanye West get paid, I mean I know he gets paid like any other producer but isnt he paying loads of money to the publishers of the original work he samples from.

Doesnt he have to pay money to the record label he gets the sample from?

I mean he is spending alot of money on sample clearances isnt he?
Or is it a way that he gets around paying all that money?

I mean, almost al of his material is sampled, isnt he looosing money in a way? Or the Record LAbel he is under?

Im guessing his price is outrageous just so that he can make some money of the beat .. feel me? I really dont know

good q?. subscribing. I'm guessing the sample clearance isn't that much or the record(s) make more than enough money to cover the cost.

oh, a producer doesn't have to worry about sample clearances. that's the record company's job. so kanye gets paid for beats regardless. plus, he executive produces, has his own label, songwrites, etc. he's aight

A few ways...

1) Kanye is the songwriter and producer. So technically he's not paying for beats.

2) If you notice, Kanye has his samples replayed. That license (to replay a song) costs ALOT less than using the actual master recording of the song. So it costs no more than it would cost to do a cover song.

3) Alot of the songs that he samples are owned by the label that he's signed to (Sony, I think). So everything is in house, so he can get alot lower rate.

So that's how he gets paid. He's the sole songwriter and producer (most times), that has his samples replayed, from
his parent company's catalog.

ph, ok < I was jist wondering, it popped up in my mind. Yeah. I guess the RL is willing to risk him getting clearances since he is so popular and in demand... Does anyone have an inclenation of how much he sells them for? I heard Dre sells his beats form 1 million dollars and Pharell a couple hundred thousand not sure how true this is though

I heard Dre sells his beats form 1 million dollars and Pharell a couple hundred thousand not sure how true this is though

Pharell's figure sound more realistic.

But Iwouldn't be surprised if Dre gets that much for a "beat" .

This is mostly custom production I think.

Artist: Hey I'm looking for such and such vibe/feel to the song.

Producer: OK, I'm on it.

How Does Kanye West get paid, I mean I know he gets paid like any other producer but isnt he paying loads of money to the publishers of the original work he samples from.

Doesnt he have to pay money to the record label he gets the sample from?

I mean he is spending alot of money on sample clearances isnt he?
Or is it a way that he gets around paying all that money?

I mean, almost al of his material is sampled, isnt he looosing money in a way? Or the Record LAbel he is under?

Are you super dumb or super new?

Have you ever heard of sample clearance. There's a company or several companies that clear/negotiate for you.

Alot of the ppl/groups Ye has sampled, thanked him because they were BROKE!

I know what you getting at...So stop it.

Sampling is HIP HOP dude! No classic HiP Hop album was filled with a bunch of techno-Hop beats you hear on Soundclick.

Good Lawd. Everybody always looking for justification for what they do. Whatever that is.

If you not making any money off your music...Kanye is the last thing that should be on your mind.

Last edited:
Kanye tours the WORLD. He shouldn't be worried about album royalties.

That why having multi-streams of income coming in is key.

As long as he or the artist make sure to clear the samples, everything is cool. All they have to do is split the publishing. In cases like Just Blaze's beat for Breath ( Fabolous) .... the song leaked and they loss the ability to negotiate a good deal with the sampled artist. In most cases sampled music is most welcomed by past artist. It's when it's used in an unauthorized manner that triggers head aches...

^ ahhh I heard about that **** with Just and Breath. I read some **** he was sayin, that they were like two days away from clearing that sample at a decent rate, and then he heard the song on the radio later that night and bugged out. He said the same thing happened with Cam's Oh Boy - **** leaked before they could clear the sample and he didnt really see any money off of it.

I'd imagine that Kanye gets paid NICELY. Is sample clearance a line item on the albums initial budget though? Like - when Kanye sits down with his people and drafts up a budget for his upcoming album - they already take into account how much theyre planning on spending on sample clearance? Im I right about this?

I don't think they would, if they were worried about what sample to use because of the budget it would hinder creativity.

Yeah I'm guessing at this pint in his career a lot of artist who need it are happy to be on his album just so they can see some revenue....

And with his creativity and wide range of music that he reaches out too... He has some leverage in the fact that Your Music isn't going to make him... So its either agree to something reasonable or be album cut on a mixtape somewhere.

And yeah I think the big thing is what troup was saying about sampling music within his own labels catalogue... Who you know probably goes a long way with what you can get. Because at the end of the day a clearence is just simply PERMISSION. And I'm sure you'll sooner part ways with a beat easier and cheaper when the artist is you May have some semblence of a connection with and somebody you know will make money rather an artist you don't know with know track record....

I'm sure sampling is the same way

i thought u could sample a certain amount of seconds. if he chops up each sample then plays it thru doesnt that get him past paying.

how long would it take to interpolate those sampels? back then they had some unique hard to find sounds

Are you super dumb or super new?

Have you ever heard of sample clearance. There's a company or several companies that clear/negotiate for you.

Alot of the ppl/groups Ye has sampled, thanked him because they were BROKE!

I know what you getting at...So stop it.

Sampling is HIP HOP dude! No classic HiP Hop album was filled with a bunch of techno-Hop beats you hear on Soundclick.

Good Lawd. Everybody always looking for justification for what they do. Whatever that is.

If you not making any money off your music...Kanye is the last thing that should be on your mind.

What the FUCK is this!? Guy asks a simple question, and all you do is personally insult the guy!? Get help, man.

Back