Help !!!! MV vs Mpc 2500 vs Mpc 1000

Hey guys,

I have had the mpc 1000 for like a month right now. It works great with the JJ os but I must admit I dont like the pads too much. and i pretty much know my way around mpcs since i have been messing with them since the mpc 60 and 2000 were out. ( i kinda always wanted to learn the 3000)

but I think i wanna upgrade to the 2500 or the MV. I see a lot of nice things with the MV. Could someone give me the pros and cons of the MV and the 2500. I was told i wouldn't be really upgrading if i went up to the 2500. However I like the direct record feature because i jam with a lot of musicians and it would be great to sample them into the mpc 25 and make some joints with those samples.

I saw the mv before and that thing looks hard to use but i like the grittiness of the beats that come out of it. Help please........

how is the 2500 not an upgrade from the 1000 with the jjos. feature wise i can understand but the feel is different the 2500 is a lot bigger and has a flip screen. if its a feature war then yes it wont be any different from what Ive seen. i dont own either one but just spending some time with both mpcs and taking a look at the jj os which is best for the 1000 it isn't really a upgrade if you are looking purely at features

Xabiton said:
how is the 2500 not an upgrade from the 1000 with the jjos. feature wise i can understand but the feel is different the 2500 is a lot bigger and has a flip screen. if its a feature war then yes it wont be any different from what Ive seen. i dont own either one but just spending some time with both mpcs and taking a look at the jj os which is best for the 1000 it isn't really a upgrade if you are looking purely at features

i was messing with the mv 8800 last night. I think that may be my next purchase. Im gonna try to get more comfortable with it but I love the pads on it..

Whiz,you have Gear Lust. Make some beats and quit worrying about changing setups around

i think the MV can only have a maximum of 6 outputs plus u have to buy the addon for it (+300). the mv also has the same number of midi ports as the 1000 (again...after u purchase the upgrade). JJos supports 8bit/12bit sample conversions (1000&2500) so u can get that grit with the 1000. At the end of the day...your downgrading...get a used 2500 if u want better pads.

MV is a very clean sampler there really no grittiness to it. The lower bitrate and sampling rate options don't compare to an actual 12 bit or 8 bit sampler.

If you were new and just jumping in I would say get the MV since you will be filling your clean slate with a buncha onboard functions and options.

But since you seem to have alot of experience working with MPCs I say go with the MPC 2500. It will probably be hard to unlearn the architecture of the MPC, its so intuitive and fast to pick up on so you are probably very comfy with it. In a way it would almost be like writing with your right hand your whole life and then all of a sudden changing to your left hand. There are things that you might have to re-learn in terms of workflow and navigating the system. MPCs generally have remained rather consistent throughout their models.

If you need the upgrade I say go with the 2500. It will be a smooth transition. Get the JJ OS for the 2500. But again you won't be upgrading much going from 1k to 25. The 25 is just a bit more ergonomic (with the flip screen) and the pads are bigger. You also get the convenience of the buttons and keypad and 8-outs. The main selling point of the 25 over the 1k tho are the midi ports. It makes sequencing a buncha modules and keyboards much easier. So if that is what you are looking for then go with the 25. Otherwise just complaining about the pads and direct record don't seem like very good reasons to throwdown almost another $500-$600 for the 25 (not to me at least).

youngjboy said:
Whiz,you have Gear Lust. Make some beats and quit worrying about changing setups around

lol.. I think i do .. I think i need some therapy. lol..

Tohtruck said:
MV is a very clean sampler there really no grittiness to it. The lower bitrate and sampling rate options don't compare to an actual 12 bit or 8 bit sampler.

If you were new and just jumping in I would say get the MV since you will be filling your clean slate with a buncha onboard functions and options.

But since you seem to have alot of experience working with MPCs I say go with the MPC 2500. It will probably be hard to unlearn the architecture of the MPC, its so intuitive and fast to pick up on so you are probably very comfy with it. In a way it would almost be like writing with your right hand your whole life and then all of a sudden changing to your left hand. There are things that you might have to re-learn in terms of workflow and navigating the system. MPCs generally have remained rather consistent throughout their models.

