How do I get good soundfiles?

shono

I am new to producing, if you can even call it that. I literally just begun and got the fl studio demo, etc. One thing I am utmost unfamiliar is with how do I go about getting good soundtextures? I am certain I won't be getting them from the base (the sounds fl studio comes with) sounds? I tried to make melodies with basic piano notes, and beats etc, but it sounded extremely clunky. The types of sounds I am comparing to are such like ones tiesto used to make elements of life, with the base melody. <Did he get that from having a good soundbank, or is it more because of how he sequenced/phrased the notes?

So, if it is largely due to the soundbank, do I need to download a good VST (i'm not entirely sure if i got the name right or not), and if so what is one that is good, one that is widely used/regarded of, maybe used by pros etc?

Thank you very very very very much, I love music and would appreciate help EXTREMELY!
thanks!

:cheers::hello::cool:

Last edited:
I don’t know the specifics of Tiesto’s sound but good sounds will generally come from either making them or buying them. There is good free stuff of course but you’ll have to dig for it.

Making them comes by sampling, recording, synthesising or processing, or a combination of which. Buying them will come by way of an instrument that has good sounds built in (such as a VST instrument), or sample packs that you then play through a sampler or other playback device.

Quality music is often due to how it’s composed and mixed as well as to the initial sounds that were used.

Go window shopping at the different sounds that are out there, there are loads that are excellent. Nearly all will have demos of the sound. Remember to listen on the best playback device you have so your judgement can be more informed.

glhf

I don’t know the specifics of Tiesto’s sound but good sounds will generally come from either making them or buying them. There is good free stuff of course but you’ll have to dig for it.

Making them comes by sampling, recording, synthesising or processing, or a combination of which. Buying them will come by way of an instrument that has good sounds built in (such as a VST instrument), or sample packs that you then play through a sampler or other playback device.

Quality music is often due to how it’s composed and mixed as well as to the initial sounds that were used.

Go window shopping at the different sounds that are out there, there are loads that are excellent. Nearly all will have demos of the sound. Remember to listen on the best playback device you have so your judgement can be more informed.

glhf

Thanks for the response! Sadly i am on my phone so i will have to keep this short, but do you have any recommendations of good vst plugins/ sampler programs? I am currently working with nexus, which i heard is great, but even with it I feel my sound is not great, maybe it is because I am not sampling/processing the notes well yet? Thanks again

If you've just began yes, it's very likely you're not processing stuff correctly to achieve the result you're looking for. I've heard good things about nexus but i don't use it. I don't really have recommendations, no, apart from go window shopping. I particularly like sample packs personally, whether bought or made.

I see, that makes sense. I am sorry for all of the questions, but if you dont mind me asking, where can i go window shopping, and where do you get sample packs. Also, any notable vst programs that you use? Thankyou sir

pretty much select options down the right side and enjoy note you can get free any plugin type as well as daws from your search results

whether they are particularly good is another matter that heavily depends on personal opinion, taste and task you use the sw for.....

Do note though that even if you had every sample library and plugin in the world, your stuff won't magically turn pro until you know what to do with them. The plugins that come with FL are well capable of getting professional results with, and many a hit has been produced with Nexus - but if the mix sucks, even the best sounds will sound clunky. I wouldn't really recommend getting more sounds at this point, but rather honing your skills with what you have (which, as said, is plenty).

Do note though that even if you had every sample library and plugin in the world, your stuff won't magically turn pro until you know what to do with them. The plugins that come with FL are well capable of getting professional results with, and many a hit has been produced with Nexus - but if the mix sucks, even the best sounds will sound clunky. I wouldn't really recommend getting more sounds at this point, but rather honing your skills with what you have (which, as said, is plenty).

Hey! hyvää päivää m8!

I really like that comment, I always supported the belief that skills honed are superior over equipment. I will work on the actual program/functions of fl studio rather than looking for more sounds for now. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do? I don't yet understand how to work the mixer, and add phasers etc, is that a good thing to work on as to how to perfect/work with the sound i want?

thanks again man

Back