hey, im new to music production. need some tips or advice.

MessiahMarco

so I'm new to music production, specifically hip hop/rap production. i was wondering if you guys can give me some tips and some advice, since most of you are probably way more experienced then me. also i have one quick question. when should i use snares, hi ats, claps? im asking this because i dont know when to use these. thanks for your help and for your time.

learn how to do a 4 on 4 beat

Youtube is a great place to start

and you can also check this out so you're not tied to the internet
Producing and Mixing Hip-Hop/R&B
comes with a DVD-ROM

The DVD-ROM includes multitrack audio files for you to practice these techniques on any audio editing platform, with "mix in progress" tracks that let you check your work against that of the recording. You'll learn essential tools and techniques, sound processing recommendations and tips, and how to reproduce the sounds of professional hip-hop/R&B recordings.

Yea YouTube is definitely a good spot to pick up tips and inspiration. It's cool too cause you can find tutorials specific to whatever you are making your music with. As for you drum question, you're gonna have to use all of those at some point. Almost all my songs have a snare, clap, hat ect. Drums are what keeps the rhythm going!

Back