Help with building a producing/recording studio! Please help!

AngryWildMango

AngryWildMango
Hi, I am an Electronic Music Producer (and Graphic Designer) with a lot a friends who are in bands or just play instruments, A week ago I started thinking about building a recording studio for my own use and for others in my small town to use because this would be the only real recording studio within at least 50 miles form where I live. Now here I am a week later and I have the room planned out, with the walls purchased and about to be put up. But I am here to ask acoustic absorbing and panels/traps/diffusers

The room I built is 6ft high with a 14x8ft floor/ceiling. Long walls that are 14ft long and short walls that are 8ft long. The walls ceiling and Floor are all made from Plywood that is 1/2" thick. The room is in the upper corner of a extremely large two door aluminum panel garage.

Now I am getting ready to order bass traps, acoustic tiles, and other sound adsorbents. By the way I read this for help Home...

I was planning on putting corner bass traps in the 8 corners and then doing a checkerboard style placement with the acoustic panels. As in, one wall has a 1x1ft panel every other foot like a checkerboard and the wall across from it will have the opposite pattern.

Not that is a total of 168 foam panels which if I buy these panels Amazon.com thats $230, not including the bass traps.

What I am asking is a few questions.
1. How thick should my panels be? The ones I chose are pretty damn thin and some reviews say they are worthless.
2. I want good quality, but I want to spend as little as possible. What panels/bass traps do you recommenced?
3. Do I need to cover my whole wall? if not, how much should I cover and/or how should I cover it/what is the best way for me to cover this room. Wall dementions again are long walls: 6x14ft short walls: 6x8ft My speakers/setup/computer will have its back to one of the short walls with the speakers aiming toward the other short wall across the room.
4. I am also painting the room. Should/could I use a certain paint or are there paints I should not use?
4. Could you tell me any setups/products/anything I can do to help me make this room great for recording/producing?
5. Any other tips for this room would also be amazing.

The main question is. What is the best way for me to make this room into a proper recording studio?

Please help me with this, I want this room to be extremely nice for producing and recording vocals/instruments.
If you are interested in my music here is my Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/angrywildmango
Thanks for reading and Thank you for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Back