how do I properly level and louder a mix?

jaggy89trillion

Hi Guys,

In need of some mixing advice, I am in desperate advice of how to properly level your mix when making beats i.e when would you add a compressor or how much volume db should the mix be at before limiters or final compressors?.

Also when I do add a limiter on the master channel and boost the gain. The louder I go, the more the sounds start to sort of muddy and come apart rather than gel together. Of course I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the mixing but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. For example If I'm mixing the low end wrong, causing the whole mix to muddy or If it's something else.

Using FL11, my current process is mix my melodies by cutting unwanted low end and high end and then cutting/boosting if needs be then adding a slight touch of waves S1 imager to certain melodies to widen them. With my drums then, I again cut the unwanted lows and highs and again boost/cut where needed. On my kicks which are normally quite punchy before any treatment, I tend to boost a tiny bit around the 90-130hz area and then sidechain the 808/bass. I do cut low end from my kick too at about 50hz on average.

(Each sound is done in solo and at full volume on the dedicated channel, and the 808/bass is always put in mono. I also don't use any compressors on these sounds, I literally just use EQ on the kick/808 then EQ, Reverb, S1 Imager and other effects on all the other sounds where and when I need them.)

After I have done this, I pull every sound down to 0db and then loop the part of the beat with everything playing. I then begin to gradually pull up each sound whilst my interface volume knob is on medium'ish volume. I try to make the overall thing come to about minus 8-10db, once this is done I then go to my master channel, load up Fabfilter Pro L and just pull the gain up till it sounds loud basically.

However my mix doesn't sound where I want it to sound, the kick will have a weak punch to it and the 808 will sound lost. of course reading this I know some of you guys will be like wtf is he doing lol, but any advice you could give me will be much appreciated!. The purpose of my beats is post them online like youtube, soundclick etc and get sales from leases etc. People say that If you are just selling beats then the mix should be rough, however artists these days are clued up on what a good mix should sound like so now we have to mix professionally whereas back in the day, you could get away with a amateur mix online.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys,
In need of some mixing advice, I am in desperate advice of how to properly level your mix when making beats i.e when would you add a compressor or how much volume db should the mix be at before limiters or final compressors?.

This depends on what type of sound and sound image you want to achieve. Generally speaking, in modern genres a good starting point before limiters/final compressors is a true peak of -1 dB on the MID component and -7 dB on the SIDE component.

Also when I do add a limiter on the master channel and boost the gain. The louder I go, the more the sounds start to sort of muddy and come apart rather than gel together. Of course I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the mixing but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. For example If I'm mixing the low end wrong, causing the whole mix to muddy or If it's something else.

No it's because of signal degradation and it is caused by the digital processes. You can get rid of this issue by using hardware.

Using FL11, my current process is mix my melodies by cutting unwanted low end and high end and then cutting/boosting if needs be then adding a slight touch of waves S1 imager to certain melodies to widen them. With my drums then, I again cut the unwanted lows and highs and again boost/cut where needed. On my kicks which are normally quite punchy before any treatment, I tend to boost a tiny bit around the 90-130hz area and then sidechain the 808/bass. I do cut low end from my kick too at about 50hz on average.

Do this with hardware.

(Each sound is done in solo and at full volume on the dedicated channel, and the 808/bass is always put in mono. I also don't use any compressors on these sounds, I literally just use EQ on the kick/808 then EQ, Reverb, S1 Imager and other effects on all the other sounds where and when I need them.)

Do this with hardware, use delays also.

After I have done this, I pull every sound down to 0db and then loop the part of the beat with everything playing. I then begin to gradually pull up each sound whilst my interface volume knob is on medium'ish volume. I try to make the overall thing come to about minus 8-10db, once this is done I then go to my master channel, load up Fabfilter Pro L and just pull the gain up till it sounds loud basically.

You have to have the peak levels right first across the frequency range, both on the MID and the SIDE components, because else you will not tune in the right amount of broad stroke compression. (also read the monitoring comment below)

However my mix doesn't sound where I want it to sound, the kick will have a weak punch to it and the 808 will sound lost. of course reading this I know some of you guys will be like wtf is he doing lol, but any advice you could give me will be much appreciated!. The purpose of my beats is post them online like youtube, soundclick etc and get sales from leases etc. People say that If you are just selling beats then the mix should be rough, however artists these days are clued up on what a good mix should sound like so now we have to mix professionally whereas back in the day, you could get away with a amateur mix online.

The punch and bass comes from the whole frequency range. Use good monitoring that do not compress too much at the gain sweet spot. Spend enough time with this critical step, you won't believe how great sound you get when you do this step well. Pay attention to the stereo image when you do this.

Thanks in advance!

Hey np, here to help.

Last edited:
Can you upload a mix you like, with about 3 dB of headroom? If you allow us do download that mix, we can try to master it and go on from there.

Back