how do u know what presets,plugins,effects,etc to get?

goofy96

I see people on youtube using 3rd party applications and i was wondering how to find them and know if u need the sounds for making beats?

3rd party plugins are plastered everywhere on the net, and a lot of them are labelled on their front panels.Some are harder to locate than others, and without a example there is no answer that would be of use to you unfortunately.

If you are using Fl Studio I know it has many vst's within it already prepared for use but if you are wanting more then just lookup "free vst's" or "free drumkits" and you will find a good amount of free software you can install into Fl Studio for music production. As for the more expansive vst like Nexus, Gladiator, and Kontakt they have website where you can buy their products.

Some things you may be interested in are 3rd party synthysizers which can be great.
Waves.com has the best 3rd party plugs in my opinion. They always go on sale.
Sonalksis is cool too. As well as many others.

Check KVRaudio.com for more.

just get the vst's they get and google banks and presets for that vst.. then listen to the demo of the sounds and buy the ones you like

Like how would u know if u need the VST besides reading the description. ex: dblue Glitch costs like $55 but u can create similar/same effects with Gross Beat. Also why buy another limiter when there's already a stock one?

Last edited:
just get the vst's they get and google banks and presets for that vst.. then listen to the demo of the sounds and buy the ones you like

best way to do it and if you are using FL Studio Google banks/presets for the VSTs already there

Harmor and Sytrus are great and there are tons of free presets out there ....you'll never to do a lot of trial and error as some free presets suck don't be scared to download a free preset pack that say EDM, trance,Dubstep
a lot of those presets can sound dope in a rap beat

Like how would u know if u need the VST besides reading the description. ex: dblue Glitch costs like $55 but u can create similar/same effects with Gross Beat. Also why buy another limiter when there's already a stock one?

Download the trial version(s) and see for yourself: that's how you know. Not all plugins sound the same even they're functionally identical.

You can get the older glitch for free. I use it all the time http://illformed.org/plugins/

Different limiters (and compressors) have a different sound to them. Some are quite transparent, some punchier than others and some will color your sound a bit the harder you push them. I've been using the fabfilter limiter lately and I love it. But as krushing stated, trial your plugins before you decide to buy them and you will definitely be much happier than trying to buy them first without knowing what kind of sound they have.

Back