Hi guys, just trying to get feedback and ask about my mixing process

ehxhfl443

Hi how are u guys doing? So basically i want to ask if my overall mixing step and process sound appropriate.

So basically i work at my own room without any good acoustics, but what can i do, i just live with it lol..(crying)

So basically I use my main Mackie MR5mK3 monitor speaker to make the overall track under RMS -4db~6db, do some general balancing and panning. After that, i do some eq and reverb, comparing with some original reference track.

So after i feel that it went pretty well with my main monitor speakers, i switched connection to my Yamaha NX50 speaker, and i get to see very noticeable changes like i get to hear that my snare has too much 'high' compared to the reference song and blah blah.
So i make change on my track based on the Yamah speaker.

After that, i play my track and reference track on other laptop with its own speaker system to listen to how they sound like. And of course, i see the difference, so go back to work on something back.

And after all these processes, even though i have made a few changes, i don't really see the big noticeable difference on the track on my main Makie monitor speakers.

I heard that many Mixing engineers try to listen to tracks at different places and different atmosphere, is what i am doing similar with their process? (In terms of what i could do under my circumstances now) Or is this cause my room acoustics basically suck?

I would be happy to hear advice from you guys. Thanks!

I would be happy to hear advice from you guys. Thanks!

Well, the combination of Mackie near fields + untreated room is probably one of the most challenging combinations out there. What you hear is really not what you get.

Unless your whole mixing process is an A/B reference process from start to finish or you are a VERY experienced monitoring engineer or VERY skilled with metering, your mixes will basically come out not the way you want them to. For many reasons, not only due to the monitors and acoustics but due to your audio interface as well.

Although I am a very experienced engineer, I can honestly say that with the same gear/setup I would definitely struggle.

What you can do is to buy yourself a set of great cans.

Last edited:
Evan cans suffer as well don't they? I use them, They are over Senheisser HD6 Mix headphones... They sound great, though its an artificial stereo field.. I have had some good sound that translates accross a few different speakers.. I guess you gotta use what you have :)

Back