Help needed on synth choice ....

Willburd

Hello Everyone
Ive been doing my head in trying to decide which synth to buy and thought Id ask the great people on this site their opinion.
I need a synth to create sound scapes with , big ambiant sound scenes for spoken word , also I need to be able to create huge thick bass lines and crazy pysco space sounds (another project) for use with live drums and vocals.
Ease of use is important and also sound quality and control.
Ive been reading about the xio synth (but dont like what people say about key quality) , x-station , ultra nova, micron ?
I would like bigger keys than on the micro korg hence its not in the running. But any advice is greatly appreciated.
The budget is around the 600-1000 mark.
cheers
Will

any of those novation synths will do you well, but the first thing that came to mind was a motif(or any other "workstation" synth). the sounds you're describing are different, the best synth for pads(ambient scenes) more than likely won't be the one you'll want to go to for your bass lines. i've heard some less than great things about the micron, but i've only dabbled with it at gc a couple of times, then again i don't really care for alesis' synths besides the andromeda, and even that i would never own. novation makes quality stuff. look here, gearslutz, soundonsound, vintagesynth, etc... do your homework, play them in the stores(especially important so you can find out WHAT you do/don't like), and search your craigslist. don't forget softsynths too(you can get some really evolving soundscape stuff with NI's stuff as well as faw circle, crystal, which is free, sylenth, surge and many others) . so heres my list of hardware for you: motif, nord lead, gaia(maybe... its got its niches), arturia controller/software, triton and/or any workstation. hope this helps, good luck.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

any of those novation synths will do you well, but the first thing that came to mind was a motif(or any other "workstation" synth). the sounds you're describing are different, the best synth for pads(ambient scenes) more than likely won't be the one you'll want to go to for your bass lines. i've heard some less than great things about the micron, but i've only dabbled with it at gc a couple of times, then again i don't really care for alesis' synths besides the andromeda, and even that i would never own. novation makes quality stuff. look here, gearslutz, soundonsound, vintagesynth, etc... do your homework, play them in the stores(especially important so you can find out WHAT you do/don't like), and search your craigslist. don't forget softsynths too(you can get some really evolving soundscape stuff with NI's stuff as well as faw circle, crystal, which is free, sylenth, surge and many others) . so heres my list of hardware for you: motif, nord lead, gaia(maybe... its got its niches), arturia controller/software, triton and/or any workstation. hope this helps, good luck.

THanks Skipperdean
I had a play with the xio / x-station / micron .
Didnt like the micron much at all , nice and easy to use but not keen on the sounds and the control methods (ie sliders).
The x-station was probably a little involved for what I need as im after something fairly simple but with great sounds.
Im going to look into the synths you reccomended soon.
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
Cheers

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Oh forgot to say the xio sounds were cool and at this stage it is winning for sound quality and ease of use.

Back