Hiphop needs to be more club to survive in the music market

gescajadillo

I remember 2000s the whole industry was concurred by all club Lil Jon and Neptune beats. Now everything is all slow tempo nostalgic hipster beats and street trap. I don't see the rise of edm leaving anywhere but I do think in general, there isn't enough danceable hip hop beats. Maybe DJ Mustard is all I can think of now. Even back then you can vibe to old school hip hop club beats. Also I don't know a lot of hip hop DJ's that are well known and active at the moment. The market isn't as big as EDM house. I know EDM trap might not last long but there will be hip hop beats overall. Shit I can still vibe to Drop It Like Its Hot and never get tired of it. What do you think?

Last edited:
No it doesnt. Dudes is eating off of hip hop and dont have/ never had one record in the club.

So no. Tech n9ne aint worried bout havin his record spun in nobody club...and he tourin, eatin.

"Eatin" is the questionable reference here though. Not saying I'm blaming the decline in sales on the "less club hits" debate presented...but music money in general is kinda dead these days. I think anyone doing music in 2014 of any genre should just have fun making exactly what they love to make and cross their fingers others are attracted to the final product. There's no such thing as "creating a market" anymore. People just f**k with the music they f**k with to keep it all in lamens terms.

Have fun, make good music, hope people embrace it. Shouts to Tech and the Regime fam as always tho.

"Eatin" is the questionable reference here though. Not saying I'm blaming the decline in sales on the "less club hits" debate presented...but music money in general is kinda dead these days. I think anyone doing music in 2014 of any genre should just have fun making exactly what they love to make and cross their fingers others are attracted to the final product. There's no such thing as "creating a market" anymore. People just f**k with the music they f**k with to keep it all in lamens terms.

Have fun, make good music, hope people embrace it. Shouts to Tech and the Regime fam as always tho.

I don't think "Eatin" is questionable. Yes you should enjoy making the music. I totally agree and to add to that you shouldn't have to try to make some shit that's not you and STILL be able to be successful. That was my point. And Tech was my example, he's not chasing no club hit and he's surviving in the music market. The op says if hip hop is to survive in the the music market it should be more clubby...Why should I believe that when somebody like Tech is doing his thing and handling his business?

Like I have said a few times on here before, a lot of y'all hip hop producers need to start thinking about marketing yourselves to the public instead of relegating yourselves to support roles, because the DIY branding traditions common to Bass Music as well as EDM and Electronica is where it's at.....for example Lil Jon didn't take a back seat as a producer he promoted himself as the main event supported by featured artists.....this is common with EDM and Electronica too where big name artists feature under the producers name, for example 100th Window isn't sold as a Sinead O'Conner album it's a Massive Attack album, ya dig?

I don't think "Eatin" is questionable. Yes you should enjoy making the music. I totally agree and to add to that you shouldn't have to try to make some shit that's not you and STILL be able to be successful. That was my point. And Tech was my example, he's not chasing no club hit and he's surviving in the music market. The op says if hip hop is to survive in the the music market it should be more clubby...Why should I believe that when somebody like Tech is doing his thing and handling his business?

What I was saying(sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with your entire post)is that Tech wasn't a mastermind or genius with some drawn out plan knowing the results because of charts or spreadsheets, he was a guy who made music he liked and found a lane. It took him years of doing music before finding his audience on a level where most artists fade away from. He had label situation after label situation, flopped albums, indie albums features that were supposed to make his career that didn't, and somewhere within all that, made it big in a demographic he didn't realize f**ked with him until late in the game. Nelly's first debut on a commercial scale was a club hit and he was INSTANTLY rich.

No 2 stories are the same. Once upon a time money was so easy in music that the idiot suits in the offices could "invent" the next music star. Rules have changed now, and when the most many artists who "make it" these days get is 1 big song before dwindling away, more than ever you should focus on making what you feel is quality music.

Whether that's club, street, whatever. But you can't relate Tech to "hip hop" when he's bumping behind rock music. As dope of an MC as he is, I take nothing from him, but, if anything, Tech lets us know that if you make rap that plays well with rock music you'll be okay...that's just as "true" as the OP's statement. Worked for B.o.B. with airplanes also, but that makes it no more of a "look at this guy" template than club hits.

