Help with syncing acapella to a beat

dkelloway

i'm trying to remix, and i followed the warbeats tutorial for syncing and acapella to a beat, but it's not quite working for me. I lined up the high peaks on the kicks and snares so they land perfectly, and in the original song, the kicks and snares land there too. I also figured out correctly the tempo of the acapella and use the "pro default" function in FL Studio to correctly time stretch it.

this is what i've got so far: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6597021

does anyone know how i can improve my remix? what am i doing wrong and how can it be corrected?

thanks,

Darrell

its just off beat still, have you tryed bring in the beat after the words to get a good sense of timing? When i first started remixing thats what i had to do, or just let the first word/noise hit when the first beat hits.

move the vocals toward the front just a little

yo...all you've gotta do is get a BPM program that'll tell you the EXACT BPM for the original song. i acutally use Mixmeister BPM which is freeware to get the EXACT BPM...then i make the beat the same BPM...and voila!!!!!!! INSTANT REMIX! check my myspace...i've got 1 remix on there everybody keeps raving about! LOL!

If your program actually gives you BPMs for acapellas as well you have to usually change it so it's the same BPM as the original track. THEN just make your beat that BPM and notice where the snares end up usually is it RIGHT on the two or is it swung a little bit.

i dont use fl i use ableton live for all remixing and even then i cant always get a straight accap. to fit beats and its usually due to parts of the vocals that were structered for just the beat it was on so i find my self doing the following.

1.Get the basic BPM
2.Chopping the accap. into parts ( hooks and verses usually )
3.Arranging the newley sliced parts and spacing them to fit evenly
4.making loop points
5.adding my sounds
6.chopping the areas that do not sync a little more and moving them till they fit on beat
7.continue with drops, fills and rearranging vocals untill smooth
8.rinse and repeat.

yeah figuring out BPM's is great guys.... but lets not forget that there are other time signature's than 4/4 out there...... if the acapella is singing in a 3/4 or 5/4.... 6/8...7/8... time signatures or even changing time signatures in between..... he'll never get the acapella to match your beat..... just one very important thing to consider

chop chop chop my man.just like full spectrum said. rappers hardly rap on straight upbeats and downbeats every song. a lot of times they do switch up there flow for the track.

yeah, the best way is to chop it up as small as you need and place the attack points of each (music & vocals) together at the same points. Its not as easy as just matching the beginnings of the songs, you got to match almost every "hit" or "attack/"spike" throughout, but also being careful to keep it rhythmical/musical and not rigid/robotic. Matching the tempos is essential but every song has slight tempo variations throughout which is why you need to go through and chop and move parts over here and there until they sound right. Use your ears, not your eyes, nobody can see it once you export out of your program. They can only hear it.

Back