If you need the upgrade I say go with the 2500. It will be a smooth transition. Get the JJ OS for the 2500. But again you won't be upgrading much going from 1k to 25. The 25 is just a bit more ergonomic (with the flip screen) and the pads are bigger. You also get the convenience of the buttons and keypad and 8-outs. The main selling point of the 25 over the 1k tho are the midi ports. It makes sequencing a buncha modules and keyboards much easier. So if that is what you are looking for then go with the 25. Otherwise just complaining about the pads and direct record don't seem like very good reasons to throwdown almost another $500-$600 for the 25 (not to me at least).

you make a valid point. The mpcs are not much of a learning curve for me because i have been on them for years. The jj os took me about a good weekend to really get the hang of especially when it came to chopping. I really like the fact that you can add a cd burner and a nother hard drive. I do a lot of chopping on the computer and a ton of sounds. I think the 25k would be a better machine for me. Especially with the flip screen that 1000 screen is annoying...

Last edited:
whizkidtheproducer said:
lol.. I think i do .. I think i need some therapy. lol..

you make a valid point. The mpcs are not much of a learning curve for me because i have been on them for years. The jj os took me about a good weekend to really get the hang of especially when it came to chopping. I really like the fact that you can add a cd burner and a nother hard drive. I do a lot of chopping on the computer and a ton of sounds. I think the 25k would be a better machine for me. Especially with the flip screen that 1000 screen is annoying...

For real man. You been on the go from motif es rack to logic to MV, to etc etc etc. Make music!!!!

Having all those midi ports might just fascilitate your gearlust further. Maybe you should hang on to your 1K.

yea ill fight it guys and just rock my logic studio and mpc 1k. Ill stay away from guitar center and sam ashe lol.... But for real im always on a look out for sounds you know.

i disagree with the fact of the mpc having grittier sound when sampling. the difference with the mv is that you can use a ton of standard of fx to get that gritty sound you want. it has built in eq with a s@#$ load of fx. now, as far as you going from the mpc to the mv, your right there, but i am previous owner of the mpc1k and mpc4k. the 4k is more of a comparison to the 8000 and 8800. however the mv blows the mpc4k away. how? lets start with 128 tracks per song. standard 128 mb sample memory for 24 min mono or 12 min stereo. expandable to 512 for 100 min mono or 50 min stereo. vga option, color screen (8800) linear or pattern sequencing. zero cross sampling, most stable and free os out there. standard mfx bass patches, cd burner standard and modification choice to dvd (voids warranty tho) you could also use 1gig of memory only capable of reading 964mb another working, but could void warranty mod. realtime groove templates, mastering templates (bananas) reads akai format and other formats. direct record and event recording. realtime fx processing. dude it goes on for days.parametric mastering eq, multi band compressor,expander, enhancer. dude it's bananas..

Started making beats about 6 years ago got the privilege to start off with an MPC 4000.
After I sold it bought an MPC 1000 but it wasn’t the same saved up for anther MPC 4000 nothing compared but could afford the 1400$ so I sold it again. Hey I need the money….
Ok now I wanted to make music / beats again.. but no way I have 1400$ for a mpc4000 and I don’t recommend the 1000……
ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
SO after reading a bunch of reviews …I found a MV 8000 for 375$ had to buy it .. 1000$ less then the 4000 …….how is it???????
<O:p></O:p>
I love it took me about 1month to learn and made a few beats already I posted one on my my space so yall can compare it the MPC4000 I also have MPC beats…the mV8000 makes it real easy to sample but I sampled from the TV and it’s a bit static ie but the MV 800sounds good.to me will post more beats as I make them… don’t believe the bad post on MVs ……….1000$ cheaper is way worth it..

go to myspace dot com / d1anonlyproductions

Back