Any type of music has the ability to ascend or flop unpredictably more than ever these days. So you should stick to what you're great at doing and hope for the best. That's all I was saying, just feel Tech is no more of an example of a guy doing something right than some rapper successful at club music right now. WTF does Aloe Blacc do? Cause he's huge right now, oh, he does him. Same for Bruno Mars. Lil Jon's doing club music...but wait, it sounds like it coulda gone on one of his albums from a decade ago. Same for Juicy J. Drake? No clue what that is...Emo-rap? But it works for him.

Sorry for the essay trying to explain, just wanted to make sure I got my point across. To say "look at Tech N9ne" is no better than referencing 20 guys with recent club hits for the opposing argument. Once upon a time guys like Tech and Yuk should have been looked at and we may not have arrived at this industry of guys waiting around for a suit to cut them a check. But in 2014, no one's success is guaranteed more than another 15 minutes. Consumers have short attention spans these days.

Last edited:
bro you obviously dont know the music game... every rapper is doing a club record... even someone thought provoking as kendrick lamar (drank) .. learn the music game before you post

Hip Hop needs to be more HIP HOP, and less pop, EDM, R&B, and everything else.

Raw, aggressive beats, dope lyricism, and dope hooks. Not to mention thought provoking content.

This all depends on the artist. Tek can eat without that club hits. YG can't. It's all about who you're marketing too. But for the most part if you're marketing to the younger crowd. You may need a lil bit more club ready music. If you trying to hit the 30's and ups. Don't worry about it.

words of wisdom right there

I'd rather see hiphop die than see it mutate into an abomination (wich it already kinda have)
Really dont understand what people see in this club music, i mean i know people got their own taste and shit, but it's like everyday i get amazed at how people can produce so horrible music and then i get even more amazed that people actually dig it.
I feel bad for the kids having to grow up with this music, oblivious to all the dopeness that exists
I pray that one day oldschool/underground hip hop will dominate over all this edm bullshit

i'm not saying hip hop needs to be EDM. I am saying hip hop should be at the mass level of EDM. There are more hits on in the dance market than hiphop and back then hip hop dominated with all the producers from 2000 era lil jon, neptunes, timbaland, etc. We also barely know any Hip HOP DJ's compared to EDM DJ's. Rap artists only put out one record each year and put some other throwaway songs on worldstarhiphop which is whatever, they are trying to stay relevant. My point across is hip hop has always been danceable music, why not keep making bangers for the club to listen to? Even back then you would hear some dope lyrics from Biggie or Pun and they still keep it a club record. Even DMX was playing and his shit stays grimy. But i guess those lyrical days are over. I guess all we can settle is that young thug im a stoner b.s

Last edited:
I would like to thank Gucci. If it wasn't for Gucci, then EDM trap wouldn't have nothing to mold into. Not any other rapper. Gucci alone. He deserves the props. Look at trap today. It's the offspring of Gucci and his white girl misunderstanding. When you see trap you see underage white girl pictures with they butt all over the cover. It leaves me out of the picture. What am I suppose to do.....feel like a pedophile while listening to the music? Thank you Gucci, you kept hip hop alive and people don't even know it. If it wasn't for you Gucci, the Juicy J wouldn't be on a Katy Perry song. Mike Will would never have a chance of working with the very powerful Miley. There is a drug that rappers talk about, it's called Molly. I'm trying to think back.......man.....I've never met a black girl called Molly. Thank you Gucci!

I completely disagree. Hip-Hop, as a self-sustaining ecosystem, continues to be the most engaging genre of music simply because it exists successfully in all channels. I have no idea of what you speak of. I assume the OP does has very little interaction with Hip-Hop outside of typical clubs. I suggest Low-End Theory Nights at your local hole in the wall where the Hip-Hop heads live.

Why can't you do both?

There was a time were you could makea song for the club, a song for the streets, and a song for a woman. Why do we have to put rappers in boxes?

Face it Gangsta fools don't exist no more. After all the OG's pass away (Dr.Dre,Ice Cube, ect..) That generation will be done for. Kids born in the 2000's will never experience a gang banging moment in their life basically they won't ever learn the reality of what hip hop really is.

Back