Hello Producers.. check this.. is this a good PC Configuration for Music Production

Intel i3 or i5 Processor

320GB hard disk X 2

2GB Ram

DVD Super Drive

Cabinet with 500Watts Power

WINDOWS XP sp2 or sp3

**No Audio cards for now.. maybe M-Audio Delta later..

the main applications i'm using are Cubase, FL Studio and Reason 4.0, is this enough for home music production?

That's a decent pc. My suggesstion would be to upgrade to a minimum of 4gb of memory and run windows 7-64bit. I was running an i5 processor with 4gb memory and had cubase 5, reason5, and the maschine running flawless.

Just my 2 cents.

That's a decent pc. My suggesstion would be to upgrade to a minimum of 4gb of memory and run windows 7-64bit. I was running an i5 processor with 4gb memory and had cubase 5, reason5, and the maschine running flawless.

Just my 2 cents.

for what???

People can be so rude on here.

Any ways Allen, just make sure that you have DDR 3 RAM. A lot of people have recommended that to me as well. And I did my research on the I3 and I5 processors. So I think you should be pretty set w/ either one. Upgrading to a sound card, is completely optional and may never need to be upgraded.
Do you know of the motherboard that you are fitting your processor to and what is the onboard sound card like? is it 5.1 6.1 or 7.1. I even think they may have 8.1 coming soon or already out.

I have a question for anyone (though I'd like logic7 to answer):

You know how in windows XP you have performance options where you can really alter how your computer works... is there such an option with any of macs osx? (I got leopard 10.6.5 on my macbook (2.16ghz, 4GB ram)

What other things can we do to make CPU and memory usage easier on our computers (besides closing everything except daw/necessary software)?

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

And yes, I'm pretty sure your computer is good enough for music production. I think the 4GB is good but not necessary.

I have a question for anyone (though I'd like logic7 to answer):

You know how in windows XP you have performance options where you can really alter how your computer works... is there such an option with any of macs osx? (I got leopard 10.6.5 on my macbook (2.16ghz, 4GB ram)

What other things can we do to make CPU and memory usage easier on our computers (besides closing everything except daw/necessary software)?

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

And yes, I'm pretty sure your computer is good enough for music production. I think the 4GB is good but not necessary.

http://www.imafish.co.uk/articles/post/articles/130/52-ways-to-speed-up-os-x/

unless you can't use a screwdriver, they're not hard to upgrade at all.

True, but I have heard it's difficult, if not impossible to transfer windows OS from one MOBO to another. Bill G has to get his money each time we build a windows computer. U may know different..

The i5 is probably the lowest you should go. If you plan on recording music in an uncompressed format, like .wav then you're going to need more harddrive space than that. I'd suggest at least a 1TB drive (they're so friggin cheap nowadays). Keep in mind that a high-quality uncompressed track can take up 50+ megabytes!

if your a boss go for an i7 920 - you shouldnt need any higher and this will definitely be enough for you.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
.. 6 gb
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998778

or

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D
something like that... depends on your pockets.

xp cant use more than 4 gigs.. and from my experience for music XP is the shit and windows 7 just hasnt been able to cut it for me... but atm im working with windows 7 and have xp bootable on another hardrive.

2 raptor hardrives ( 10,000+ rpms = fast drive speed times... searching through samples loading files loading projects saving projects etc. )

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500BLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Get a big hardrive for storage.. they are pretty cheap now days 250 will get you like 2 tb lol.

set them up with a raid configuration
Read more about it in the link here RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try and cop a
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

throw all this shit together with any cheap video card really and if you wana be fresh get a cheap soundcard that way you have plenty of outbound possibilities.

this build will fly through any pc work / music / gaming / iinterneting / whatever you have to throw at it. It will be a beast my friend. and you will never have problems making music again...

but in the long run you might just wana go with the top of the line macbook pro hahha....

MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

and whoever commented on my last post telling me that its the processor that makes the computer fast... yeh i guess but not when your working with music you could have some old ass dual core with 12 gb ram running windows seven better than a new i7 processor with 4 gigs.

lol whatever have ffun.

Do you have any tips on how to get the most out of a quad core?

You need to use programs which were designed to take advantage of "multi-core" processors; which is becoming more and more mainstream. What you can do to observe whether all your cores are being utilized is install (if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7) a sidebar widget called "CPU Usage" (it's free). It'll show a real-time graph of all your CPU cores and their usage. I have a Sandy Bridge 2600k with 4 cores + 4 virtual cores and get a kick out of seeing them being used.

Back