How come EDM music progreses and not hiphop?

gescajadillo

It seems like dance music is getting big and better, producers are putting the effort to get better and better, but for hip hop producers, how come there is no progression? why does there have to be hip hop beat makers will only a 2-3 year lifespan and if they put anything out after its nothing special. How long would Mike Will and DJ Mustard's run last doing the same thing for every record? Every seems to copy and not have any new ideas. Even everybody is using the young chop snare in every trap song. What are your thoughts. Are hip hop producers lazy, uninspired, or is it just about the money?

Last edited:
Times are changing, the music business has changed. The money is not there like it used to be...Hip Hop producers have to cater to the youngins....who want simple one dimensional beats I guess.

your same arguments could be made about dance music as well. Remember Deadmau5? Benny Benassi? Even Skrillex is starting to fade. Every genre has it's time slot for the who's hot producers.

Hell pointing out that We've changed over from Mike Will being popular to Mustard being popular proves that hip hop progresses. The two sound nothing alike

your same arguments could be made about dance music as well. Remember Deadmau5? Benny Benassi? Even Skrillex is starting to fade. Every genre has it's time slot for the who's hot producers.

Hell pointing out that We've changed over from Mike Will being popular to Mustard being popular proves that hip hop progresses. The two sound nothing alike

Skrillex and Deadmau5 already put out albums and singles this year and they are still relevant in the music world, maybe unnoticed in the hip hop world. No idea where Benassi is. I am saying as a hip hop producer only a few can progress and keep going, Pharrell is a good example after all these years. He can change his style up from Neptunes Era till now. Can DJ Mustard do the same?

I am saying as a hip hop producer only a few can progress and keep going, Pharrell is a good example after all these years. He can change his style up from Neptunes Era till now. Can DJ Mustard do the same?

No idea, still too early in his career to know the answer. This is why he is a producer and not a "super producer" the difference is time and longevity ;)

It seems like dance music is getting big and better, producers are putting the effort to get better and better, but for hip hop producers, how come there is no progression? why does there have to be hip hop beat makers will only a 2-3 year lifespan and if they put anything out after its nothing special. How long would Mike Will and DJ Mustard's run last doing the same thing for every record? Every seems to copy and not have any new ideas. Even everybody is using the young chop snare in every trap song. What are your thoughts. Are hip hop producers lazy, uninspired, or is it just about the money?

Listen to EVERY word out of Banner''s mouth!

I think because hip-hop songs generally need rappers on em. when a rapper hears one of your beats on another artists track, they (artist & label) might ask you to make something similar i.e. recycle that beat...In other words, they may not appreciate your sound/style for what is. EDM artists have more freedom in general.

I don't tend to think any genre fades but rather other genres take the limelight of the entire music industry. Right now it just so happens to be EDM and Kpop on a global scale. Rewind back to the 90s, hip-hop had maybe the most growth of any other genre at the time. 80s and pop music, etc.

Skrillex and Deadmau5 already put out albums and singles this year and they are still relevant in the music world, maybe unnoticed in the hip hop world. No idea where Benassi is. I am saying as a hip hop producer only a few can progress and keep going, Pharrell is a good example after all these years. He can change his style up from Neptunes Era till now. Can DJ Mustard do the same?

Deadmau5 hasn't put out shit recently and Skrillex has been pretty quiet since bangarang. What I'm saying is the only difference between an edm producer and a hip hop producer is that the edm producer doubles as the artist. Their runs of popularity seem to be about the same.

Hip-Hop is going backwards i think. Hip-Hop Production had its peak around 2000 and than it went backwards or something.
I think the beats of the late 90's are the best.

Last edited:
EDM producers follow trends and model other EDM producers just the same as Hip Hop Producers do. Make no mistake about that.

Maybe your taste in music is changing?

:hello:

If you guys don't think hip-hop is progressing, you're not listening to the right stuff! I agree that popular radio friendly hip hop is super stale and recyclable but there's a lot of artists out there that have decent followings that are putting out fresh music.

To the OP Hip Hop producers are lazy and uninspired and it is just about the money because if tutorials about how to make beats like who the "it" producer of the moment is didn't exist in today's era I doubt heads would wanna make music. I'll say with no shame that much of what I like is from the 90s but I also dig a select few current non-trap producers and artists and it is not about nostalgia for me but it is because people didn't have anything easy about the music making process from start to finish.

Agreed, he's probably my favorite producer of all time because of his versatility. Went from space-like sounding beats in the early 2000s to producing for.... Ed Sheeran? Either way, Pharrell is good shit.

Deadmau5 hasn't put out shit recently and Skrillex has been pretty quiet since bangarang. What I'm saying is the only difference between an edm producer and a hip hop producer is that the edm producer doubles as the artist. Their runs of popularity seem to be about the same.

Skrillex put out an album just recently but I haven't heard any of it on the radio at all. Maybe dubstep's (or at least Americanized brostep's or what not) time in the sun has come and passed?

As for Deadmau5, I think he just released a new album but I haven't checked it out yet. Seems like he's getting a little cynical about the whole EDM scene though.

As for Deadmau5, I think he just released a new album but I haven't checked it out yet. Seems like he's getting a little cynical about the whole EDM scene though.

I have some friends who are big into Deadmau5 and the new album has really split them in regards to whether they like it or not. I can't say I have taken the time to listen to it (not my thing) but it seems to be a far departure from his usual style.

*edit*
As to that article he says

"Disco had a longer run than EDM has, to be honest about it, and that died in a ****ing hurry,"

and he is showing his own ignorance of EDM since it has been a progressive genre since the early 90's rave culture, stems directly from it and shares it's fans with it. This easily puts EDM (regardless of the actual label) at easily 23 years in existence. Disco only had about a 10 year run at best not counting "New Disco" or "Disco Revival" that has been sporadic at best and only see's slight daylight or relevance.

Last edited:
"EDM" has become sterile repetitive trash.

What was once music that was soulful and funky (Detroit Techno, Chicago House, NYC Garage, Classic Jungle/DnB, Electro/Technobass) has been stripped of it's essence, distilled, and pushed into the mainstream.

... Just like Hip Hop.

Even Dubstep had it's essence stripped from it and watered down for the masses. The people that create this dumbed down music are pushed by labels and made into "superstars DJ's", just like rappers that make dumbed down music are pushed out there.

EDM isn't progressing. If anything, EDM has gone down the same path as Hip Hop.

Back