How do Upcoming Music Producers make any worthwhile money?

varun213

I've been producing hip hop music for almost 9 years now and still cant figure out how can I make worthwhile money in this? how do the bigger producers do it?

Royalties are worthless unless you're a part of an album that sells a ton. Soundclick will force you to make a generic sound of beats and most wont pay more than 10$ for a beat.

I Know rappers have a more clear cut path if their music is succesful they can tour and sell merchandise and hustle that. But the music producers are left out and broke unless they DJ at shows I think. Because from all the rappers that have a name they will NEVER buy a beat from an upcoming producer. Everything is expected to be free lol

I've been producing hip hop music for almost 9 years now and still cant figure out how can I make worthwhile money in this? how do the bigger producers do it?

Royalties are worthless unless you're a part of an album that sells a ton. Soundclick will force you to make a generic sound of beats and most wont pay more than 10$ for a beat.

I Know rappers have a more clear cut path if their music is succesful they can tour and sell merchandise and hustle that. But the music producers are left out and broke unless they DJ at shows I think. Because from all the rappers that have a name they will NEVER buy a beat from an upcoming producer. Everything is expected to be free lol

This wasn't a concern when you were pirating music.
Not just saying "you" specifically, but its funny how the game got fucked up by the expectation of free music and the accessibility of technology as a right, but people do not fully understand the consequences of this until they want/need to profit off music.
Just be a hobbyist and wait for your golden ticket, because that's all there is.

Or diversify yourself, stop thinking small. RAP (smh) if that's your forte and what you set out to produce, then PUMPTHRUST was right on the money, but if you think OUTSIDE the box and realize all the things that utilize MUSIC, you could tap into that, get licensing from : movies, tv-shows, commercials, cartoons, video games.

I mean that's if you are not afraid to step away from the status quo.

1 dimension only leads you to the same path, every time, but look through a chrysalis and there are many roads.

My first recommendation to you is to change your mindset.

It's our time now to build our own lanes without having to depend on a so called "deal"!

Do you have a website where businesses can buy "store front" music?

Are you submitting material for reality TV show jingles?

Are you monetizing your channel's video views on YouTube?

I mean there are so many ways to build and generate income with music...

It's a matter of endless learning on the business side of it, marketing yourself properly and staying consistent while putting systems in place for you to be able to leverage your time accordingly.

I do this full-time. No songs on the radio. No awards. No big names. I made $27,000 the last 3 months. How? I've been recording and producing for 12 years. Two months ago I got a recording gig paying over $20,000. BUT IT WASN'T HIP HOP. I love hip hop, but I make most of my money elsewhere. A lot of small-time rappers are broke and flakey. How do I make my money? I am recording orchestras and choirs. I had done a few choir/orchestra recordings over the years (a couple for free) and I used my recordings as proof of what I could do and got an organization of over 500 people to trust me with their $20,000 recording.

I am professional, have a good website, and a long list of work. Most importantly, I have developed my skills over a decade. PEOPLE PAY FOR SKILLS. Professional athletes has rare skill sets and make millions. Big-time lawyers have rare skill sets and make millions. I have a pretty rare skill set and make thousands... lol. You know the "I got the skills to pay the bills" thing? It's real.

Develop your skill set, expand your horizons, adjust with the market, and don't quit.

It's no different than any business.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, I would be glad to share my experience and knowledge with you. I'm not where I wanna be, but I've learned a lot over the years and I'm doin aight.

I usually give away like 2 beats for free and then if someone wants the 3th then i ask like 75 for it. Sometimes they pay sometimes they dont. If you have not label or legal things its hard to make big money tho

I feel you mindset is key, I get up and down with that honestly. I have been making progress but not quick enough. Patience is key forreal. I am definitely gonna chase the TV placement opportunities and film scoring perhaps.

I still have no you tube channel or a sound clouds.

The one thing I've always been against is making a soundclick/website for my beats. I feel I have to make music that sounds like whats already hot to make money honestly. Correct me if i'm wrong but I try to make an original sound and usually most producers who are looking for Leased prices dont want anything too different than what their fav rapper is doing. lol

I agree with what your're saying. Appreciate it.

Back