How do you guys know what to with samples and what to look for?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, recently I have been trying to switch over to sampling and I've been dedicating everyday to trying to create some dope track from samples but I have a hard time. First of all I am E-Digging and I feel like I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for in a song like drums or melodies or vocal areas so if someone could post some good ways for me to find samples by E-Digging and kind of give me an idea of what I should be looking for in songs it would be much appreciated. Next I would like to know how do u guys know what u want to do to a sample? Some people speed it up, or slow it down, or pitch up/down, put effects and filters on, chop it up, flip it, etc. I mean how do you guys just know what to do? I am just trying to get a better grasp on this concept so any feedback is much appreciated thanks FP.

There's no clear cut answer to this. It's all personal choice. You have to find what sample works for you and you also have to decide what you do with it.

Everyone has their own methods and there's really no best way to go about it...Take some nice slices from anything, play with it till you have something simple you like, and build it from there...Just like you'd do w/ composition based production.

It's not what you "know" it's what you like. You can sample whatever you want. You like that piano part? Cut that ish up. Those vocals sound smooth? Cut em up. Just find music you like and sample it.

Do what sounds good. Sample a lot of different genres and mess with stuff. Filters, pitch, chopping, looping, reversing, ADSR, etc...Learn the ins and outs. Look at the liner notes to your favorite sampled songs, see what artists/labels released it. There isn't an exact science.

Usually if I hear something I like, i'll take a sample and build a song around it. Like the "I don't want it" sample in my sig.

Back