How do I start out as a dj?

Teen Fury

I have no knowledge of dj'ing so I'm a noob. What are the basics and what gear do I need as beginning dj? Thanx in advance!

Well you need decks and a mixer to start, obviously. Call me old school, but I would definitely look at getting a pair of Technics 1200s. You can probably find some used ones just to get started for a reasonable price. Mixers range in price but a decent beginner mixer shouldn't be more than a bill.

Then obviously you need vinyl. Save the digital stuff until you are comfortable with vinyl. A lot depends on the style you wish to mix. If you are gonna mix house, trance, electronic stuff, your focus is gonna be primarily on beatmatching and programming your sets.

If you're more into hip hop, drum n bass, turntablism, then... well, you got your work cut out for you. Start by looking at other DJs routines, you can find some decent stuff out on youtube.

It's a long road to getting anywhere with it, but it sure as hell is a fun and rewarding hobby even if you don't become the next big thing.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of dj'ing so I'm a noob. What are the basics and what gear do I need as beginning dj? Thanx in advance!

Do you have a knowledge of what kind of music you want to play? That's the first thing that needs to be answered.

Do you have a knowledge of what kind of music you want to play? That's the first thing that needs to be answered.
Yes, really I want to play everything. In other words mainly hip hop, but also r&b, pop, electro, old school, funk, & disco. I want to mix everything together..

Yes, really I want to play everything. In other words mainly hip hop, but also r&b, pop, electro, old school, funk, & disco. I want to mix everything together..

I would recommend turntables (Technics 1200) and a two channel battle mixer (Rane ttm-56/57). You'll need to learn some basic scratches to go through the genres. You'll want a program like Serato or Traktor.

Ok, now assuming that I got everything you just said for a bargain about how much would that run me roughly?

Ok, now assuming that I got everything you just said for a bargain about how much would that run me roughly?

Two 1200's = $800 more or less depending on the quality and where you get them.

Serratto = $500

Tracktor Scratch = $300

take your pick

And a Mixer

a range from $50 POS at a pawn shop to $800+

The Rane TTM-56 is $799 new, I got one for $450 on Ebay.
The Rane TTM-57 is $1499 new but includes Serratto.

You can get a starter set of Direct drive Tables for less than the 1200's but if your serious I would get the 1200's. I've had mine 9 years and not even one bit of maintenance on them has been required.

Best of luck
Jester

Two 1200's = $800 more or less depending on the quality and where you get them.

Serratto = $500

Tracktor Scratch = $300

take your pick

And a Mixer

a range from $50 POS at a pawn shop to $800+

The Rane TTM-56 is $799 new, I got one for $450 on Ebay.
The Rane TTM-57 is $1499 new but includes Serratto.

You can get a starter set of Direct drive Tables for less than the 1200's but if your serious I would get the 1200's. I've had mine 9 years and not even one bit of maintenance on them has been required.

Best of luck
Jester

Appreciate it fam. Now what is this 'virtual dj' thing I keep hearing about?

I've yet to use it. I think as far as these things go I have used Seratto and Tracktor and I personally prefer tracktor. It has the best latency as far as control goes. I've heard good things about the Virtual Dj just never used it.

Also, I hope I don't sound dumb but if u use vinyl don't you have to go out and actually buy records? And do Traktor and Serato come with turntables?

Last edited:
Also, I hope I don't sound dumb but if u use vinyl don't you have to go out and actually buy records? And do Traktor and Serato come with turntables?

Are you serious? Yes you have to buy records! You can't download them from ******** and they magically appear in your room. Is it that hard to google Serato or Traktor and see what it comes with? What's the thought process in asking a question like that?Your right in front of the computer. Use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you serious? Yes you have to buy records! You can't download them from ******** and they magically appear in your room. Is it that hard to google Serato or Traktor and see what it comes with? What's the thought process in asking a question like that?Your right in front of the computer. Use it.
Actually I'm on my phone and it's slow as hell! I don't know **** about dj'ing so how the hell am I going to play multiple new song
s if I have vinyl turntables???

I don't know **** about dj'ing so how the hell am I going to play multiple new songs if I have vinyl turntables???

If you plan to play records, you would logically buy records of the songs you want to play. To go around that, you would need a program like Serato or Traktor, with some sort of laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:

No they do not. You have to have your own tables which is why I gave ya the list before. Basically its this if your going to DJ you have to know what you want to DJ. if your just going to mix music and go no further then get Virtual DJ and a Midi control for your PC or Laptop. If you want to be the real deal and go in it then get some Decks and a DVS system, or or or just get a starter CD dj set up <<Shrugs>> Its all about what you wanna do with it. I personally use Decks with Vinyl and a DVS system I have the best of both worlds, I still purchase vinyl because it rocks and I also get MP3's to help with my CDs. SO its up to you what you really wanna do ;)

Good luck
Jester

Last edited:
No they do not. You have to have your own tables which is why I gave ya the list before. Basically its this if your going to DJ you have to know what you want to DJ. if your just going to mix music and go no further then get Virtual DJ and a Midi control for your PC or Laptop. If you want to be the real deal and go in it then get some Decks and a DVS system, or or or just get a starter CD dj set up <<Shrugs>> Its all about what you wanna do with it. I personally use Decks with Vinyl and a DVS system I have the best of both worlds, I still purchase vinyl because it rocks and I also get MP3's to help with my CDs. SO its up to you what you really wanna do ;)

Good luck
Jester
I think I just want to go digital because I don't want to buy records. I want to use the songs that I have and having to find records is just too much. What is the advantage to vinyl?

What is the advantage to vinyl?

Advantages
- Sound Quality
- You actually own something physical and not a file that only lives in a digital realm
- Records usually come with main mix, instrumental,, acapellas, and sometimes some dope B-side remixes.

Disadvantages
- Cost money
- Can be hard to find
- They're heavy

I think it would just be so much easier to have everything at ur disposal and not have to go around searching for records.

I think it would just be so much easier to have everything at ur disposal and not have to go around searching for records.

It is. But when everyone has the same music, it's the person who plays it a different more interesting manner, that gets noticed. It's a trade off, it just depends on what you want to trade.

Back