How do be creative while making melodies ?

parampramit

hey guyz !!

I've heard people saying that they create melodies in mind and then plot it on the DAW. Whenever I hear this I am like wtf !! why the hell I can't do it !! why is it that I listen to my fav songs the whole day and still cannot create a melody which is sick.Is it because I don't knw how to play a piano...whenever I try to make a melody I end up making a horror type of melody. I spend day and night practicing but it is never successful... I would appreciate you guys if you can help me with this and giving me some tips on how to create a good melody ( for EDM )

Cheers :)

Playing an instrument certainly helps, but really...if you can hum it, you can play it. Its not that hard. There are only 12 pitches in modern music. I find it easier to come up with melodies if I have a chord progression, but that's me. To practice, record yourself humming two notes at random and play 'em on your keyboard. Try a simple melody like Mary Had A Little Lamb or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star---find a recording of it on Youtube, slow it down, and take it note by note. Once you find the first note, the rest are easy. With enough practice, writing and expressing melodies by ear will come easy.

Playing an instrument certainly helps, but really...if you can hum it, you can play it. Its not that hard. There are only 12 pitches in modern music. I find it easier to come up with melodies if I have a chord progression, but that's me. To practice, record yourself humming two notes at random and play 'em on your keyboard. Try a simple melody like Mary Had A Little Lamb or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star---find a recording of it on Youtube, slow it down, and take it note by note. Once you find the first note, the rest are easy. With enough practice, writing and expressing melodies by ear will come easy.
This is good advice, but I think that perhaps you're over-simplifying it a bit. What you have suggested will certainly work, but only after A Whole Lot Of Practice​!

This is good advice, but I think that perhaps you're over-simplifying it a bit. What you have suggested will certainly work, but only after A Whole Lot Of Practice​!

A whole lot of practice is the point. It seems like I'm oversimplifying it because, in reality, its that simple! Like I said before, if you can sing it-you can play it. Transcribing melodies isn't something you're just gonna master in a couple days. The only way to get better (faster) at doing it is to do alot of it. You know of a faster/easier way to transfer melodies from head to instrument?
For the OP:
Another good creative exercise for making melody lines is taking a song you already know and like and try singing along to it, I often do this to find lines to use for improv. I like to isolate a section of a tune, practice singing a few simple lines to it and once I got it in my head, play it back on my instrument. Do this enough, and you'll be able to create melodies almost as easy as singing.

Last edited:
A whole lot of practice is the point. It seems like I'm oversimplifying it because, in reality, its that simple! Like I said before, if you can sing it-you can play it. You learn this day one in college level jazz improv and music theory. Transcribing melodies isn't something you're just gonna master in a couple days. The only way to get better (faster) at doing it is to do alot of it. You know of a faster/easier way to transfer melodies from head to instrument?
I knew what you meant, but as a former guitar teacher I know that the average person doesn't get the part about Practice. :cool:

why not just learn the middle octave by ear?reading music notes will help you too, it helps keeps certain note sequences from being forgotten also.
you can learn 49-88 keys by ear in about 4 hours.i havent learned the way to do them fast though that would most likely take years.

Back