Hit a wall

RonTheDon

Been producing about 3 months and can't progress at all. I can make good melodies and bars that are really basic that last anywhere from 5-20 seconds but I dont know how to progress my music. Like I just get super bored of a beat/melody really quick even if it sound good I just lose direction. Like I can copy and paste the melody and make it a minute long, then add a kick and snares but it just doesnt sound "professional". I have been meaning to mimic songs I like and see the drum patterns that they use but am having trouble finding the sounds they use.

Does a lot of it come down to music theory, mixing, and mastering?

Last edited:
Been producing about 3 months and can't progress at all. I can make good melodies and bars that are really basic that last anywhere from 5-20 seconds but I dont know how to progress my music. Like I just get super bored of a beat/melody really quick even if it sound good I just lose direction. Like I can copy and paste the melody and make it a minute long, then add a kick and snares but it just doesnt sound "professional". I have been meaning to mimic songs I like and see the drum patterns that they use but am having trouble finding the sounds they use.

Does a lot of it come down to music theory, mixing, and mastering?

Keep practicing, we've all been there.

Does it come down to music theory, mixing and mastering... no. It comes down to expanding yourself to more music and practice.

Some people understand music theory and read music very well, yet they can create good material

Some mix and master very well, suck at putting music together

Remaking music, but can't find their sounds

Start editing what you currently have.

EQ and layering will solve most of these issues, given you have decent source material to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about replicating their sound as much as I would concentrate on the arrangement.

Last edited:
it seems like you turned an intro into an entire song. You said your having problems progressing your songs? There are a million ways you can do this. But one idea i had just while listening through once was, fade out the pad sounding deal you have going on there then fade into a melody..boom..its as simple as that. I was picturing it slowly fading off then for a short time having just a single note melody play completely by itself until it feels resolved, then bring everything back in plus lots of layering and a rhythm section to along with your melody you introduced after the fadeout. Also your kicks don't progress at all they start slow and stay slow as hell. Also it doesn't seem like you did anything to them, it sounds like its a dry sample straight from the clip library. You've only been doing it three months man. study some music theory and all that. Ive been doing it roughly a year and 98% of that has been reading. Lots of people say just get into right it, its not a race. Practice is good but you have to know what your practicing. You can never stop learning on this topic. Ever. Im JUST starting to get into the more hands on stuff, but I'm comfortable going into it. I still research every single night for more stuff too. You'd be surprised how much shit you just randomly stumble across that you never even would have thought to be relevant. Then once you are aware of it you have that foundation to go and learn more about it. You aren't gonna make these little discoveries staring at your DAW all day. By no means am I saying not to practice hands on. Thats crazy important too..But my approach at it has always been learning first through sources rather than learning through trial and error. Both have their ups and downs. But the main point is you've only been doing it for 3 months. Just keep reading and doing as much as possible. And don't expect to just be able to play around with your DAW and all of a sudden be able to make satisfying music. There is a huge learning curve to all of this. People don't realize that its ONLY the accessibility to all the software and everything these days that has made 'bedroom' producing easier for the masses..but that doesn't mean the approach to learning how to write music and everything has changed. You still have to sit through all the boring music theory lessons that everyone has to. You'll never get anywhere referring to chord charts and stuff your whole life. Assuming you want to get somewhere, stop thinking like everyone else and taking shortcuts(not saying you are or assuming) just because technology has made it easier too. Not everyone can roll the dice and win like Martin Garrix haha. Take the proven method of learning everything, the rest is just up to if you have the 'tangibles' to do it or not. I did not plan on this being this long.

Last edited:
Okay I appreciate the feedback. That song probably wasn't the best one to show you since it was literally the first song I ever made..... I was meaning to get you to check out the rest of my soundcloud as well to be honest. Like: https://soundcloud.com/ronthedon702/acoustic1

I need to add something to this beat but I have no idea what I'm missing.

The problem I have with reading is I have no idea where to start. I dont know any music terminology and what it all means so when I try to do research I get stuck looking up very general information but have no idea how to get into more specific stuff and how-to stuff that would actually help me out.

Last edited:
Maybe have a short pause, or try to find an inspiration in something.. does listening to music give you inspiration? When i hear something really cool it influences the next track i try to make

It's not creativity I' having trouble with. It's getting past the first 5-20 seconds of something that sounds good and turning it into a full length song that switches up every so often and sounds professional. I'm not expecting to turn into a pro over night but I just dont know what I should be studying/reading

sounds newbish... it's not going to come just cause you been practicing for a few days.. you'll be better once summer ends.. that's prolly when you'll see some actual growth

it seems like you turned an intro into an entire song. You said your having problems progressing your songs? There are a million ways you can do this. But one idea i had just while listening through once was, fade out the pad sounding deal you have going on there then fade into a melody..boom..its as simple as that. I was picturing it slowly fading off then for a short time having just a single note melody play completely by itself until it feels resolved, then bring everything back in plus lots of layering and a rhythm section to along with your melody you introduced after the fadeout. Also your kicks don't progress at all they start slow and stay slow as hell. Also it doesn't seem like you did anything to them, it sounds like its a dry sample straight from the clip library. You've only been doing it three months man. study some music theory and all that. Ive been doing it roughly a year and 98% of that has been reading. Lots of people say just get into right it, its not a race. Practice is good but you have to know what your practicing. You can never stop learning on this topic. Ever. Im JUST starting to get into the more hands on stuff, but I'm comfortable going into it. I still research every single night for more stuff too. You'd be surprised how much shit you just randomly stumble across that you never even would have thought to be relevant. Then once you are aware of it you have that foundation to go and learn more about it. You aren't gonna make these little discoveries staring at your DAW all day. By no means am I saying not to practice hands on. Thats crazy important too..But my approach at it has always been learning first through sources rather than learning through trial and error. Both have their ups and downs. But the main point is you've only been doing it for 3 months. Just keep reading and doing as much as possible. And don't expect to just be able to play around with your DAW and all of a sudden be able to make satisfying music. There is a huge learning curve to all of this. People don't realize that its ONLY the accessibility to all the software and everything these days that has made 'bedroom' producing easier for the masses..but that doesn't mean the approach to learning how to write music and everything has changed. You still have to sit through all the boring music theory lessons that everyone has to. You'll never get anywhere referring to chord charts and stuff your whole life. Assuming you want to get somewhere, stop thinking like everyone else and taking shortcuts(not saying you are or assuming) just because technology has made it easier too. Not everyone can roll the dice and win like Martin Garrix haha. Take the proven method of learning everything, the rest is just up to if you have the 'tangibles' to do it or not. I did not plan on this being this long.

Basically everything he said..couldn't say it better, not even a little.

on the p.s@Yumid

I see your posts often and you've been really positive and giving some good detailed information, just wanted to say good work.

Back